gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:05:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys in Englewood, NJ - July 28th, 2009  (Read 5576 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:04 PM »

So I saw the band on Tuesday night. No real surprises in the setlist (similar the other recent posted setlists but with what seems like less songs), though it was the first time I saw them do Their Hearts Were Full of Spring. I've heard bootlegs of the live band doing it, but I never realized that everyone leaves the stage except Mike, Bruce, Scott and Randell. It was perfect. Mike said that they were going to be singing it on Super Bowl Sunday 2011 at the Reagan Library for Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday. During Help Me Rhonda, Dennis Diken of the Smithereens came out and played drums while John came out front and sang.

This was the fourth Beach Boys concert I've been to in three years, and the same old stage antics are getting tiring. Mike going "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen" before Be True to Your School, the cellphones during Surfer Girl, the "female participation" in Barbara Ann...

Don't get me wrong, they sounded great and I enjoyed myself, but it seems like all of their pre-planned "gimmicks" are done with the idea that no one in the audience has seen them in the past few years, if not more.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:25:46 AM »

So I saw the band on Tuesday night. No real surprises in the setlist (similar the other recent posted setlists but with what seems like less songs), though it was the first time I saw them do Their Hearts Were Full of Spring. I've heard bootlegs of the live band doing it, but I never realized that everyone leaves the stage except Mike, Bruce, Scott and Randell. It was perfect. Mike said that they were going to be singing it on Super Bowl Sunday 2011 at the Reagan Library for Ronald Reagan's 100th birthday. During Help Me Rhonda, Dennis Diken of the Smithereens came out and played drums while John came out front and sang.

This was the fourth Beach Boys concert I've been to in three years, and the same old stage antics are getting tiring. Mike going "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen" before Be True to Your School, the cellphones during Surfer Girl, the "female participation" in Barbara Ann...

Don't get me wrong, they sounded great and I enjoyed myself, but it seems like all of their pre-planned "gimmicks" are done with the idea that no one in the audience has seen them in the past few years, if not more.

Brian did the cigarette lighter thing at Guilfest - and that got boring back in 2002 for me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
introibo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:28:00 AM »

I was just at the Hatch Shell concert and the DID NOT do Their Hearts Were Full of Spring!  Boo!  I guess they figured it was too intimate a piece to do with the 30,000 strong mob there.
Christina
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 06:42:55 AM »

Intro - 65K @ Boston!!!!!

2.5K Last Nite!!!

In The Round

Westbury - 7/29/09

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Honda
Do It Again
Surf City
Surfin’ USA
Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Good To My Baby
So Young
Cool Head Warm Heart
Be True To Your School
Ballad Of Ol’ Betsy
Don’t Worry Baby
Deuce Coupe
Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Shut Down
I Get Around 
California Girls
When I Grow Up
Dance Dance Dance
Do You Wanna Dance
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
California Dreamin’
Sloop John B
Then I Kissed Her
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
Disney Girls
In My Room
God Only Knows
Sail On Sailor
Kokomo
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Good Vibrations 
Summertime Blues
Fun Fun Fun

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:48:19 AM »

Westbury - 7/29/09

Surfin’ Safari
Catch A Wave
Hawaii
Honda
Do It Again
Surf City
Surfin’ USA
Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Good To My Baby
So Young
Cool Head Warm Heart
Be True To Your School
Ballad Of Ol’ Betsy
Don’t Worry Baby
Deuce Coupe
Little Old Lady From Pasadena
Shut Down
I Get Around 
California Girls
When I Grow Up
Dance Dance Dance
Do You Wanna Dance
Why Do Fools Fall In Love
California Dreamin’
Sloop John B
Then I Kissed Her
Wouldn’t It Be Nice
Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring
Disney Girls
In My Room
God Only Knows
Sail On Sailor
Kokomo
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Good Vibrations 
Summertime Blues
Fun Fun Fun

I love that setlist!
introibo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 11:41:13 AM »

Intro - 65K @ Boston!!!!!

Really?  I couldn't find any articles quoting a number and we were pretty close so I couldn't see how many were way back behind the trees...

Christina
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 06:54:14 PM »

Brian did the cigarette lighter thing at Guilfest - and that got boring back in 2002 for me.

Yes, but (and this isn't going to sound nice at all...) when Brian does the same old "jokes," it's like your little--or retarded--brother doing them. People cut him a lot more slack because he's clearly not all there. In a weird way, I'd guess people might expect more out of the other Beach Boys than Brian--not in terms of new music, or even live arrangements (not to suggest Brian necessarily has all that much to do with those) or band member selection, but in terms of showmanship and personal presentation. If Brian tells a stupid joke, well, he is a mentally ill drug casualty, right? If Mike does ... he's just lame.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:57 AM »

I think you hit the nail on the head, Luther. I definitely expect more from Mike in terms of personal behavior than I do from Brian.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx