gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:33:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: King Crimson  (Read 3494 times)
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2009, 08:45:04 PM »

So I was reading the "[Band's] best album, and why" thread and was wondering if any other Beach Boys fans are also King Crimson fans. I was going to post something about them on the aforementioned thread, but thought it might be interesting to start a whole new one, considering they are a band that is so different than the Beach Boys.

I think their best albums are their debut "In the Court of the Crimson King," "Red," and "Discipline". Anyone else listen to this amazing prog rock band? And if so what are your opinions of them?

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:47 AM »

I would defenitley agree those are their best albums altough I do like Lark's Tongue and the USA live album as well. They have a few albums and tracks I can't get into but on their best material they can be amazing. At times Bruford and Wetton and later Bruford and Levin could be a positivley devistating rhythm section.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:57 AM »

Time to dig up an old thead, methinks... Cool Guy

Any topic begun by someone calling themselves slothrop (as in Pynchon's awesome Gravity's Rainbow) is okay by me.

I love KC. To the albums already mentioned (except the live USA) I would definitely add Lizard, with its breathtaking "Peacock's Bolero" (a must-hear) and Islands. A more recent album that intrigues me is the somewhat forbidding THRaKaTTaK, a selection of unsettling live instrumentals, including the wonderfully titled "Mother Hold The Candle Steady While I Shave The Chicken's Lip":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2NPybgArPA

All the studio albums I've heard have their share of magnificent cuts.

Any other KC devotees out there these days? 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:11:38 AM »

I like them, but only really listen to In the Court, Larks' Tongues and Red. The other albums are kinda hit and miss for me, mostly miss.
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:08:38 AM »

I like them up to and including Discipline. After that they lose me.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 07:40:08 AM »

It took me a few years to really get in to them but now I'm hooked. In the Court of the Crimson King is the best place to start for anyone looking to check them out. My favourite album by them is Lark's Tongues in Aspic.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 08:31:26 PM »

I like them. In The Court Of The Crimson King is my favorite (I Talk To The Wind is an absolutely beautiful song). I also like their second and third album (In The Wake Of Poseidon & Lizard), great mix of loud and soft and very dramatic prog rock. Their early 80s stuff is rather interesting too. I dig the Beat album.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »

I was a King Crimson obsessive back in the 90s and saw them 6 or 7 times. I've cooled on them considerably (funnily, after accidentally meeting Robert Fripp in Detroit Metropolitan Airport).

I came into fandom by way of In the Court of the Crimson King but, ultimately, most appreciated the 80s line-up and albums (Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair).

I don't think they have a perfect album, but Discipline comes closest, with In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and Red coming in close behind.

I would advise a novice to pick up any of those 4, but be aware that they are remarkably different from each other.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »

I was a King Crimson obsessive back in the 90s and saw them 6 or 7 times. I've cooled on them considerably (funnily, after accidentally meeting Robert Fripp in Detroit Metropolitan Airport).

I came into fandom by way of In the Court of the Crimson King but, ultimately, most appreciated the 80s line-up and albums (Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair).

I don't think they have a perfect album, but Discipline comes closest, with In the Court of the Crimson King, Larks' Tongues in Aspic, and Red coming in close behind.

I would advise a novice to pick up any of those 4, but be aware that they are remarkably different from each other.

I think Red and Starless contain a little too much noodling in places. If they had condensed the best tracks of each on to one record, it would have been their best album.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »

I think Red and Starless contain a little too much noodling in places. If they had condensed the best tracks of each on to one record, it would have been their best album.

I'm with you on that idea. I think Red needed one or two more actual songs in the place of the "Providence" live improv and then you'd have a near perfect album. Their improv game at this time was strong, but "Providence" is not a good representation.

On "Starless and Bible Black," some of the improvs are better than the actual songs which seem somewhat undercooked to me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx