-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Terabyte drives
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Terabyte drives  (Read 11448 times)
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:16:03 PM »

Has anyone put their CD collection on an external hard drive in lossless format?  It looks like terabyte hard drives (containing 1 trillion bytes, or 1 million megabytes) could handle 2,000 or more CDs, depending on the length of the CDs, without any compression of the files at all.

CDs take up a lot of room, while external hard drives are less than the size of a shoebox.  Anyone do this, or tempted to do this?
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 02:49:33 PM »

Just be sure to keep a backup... 1TB is a helluva lot of data to lose should the drive decide to take a dump!

I'm currently working on such a project myself

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 03:51:24 PM »

I was thinking maybe a second terabyte drive as a backup.  The most obvious backup would be the original CDs, but a large part of the purpose would be to make room for other things in the house (we have a lot of CDs but not a lot of room).

Are you keeping your CDs?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 12:08:25 AM »

Just be sure to keep a backup
No, it can crash too. Hard drives are not the best utility for saving music. They are known to create virus, ditto memory card & flash. CD is more reliable. DVD can store a film for 10 yrs, then it gets erased.
I keep the files in my laptop, it's easy & cheap. Every so often, to update/convert to another OS you can save them externally, then have it all back. When the comp isn't working/lots of Trojan, it's all still there. So I say make money & sell the hard drive (up the price). Advertise it. See who looks simple, so you can persuade them to buy. Good business.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:35:12 AM »

A Spotify account = no CD's needed and no hard drive needed.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 01:03:26 AM »

Says you. It's unavailable in Russia.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:23:25 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:56:02 PM by zatch » Logged
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:38:37 PM »

Says you. It's unavailable in Russia.

It's okay, Spotify is overrated, unless you want to pay money for it. YouTube is wayyyy better for hearing songs you want to hear, when you want to hear them.

If you don't want to give Spotify your money, you're forced to add a bunch of songs to a playlist, and then you aren't even allowed to play the playlist in the order you added them! The only option is to "shuffle" it and after a couple tunes, it just goes to its endless list of "songs you may like".

And when it comes to paying artists money for the music they create, Spotify is just barely, slightly above "stealing" or "pirating" music....

No mas, por favor.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:48:24 PM »

The only option is not shuffle. I have the free version of Spotify and you can choose whether you want to shuffle or not:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:50:04 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:16 PM »

The only option is not shuffle. I have the free version of Spotify and you can choose whether you want to shuffle or not:

I can't. You can click on the song you want to play, but it doesn't play the songs, it just makes the "shuffle playlist" icon flash so you click on it....

No mas, por favor.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:33 AM »

I am not sure I understand your last post. It is clearly possible to listen to a playlist without shuffling it.

No one is forced to create playlists in order to listen to music on Spotify. You can play albums, single tracks and what not without adding them to a playlist first.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 03:02:00 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »

It's okay, Spotify is overrated, unless you want to pay money for it. YouTube is wayyyy better for hearing songs you want to hear, when you want to hear them.

And when it comes to paying artists money for the music they create, Spotify is just barely, slightly above "stealing" or "pirating" music....
No, I don't. I want my music free. It is lame to say "you must support your favorite artists", "I only respect fans who buy the stuff". Wha'?? I'm a legit fan. it shouldn't be all about money, that really is a downer when someone says it, we all have freedom of choice. If you don't like the piracy - fine, but don't make it the final word as if what you say is the righteous thing. Don't judge. Such is digital era & only thing you can do is accept it.
Youtube is great in that sense, I agree.

^
Not pointed at you, I brought it along because I felt like saying it, to show a 'classic case' of snobbery.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 10:22:06 PM »

Music is a business and businesses need money to survive. If a company made a food you liked and put it on the shelves of a local store, you would be expected to pay money for it. If people just kept walking in and stealing it, sooner or later, they would stop making that food. You can't just go in and say "What? But I used to steal that food all the time! They can't just stop making it!" It just doesn't work like that. If you like what someone does, give them a few dollars. No one is entitled to "free" anything.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:26:27 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 10:26:43 PM »

Bad analogy to compare food with music. The former can't come out of computer if you d/l it. People don't go in jail if they prefer to get the music for free.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:28:02 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2015, 10:27:39 PM »

Bad analogy to compare food with music. The former can't come out of computer if you d/l it.

Would you steal if it could?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 10:33:35 PM »

My point was that you are as much a fan of, say, the BBs if you don't buy their items. No need to be arrogant & say that you aren't a true fan. I am, because I like them, is  it not enough? I think yes.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 10:40:12 PM »

My point was that you are as much a fan of, say, the BBs if you don't buy their items. No need to be arrogant & say that you aren't a true fan. I am, because I like them, is  it not enough? I think yes.

There's a difference between a fan who actually gives their hard-earned money and a fan who casually and continuously steals your things from the internet. Like, a major, fundamental difference. Whether or not you choose to see it is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:42:47 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44:46 PM »

No, I don't. I want my music free. It is lame to say "you must support your favorite artists", "I only respect fans who buy the stuff". Wha'?? I'm a legit fan. it shouldn't be all about
Paying for musicc?? Not in my backyard!
But srs. in rr defense If I learned a second language and discovered anti-piracy cliches in english  i'd not pay much heed to them either. In russisa piracy lows as freely as the salmon of capistrano. We musnt general
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:45:59 PM by BdubsandJenk =the only two things that matter » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »

If you can have easy access to all the music online, is it really stealing? I'd think they would code it & make sth. so no one can have it for free. Again, this is how things are nowadays. There is no law against it, no one controls it. I'm as a big fan as you are. Whether or not you see it is irrelevant.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 10:48:19 PM »

If you can have easy access to all the music online, is it really stealing?

Did you pay for it? No?

THEN, OMG, I GUESS THAT'S WHAT PEOPLE CONSIDER STEAAAAALLLLLLLLIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:25 PM »

No, I don't. I want my music free. It is lame to say "you must support your favorite artists", "I only respect fans who buy the stuff". Wha'?? I'm a legit fan. it shouldn't be all about
Paying for musicc?? Not in my backyard!
But srs. in rr defens If I learned a second language and discovered anti-piracy cliches in english  i'd not pay much heed to them neither. In russisa piracy lows as freely as the salmon of capistrano. We musnt generalize, except in this case, in whic ive decided that russian pirates are capistrano salmon analong

are you okay, hal
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:50:56 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »

No, but thanks very much for asking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:55:38 PM by BdubsandJenk =the only two things that matter » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 10:55:23 PM »

Did you pay for it?
I don't know why get so emotional over such a trivial stuff. It's not like I steal *your* music. All those artists, they are wealthy & don't give a fig.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 10:59:54 PM »

hal is on a butthash bender
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 11:58:50 PM »

I am not sure I understand your last post. It is clearly possible to listen to a playlist without shuffling it.

No one is forced to create playlists in order to listen to music on Spotify. You can play albums, single tracks and what not without adding them to a playlist first.

I dunno, any time I'm on an album or playlist I create, and I click an individual song, the icon for 'shuffle' does a little pulse, or flash, or for lack of a better term than those two, a sort of "click me!!" thing, otherwise I can't get anything to play.

I can click "add to queue", but then it throws up a window with GET PREMIUM

Then there's 5 windows you can swipe through that are like:

"Pick any song/Pick and play, on every device."
"Music without limits/Premium lets you play any song, anytime. No ads. No restrictions."
"Listen offline/Take your tunes anywhere."
"No ads/Just uninterrupted music."
"Better sound quality/Listen in higher definition."

So judging from what Spotify is telling me at that point, it definitely seems like I can't listen to the music I want to, when I want to.

So I'm not sure if you actually paid for Spotify but don't remember the fact that you did, or if whatever country (Swedish? Are you Swedenese?  Grin) you live in has different rules for Spotify, but as far as the Spotify app will let my California-living ass do, I'm forced to do shuffle playlists/albums of songs I want to hear, but have no guarantee I'll actually get to hear the songs I want to aside from the first or possibly second tune I want to hear on the album/playlist.

But whatever, it's not important for me, I can just buy the stuff I want to hear.

No mas, por favor.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: