-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Terabyte drives
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Terabyte drives  (Read 11460 times)
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2015, 03:18:07 AM »

Bubbly Waves you've got it all wrong and please correct me if I misunderstood you. The key here is property rights.

You use the word steal instead of receive. No Spotify user steals Capitol Records songs - Capitol Records offers their songs to the public via Spotify. They get paid by Spotify.

Capitol Records has voluntarily signed an agreement with Spotify making their songs available to Spotify's customers. Spotify then signs agreements with their customers (music consumers). Sometimes something costs money, sometimes it is free - it all depends on what the agreement looks like. Free or inexpensive do not equate theft. Record companies need to get their music out there, otherwise no one would attend their artists's concerts, buy their merchandise et c. Offering music for free is a form of marketing these days.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 03:47:29 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2015, 09:07:44 AM »

I am not sure I understand your last post. It is clearly possible to listen to a playlist without shuffling it.

No one is forced to create playlists in order to listen to music on Spotify. You can play albums, single tracks and what not without adding them to a playlist first.

I dunno, any time I'm on an album or playlist I create, and I click an individual song, the icon for 'shuffle' does a little pulse, or flash, or for lack of a better term than those two, a sort of "click me!!" thing, otherwise I can't get anything to play.

I can click "add to queue", but then it throws up a window with GET PREMIUM

Then there's 5 windows you can swipe through that are like:

"Pick any song/Pick and play, on every device."
"Music without limits/Premium lets you play any song, anytime. No ads. No restrictions."
"Listen offline/Take your tunes anywhere."
"No ads/Just uninterrupted music."
"Better sound quality/Listen in higher definition."

So judging from what Spotify is telling me at that point, it definitely seems like I can't listen to the music I want to, when I want to.

So I'm not sure if you actually paid for Spotify but don't remember the fact that you did, or if whatever country (Swedish? Are you Swedenese?  Grin) you live in has different rules for Spotify, but as far as the Spotify app will let my California-living ass do, I'm forced to do shuffle playlists/albums of songs I want to hear, but have no guarantee I'll actually get to hear the songs I want to aside from the first or possibly second tune I want to hear on the album/playlist.

But whatever, it's not important for me, I can just buy the stuff I want to hear.

Yes, I am Swedenese. And so is Spotify, so maybe I am partial. Smiley

Anyways. What platform are you running Spotify on? Have you tried the web player? You can find it here: https://play.spotify.com. Maybe using it will resolve your problems.

Give it a try.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:26 AM »

If you like what someone does, give them a few dollars. No one is entitled to "free" anything.

This is why when I'm out with friends and I'm really entertaining, I demand money from them for my evening of entertainment. They give me a funny look but then I give them the whole "entitled" spiel and then they give me $5 each. At which point, I tell them that the entitled spiel was going to be an additional fee.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 10:36:41 AM »

You sound like an unpleasant person.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »

But I sure can cook!
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 10:49:38 AM »

But I sure can cook!

You owe Bubbly Waves 10 dollars for reading his opinion on you.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 10:51:40 AM by Douche Of Earl » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »

But I sure can cook!

You owe Bubbly Waves 10 dollars for reading his opinion on you.

I demand the dollars be sautéed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2015, 10:21:12 PM »

Bubbly Waves you've got it all wrong

You use the word steal instead of receive.

Sometimes something costs money, sometimes it is free - it all depends on what the agreement looks like. Free or inexpensive do not equate theft. Record companies need to get their music out there, otherwise no one would attend their artists's concerts, buy their merchandise etc. Offering music for free is a form of marketing these days.
On the money. If there is one to blame, it isn't those who get the music, but those give it. We have a saying "Take while they offer or there wouldn't be another chance". And I do it. F.ex., on county fairs, every so often, they treat people food & you can taste anything for free or eat at home, just bring a bag. Our library daily exhibits the books, so we can pick anything we like. I once saw a Doors bio. If someone left Internet cafe early, I take the seat & use the remaining time.
  Then. Some people can't afford a record player coz simply, it doesn't sell. Others don't want to fall into routine of buying CD/vinyl, they want alternative. *Maybe* - just maybe - it is illegal to upload music online for free, but last I checked, they're still up. If it has been against the law, they would've done sth. by now. There is nothing to fret about. It is an established standard.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2015, 10:29:19 PM »

Bubbly Waves you've got it all wrong and please correct me if I misunderstood you. The key here is property rights.

You use the word steal instead of receive. No Spotify user steals Capitol Records songs - Capitol Records offers their songs to the public via Spotify. They get paid by Spotify.

Capitol Records has voluntarily signed an agreement with Spotify making their songs available to Spotify's customers. Spotify then signs agreements with their customers (music consumers). Sometimes something costs money, sometimes it is free - it all depends on what the agreement looks like. Free or inexpensive do not equate theft. Record companies need to get their music out there, otherwise no one would attend their artists's concerts, buy their merchandise et c. Offering music for free is a form of marketing these days.

I was never talking about Spotify. I was talking about the websites that RangeRover frequently talks about, where she steals movies and music.

I see that she has put your final sentence in bold, to which I would reply that an artist or record company chooses to be put on Spotify, while someone who doesn't own the recordings and has no right to post them puts them up on the torrent sites.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:30:40 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2015, 10:32:03 PM »

You can say whatever, but I'm right, you just don't want to admit it & argue for arguing's sake. So there.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 10:35:13 PM »

You can say whatecver, but I'm right, you just don't want to admit it & argue for arguing's sake. So there.

You are the exact opposite of right, which I believe people refer to as "wrong". As for not wanting to admit it... well, there are plenty of things that I would like to say, but won't. So, yes, we'll leave it there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:36:35 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »

Thankfully, the piracy still lives on. And I & others can still download music from Youtube, Vimeo & other sites. No law=no bad=no stealing. I think it makes sense.

You are the exact opposite of right, which I believe people refer to as "wrong".
Don't speak for others. You don't represent all the people who enjoy the advantages & conveniences of digital era. You aren't exactly the voice of reason, with due respect.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 10:47:22 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2015, 10:59:31 PM »

I was never talking about Spotify. I was talking about the websites that RangeRover frequently talks about, where she steals movies and music.

I see that she has put your final sentence in bold, to which I would reply that an artist or record company chooses to be put on Spotify, while someone who doesn't own the recordings and has no right to post them puts them up on the torrent sites.

I was talking about Nebraska. And Alabama.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »

You are the exact opposite of right, which I believe people refer to as "wrong".
Don't speak for others.

Um... I mean... I'm pretty sure everyone would refer to "wrong" as being the opposite of "right". But, just to be sure, we can consult the internet. Let's take a look here:

wrong
rôNG
adjective
1. not correct or true.

right
rīt
adjective
2. true or correct as a fact.

Yeah, those seem like opposites.

You aren't exactly the voice of reason, with due respect.
It's a neat rick, but slapping "with due respect" onto the end of your message in no way makes it respectful. Additionally, I feel it should be said that no one would exactly consider you the voice of reason either.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:36:17 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2015, 11:46:00 PM »

Nice try. but you know I wasn't exactly meaning it that  way. As for "the voice of reason", I only referred to this topic. Based on everything you said here, which is opposite to how we deal with music now, is not what I would call sensible. Clearly, I didn't use it in general. No disrespect shown.

Also, where'd you get the "neat trick" idea? It's a common phrase to end or start with. It's what people do to show they have no bad feelings about the other person. It's one of polite ways in speech. 1st time I read that using it=being sly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 12:53:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »

Nice try. but you know I wasn't exactly meaning it that  way.

Okay, look, this is just getting ridiculous. I  wasn't meaning it that way. I just said that people refer to right being the opposite of wrong. I wasn't speaking for anybody on any subject other than vocabulary. I'm just going to back away now because we're probably being very annoying to the people around us, and I'll leave you to do whatever it is you want.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 11:52:35 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 11:58:06 PM »

I know what you meant then. There is misunderstanding. you said "You're the opposite of right", as if you speak for others & know for sure that when people get music for free, it screams stealing. But it's not. That's what I was talking of.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 12:12:01 AM »

Of course downloading music for free is a crime. Just because something wrong is easy to do doesn't make it right.

I'm an amateur musician, I've released several CDs and records. Beeing in bands and recording music has costed me thousands of euros from my own pocket and as much blood, sweat & tears as any paying job I ever had. It's my music, I created it, so it's only fair that I get to decide what happens with it, right? And if I decide that I don't want anyone to just take it for free but someone does anyway, wouldn't that be stealing? The answer's not just yes, but hell yes.

And it's the same thing for musicians who, unlike me, are rich. If you steal a bread, it's completely irrelevant if you steal it from a rich or a poor company. The same things goes for music.

And if you think that not paying for your music doesn't matter, thank again. Just a few of the changes I noticed in the past 10-15 years:
- Almost all of my favorite record stores are gone.
- A lot of great indie record labels have called it a day.
- It's almost impossible for a new artist to get a record deal.
- Many new bands record their music in their own garages and bedrooms now because they don't make money anymore and can't afford to record in a real studio.
- Prices for concert and festival tickets have gone through the roof.
- I know quite a few great musicians who used to tour all the time and don't anymore, because not making money from their records meant that they had to get a regular job.
- Lots of new records don't even get a physical release anymore.
- Because of people downloading seperate songs instead of whole albums, the focus of the music industry is shifting from albums back to singles, which is great news for mainstream acts and not so great news for the generally more serious album artists.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 06:19:59 AM by shelter » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: