gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:08:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Pet Sounds Sessions
5 - 67 (90.5%)
4 - 6 (8.1%)
3 - 1 (1.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pet Sounds Sessions  (Read 51183 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 12:37:12 PM »

It'd be so easy, might as well get it out there before the fans die.

Do you think we're a dying breed?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »

Yes.  In 3075, I doubt there will be much money to be made from a Sunflower box set.  At least they could make a couple of bucks on it now.

Either way, I'm mainly concerned about it coming out before I die.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 05:49:09 PM »

Geez....I'm depressed now.

But think about this! By 3075, Brian Wilson might be held in the same regard as Mozart and everything he does will be archived and released for posterity. Probably won't happen, I feel your pessismistic view might be accurate but there is always hope. I too worry about dying before we get to hear the music we love.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 03:20:59 AM »

By 3075, Mozart won't be remembered either...BECAUSE APES DON'T LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!  Evil

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 12:31:39 PM »

By 3075, Mozart won't be remembered either...BECAUSE APES DON'T LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!

Or more likely, powerful AI robots...
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 12:35:32 PM »

Yes.  In 3075, I doubt there will be much money to be made from a Sunflower box set.  At least they could make a couple of bucks on it now.

Either way, I'm mainly concerned about it coming out before I die.

I would absolutely love a "Sunflower" box set. It's become my favorite album

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 12:44:27 PM »

I just wish that other pop albums could be expanded upon like the Pet Sounds Sessions!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 08:50:11 AM »

This set is a fasciniating look into what is IMO the best pop/rock record of all time!  The Vocals only mix is worth the price alone!  Definately a 5!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 07:40:04 PM »

i love this box set, think its great. plus i got my name in the long booklet...had to buy it for that alone...  LOL

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 06:16:54 AM »

So great ! This is a really good product. Something Capitol isn't necessarily known for...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2007, 03:51:26 AM »

I have no idea why some people didn't give this 5. This box set is brilliant. I have shown people the vocal only versions of some songs and they have honestly stood there with their jaws dropped. Incredible to listen to and a must for any Beach Boys fan who is interested in the creation process of songs or hearing songs in a different light (ie: the backing tracks & a capella versions)
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 11:33:37 AM »

5 stars, this is a great set...

But the "Brian sings lead" version of God Only Knows was a bit of a let-down... there is NO WAY that is Brian!  That is clearly Carl just singing in a more forceful way.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 12:20:19 PM »

I'd say your "clearly" is misguided, especially in that I'd say the Brian lead of GOK is Brian.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »

Actually, it's Bruce! Actually, it's Scott Bennett! Actually, it's the compiler's deceased brother!

This is the only band this stuff happens with. You never see Beatles fans arguing over whether or not George or Paul sang lead on a particular track.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »

I think it's just an amazing coincidence how similarly to one another the BBs did or could sing. Carl could sound like Brian, Al could sound like Brian, Bruce could sound like Al, Bruce could sound like Brian, etc. And when it comes down to it, backing tracks and backgrounds and doublings all do further complicate the sonic picture. It's just not always easy to tell (as the definitive vocal thread shows).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »

Do you agree that if it's Brian in the "Brian sings lead" version, then it's also Brian in the sax solo version?  They are clearly different vocal takes (can't argue with THAT) but otherwise the vocalists sound identical.

There are just certain ways Brian and Carl pronounce certain words.  The way "knows" is pronounced more like "knews" on the "Brian sings lead" version is VERY Carlish.  Brian sings it with a much harder & less diphthongued {o} sound - listen to his replacement of Carl's part of the vocal tag (ie, the bottom) on the mono version, for instance.

Also the way the singer does a bit of a vibrato on the "you" and kind of sounds like he has a cold when saying "me" (in "the world could show nothing to me" - 'm' sound almost sounds like a 'b') is very Carlish as well.

I don't dispute that Brian intended to sing lead on it and sang it at the session ("if you wanna hear it, come on").  It may very well be that a recording of him singing lead in '66 exists.  I'm just REALLY sceptical that the "Brian sings lead" version on the box set is him.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:17:13 PM by Poprocks » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 12:28:55 AM »

I have to say Poprocks, that I have always thought it sounded a lot like Carl too... as you say, just the way he pronounces words etc.. but then again, what do I know? I have always thought that the early version of Good Vibrations with Asher's lyrics was Carl and it is Brian too... and yet, those are the only recordings that I can think of where Brian apparently sings lead and yet he sings in a very "Carl-ish" way.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »

0 stars.  This box set ruined my life.  Before it, I was a confident, creative, originally inclined musician.  After it, I'm a broken, confused, basketcase.

One. Of. The. Funniest. Posts. Ever.

Oh. 5. Before I forget.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »

And: can we locate the culprit who awarded only 3 points and hang him? Just asking.

Jason
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »

Hang him? Maybe something like what happened to the chick in Cannibal Ferox at the end. Smiley

Seriously, a 3?!? I mean yeah, PS isn't my favourite BBs album but I couldn't rate it less than a 5. Maybe this person thinks Keepin' the Summer Alive is a good BBs album. Smiley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »

"Keepin' The Summer Alive" is perhaps my favourite Beach Boys album, or at least top 3 but I gave the Pet Sounds box a 5.  Grin

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:01 AM »

I have to say Poprocks, that I have always thought it sounded a lot like Carl too... as you say, just the way he pronounces words etc.. but then again, what do I know? I have always thought that the early version of Good Vibrations with Asher's lyrics was Carl and it is Brian too... and yet, those are the only recordings that I can think of where Brian apparently sings lead and yet he sings in a very "Carl-ish" way.

Well, Carl and Brian are BROTHERS! They are going to sometimes sound similar. The first time I heard the SMiLE version of Wind Chimes I couldn't tell if it was Brian or Carl (I think its Carl with Brian doubling his vocal). Back when I first got into the Beach Boys I couldn't tell Brian's and Carl's voices apart. I was never able to tell their voices apart until I looked at the liner notes and trained my ears a bit. I always thought the tag to Surf's Up sounded like Al, even though it's actually Brian. I thought the beginning of California Saga Part 3 was Al the first couple of times I heard that song.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »

Hang him? Maybe something like what happened to the chick in Cannibal Ferox at the end. Smiley

Seriously, a 3?!? I mean yeah, PS isn't my favourite BBs album but I couldn't rate it less than a 5. Maybe this person thinks Keepin' the Summer Alive is a good BBs album. Smiley

And this from the guy who stalled the box's release for a YEAR? I got a triple bypass then because of you! You should be dissolved in sulphuric acid!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:03:04 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 04:39:24 PM »

Well, Carl and Brian are BROTHERS! They are going to sometimes sound similar. The first time I heard the SMiLE version of Wind Chimes I couldn't tell if it was Brian or Carl (I think its Carl with Brian doubling his vocal). Back when I first got into the Beach Boys I couldn't tell Brian's and Carl's voices apart. I was never able to tell their voices apart until I looked at the liner notes and trained my ears a bit. I always thought the tag to Surf's Up sounded like Al, even though it's actually Brian. I thought the beginning of California Saga Part 3 was Al the first couple of times I heard that song.

I know they can sound alike, and I usually can tell the difference between their voices but those are the only two that sound like Carl to me... I accept that it's Brian but whenever I hear it I still can't help think it's Carl.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2010, 04:26:13 PM »

'Wouldn't It Be Nice (Stereo Backing Track With Background Vocals)' and 'Don't Talk (vocal snippet)' alone are the worth the full price for this set. Phenomenal.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx