gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 08:03:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wendy  (Read 3017 times)
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »

Anyone know if there is a story behind the name Wendy? Brian named his daughter that, the song "Wendy", & then in the video for "Getcha Back" the little girl is named Wendy.

So I was just wondering if the name has any special meaning???

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »

He really liked the restauraunt Wendy's. But the one near his house closed down, so he wrote this song.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »

I was going to go into its etymology. Apparently it may be derived from Gwenhwyfwar (Guinevere). Go figure.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilsonista
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 07:43:05 PM »

Anyone know if there is a story behind the name Wendy? Brian named his daughter that, the song "Wendy", & then in the video for "Getcha Back" the little girl is named Wendy.

So I was just wondering if the name has any special meaning???

I'm guessing he really liked the name. The Wendy character in the video was a deliberate nod to the song.
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »

He really liked the restauraunt Wendy's. But the one near his house closed down, so he wrote this song.

LOL LOL LOL

A discipline daddy.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

I don't know if the name Wendy has any special significance, but I could definitely stare at Wendy Wilson all day long! (Yeah, I know, I'm a typical male!! LOL LOL)

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »

I was going to go into its etymology. Apparently it may be derived from Gwenhwyfwar (Guinevere). Go figure.

Wendy derives from Peter Pan - the name was invented by J. M. Barrie.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:37:10 AM »

I know it comes from Peter Pan, but the source I found--I forget it, but a quick Google search does the trick--hypothesizes Barrie got it from the aforementioned name. Apparently it had also been a boy's name before Barrie.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 07:45:24 AM »

Mike Love wrote some or all of the lyrics to "Wendy"; maybe he came up with name.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:56:24 AM »

I know it comes from Peter Pan, but the source I found--I forget it, but a quick Google search does the trick--hypothesizes Barrie got it from the aforementioned name. Apparently it had also been a boy's name before Barrie.

The claim by the woman in the same article to have found two "Wendys" in the 1881 UK census (actually, there are three - or not, as it transpires) falls down completely if you view the actual images, not the transcriptions: one is a Jessy incorrectly transcribed and the other two are crossings out that look nothing like Wendy anyway !

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »

Well next time I plan to leave an off-the-cuff, semi-humorous post that is only nominally (literally) related to the topic, I'll spend more than a few seconds "researching."  Wink

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »

I don't know if the name Wendy has any special significance, but I could definitely stare at Wendy Wilson all day long! (Yeah, I know, I'm a typical male!! LOL LOL)

Yes, she is very beautiful (I know, thou shalt not covet etc...) I had a serious crush on her and met her at an Al Jardine Friends & Family show in Monterey, before she was married. She was very sweet and gracious (Carnie too) and when she first appeared, in a skin-tight leather outfit, I nearly lost it completely!

But anyway, about the song, I believe the etymological roots actually can be traced to an obscure linguistic branch unique to a specific tribe of inbred Britons from the pre-Arthurian era..... Wink

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »

Yes, she is very beautiful (I know, thou shalt not covet etc...) I had a serious crush on her and met her at an Al Jardine Friends & Family show in Monterey, before she was married. She was very sweet and gracious (Carnie too) and when she first appeared, in a skin-tight leather outfit, I nearly lost it completely!
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Thou shalt covet! Covet, covet, covet!!!

But anyway, about the song, I believe the etymological roots actually can be traced to an obscure linguistic branch unique to a specific tribe of inbred Britons from the pre-Arthurian era..... Wink

Pre-Arthurian? So it came about before people started clapping coconuts together, and quite possibly, before the Knights Who Say Ni ever existed?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »

Mike Love wrote some or all of the lyrics to "Wendy"; maybe he came up with name.

wow, Mike really was on fire lyrically at this point. Such a great Mike - Brian collab.

I doubt there was an actually Wendy, it would of been documented by this point  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 10:04:20 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Thou shalt covet! Covet, covet, covet!!!

Pre-Arthurian? So it came about before people started clapping coconuts together, and quite possibly, before the Knights Who Say Ni ever existed?

Precisely! "On second thought, lets not go to Camelot, it is a silly place...." Smiley

Daly, Chicago 1968
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »

Precisely! "On second thought, lets not go to Camelot, it is a silly place...." Smiley

I have to push the pram a lot!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 11:09:55 PM »

We want your SHRUBBERIES! We have digressed completely from the subject at hand,
so to get back on topic, I like the stereo remix of Wendy on the fairly recent Warmth of the Sun compilation (along with All Summer Long, You're So Good to Me, Please Let Me Wonder & Let Him Run Wild). Like buttah! Cool

Daly, Chicago 1968
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 07:09:25 AM »

This is my wifes favorite BB song, I'll give you 1 guess as to why....
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 07:10:33 AM »

Because your name is Wendy and it reminds her of you?

Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »

Dude, how'd you know? Are you watching us?
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »

I like to imagine the protagonist of the song as being Peter Pan himself.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2009, 08:11:32 AM »

wow, Mike really was on fire lyrically at this point. Such a great Mike - Brian collab.

I doubt there was an actually Wendy, it would of been documented by this point  Grin

But Mike is mr positive! Wouldn't he write how Wendy is gone, but she is still in his heart?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx