gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:12:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower Live  (Read 9963 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2009, 03:29:26 PM »

Really there is not one single song I would want to remove from the Sunflower line-up, however, as each song perfectly represents a crucial aspect of the group's overall personality.

I agree.

And "Got To Know The Woman" is a great song if you take it with a grain of salt. Sure it's over-the-top, but I'm sure that's how it's meant to be.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

I loveee "Got To Know The Woman", one of my favs. I think it sounds so different & Denny's vocals are amazing, especially when he does that laugh bit towards the end, adds something to the song. Defintley fits Dennis well Grin

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:44 PM »

In a certain sense, that little laugh is the most important part of the song. Without the laugh, it just sucks (lyrically).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2009, 04:44:42 PM »

I read somewhere...was it Catch A Wave?....that Denny's laugh is real because he thought the line "Come on, come on & do the chicken" was so stupid but funny. Am I correct?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2009, 04:47:18 PM »

Really there is not one single song I would want to remove from the Sunflower line-up, however, as each song perfectly represents a crucial aspect of the group's overall personality.

I agree.

And "Got To Know The Woman" is a great song if you take it with a grain of salt. Sure it's over-the-top, but I'm sure that's how it's meant to be.

The one thing I find to be highly enjoyable about this song is Dennis' vocal delivery, which is quite stunning and even more so when compared to the limited range he was going to be capable of only a few years later. While it's probably not a performance as virtuosic as "Slip On Through", here you actually get to HEAR this guy's related to Brian Wilson and he sure doesn't sound like a singer about to lose his voice within such a short period of time.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2009, 05:39:17 PM »

I agree.

The one thing I find to be highly enjoyable about this song is Dennis' vocal delivery, which is quite stunning and even more so when compared to the limited range he was going to be capable of only a few years later. While it's probably not a performance as virtuosic as "Slip On Through", here you actually get to HEAR this guy's related to Brian Wilson and he sure doesn't sound like a singer about to lose his voice within such a short period of time.

Yes I totally agree especially when he says "You got so much soul, you blow my mind"

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2009, 06:02:03 PM »

I've always considered Sunflower to be the Beach Boys' first "adult" album (with Friends almost getting there). And, Bruce's "Deidre" and "Tears In The Morning" contribute to that feeling; they're not the gretaest songs but they seem to fit. I think I'd keep 'em. I would like to hear "Deidre" open Side B, but I also think Sunflower is one of worst sequenced Beach Boys' albums. Opening the album with "Add Some Music To Your Day" THEN "Slip On Through" is a no-brainer...

I like "Got To Know The Woman" a lot, but not on Sunflower; it might've sounded better on 20/20. I think I might've sacrificed it for "Lady". I also like "Good Time", but now you're back to the juvenile Beach Boys again.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2009, 07:33:17 PM »

i enjoy the background vocal answers by brian and the boys on got to know the woman..
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2009, 06:51:32 AM »

I've always considered Sunflower to be the Beach Boys' first "adult" album (with Friends almost getting there). And, Bruce's "Deidre" and "Tears In The Morning" contribute to that feeling; they're not the gretaest songs but they seem to fit. I think I'd keep 'em. I would like to hear "Deidre" open Side B, but I also think Sunflower is one of worst sequenced Beach Boys' albums. Opening the album with "Add Some Music To Your Day" THEN "Slip On Through" is a no-brainer...

I like "Got To Know The Woman" a lot, but not on Sunflower; it might've sounded better on 20/20. I think I might've sacrificed it for "Lady". I also like "Good Time", but now you're back to the juvenile Beach Boys again.

I totally agree, Sunflower could have really benefited from being sequenced differently, but as is it is still one of my very favorite albums.  I like Got To Know The Woman too, but I agree that Lady probably would have been the better choice for the album.  And yeah, Good Time may be juvenile, but it is a really fun song and would have worked a lot better on Sunflower than it did on Love You
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »

I loveee "Got To Know The Woman", one of my favs. I think it sounds so different & Denny's vocals are amazing, especially when he does that laugh bit towards the end, adds something to the song. Defintley fits Dennis well Grin

Love that song too. It is purely Jerry Lee Lewis-style, from the prominent honky tonk-piano to the macho-laugh. I just think the ending is a little bit over the top.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2009, 10:14:23 AM »

I think Good Time would have been a better fit as a Wilson/Jardine composition than At My Window. I agree the album shows everyone's personality except Al's.  Back Home would have worked too I think.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx