gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:21:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds
5 - 12 (66.7%)
4 - 5 (27.8%)
3 - 1 (5.6%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds  (Read 13212 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Wouldn't It Be Nice: Brian Wilson and the Making of the Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, released October 1, 2003.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 06:41:20 PM »

Great great book!  Here's what I wrote on amazon.com back in October 2003:

I loved this book! I have been a PET SOUNDS diehard for six years now and nothing I've read on the album so far has answered all the questions I had. This book does that and more. He explains why this album was so brilliant. He explains wonderfully the collaboration process between Brian Wilson and Tony Asher. He gives a pre-Pet Sounds examination of the Beach Boys catalog to show how Brian grew artistically as well as a post-Pet Sounds examination of Brian's random spouts of greatness. This book has everything you could want. It is written by a man who truly loves PET SOUNDS and understands every fans need to personally thank Brian for this gorgeous album that changed our lives.

A very enjoyable, thorough book..  Classic!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 07:07:33 PM »

Question, though: Does it basically repeat the liner notes for the PS box set? I'm thinking about getting this.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 06:11:20 AM »

A fun, easy book to read with some solid information, including interviews with Tony Asher (who seems to have forgiven Brian for being an 'amateur human being'). I can't say that it's technically correct or anything since I don't really know better, so I'll leave that sort of criticism to others.

Watch out for snakes!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 08:53:51 AM »

This one reads almost like Tony Asher's auto-biography, and that's a good thing. Plenty of anecdotes from Tony regarding the writing and recording of the album, and since he was there that makes this an essential purchase. A nice compliment to the Pet Sounds Boxset.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 07:24:01 PM »

I just bought it, so expect a review in about 3 days.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 09:48:49 PM »

So far, so good. Did catch one error, while skimming. It mentioned Brian helping out on Summer in Paradise. Uh, not!

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 01:12:11 PM »

It talks a LOT about the music.  How sounds were made, etc.  A lot of technical music talk.  Very appreciated.  He tells you WHY these sounds were so special, so influential, so groundbreaking.  It's a lot more in depth than the box set notes.. those were DULL beyond belief.  This book is the Pet Sounds Bible. *****
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 12:18:28 AM »

A very fine read indeed. This book also took me under 48 hours to read. 5 stars.
MBE
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 12:52:12 AM »

The best overall book on the sessions because 33/3rd didn't have anything new except for the authors personal experience with the album,  and the Abbot book while more detailed had the Brian and five a--holes point of view. A good look at why this was a good album and detailed on how the entire group contributed which I  didn't fully realise until I read this.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »

Another great read. Really provides a lot of insight into this essential album. Not sure what else to say. 5/5

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx