gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 01:46:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Composition of Sail on Sailor  (Read 11647 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 05:13:51 AM »

According to some consumer reviews on Amazon, the current DVD version lacks the Beach Boys' music. 
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 09:57:05 AM »

A ha!  Love ya', c-man!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:11 AM »

For what it's worth, I'll add that Stephen Desper played what he thought was the '71 version of SOS over the phone for me a few years back. He wanted to get a fan's perspective on who the lead vocalist was since he thought it was Carl. The track in Mr. Desper's possession sounded almost identical to the released version and I could have sworn the lead vocal was the same Blondie Chaplin lead we're all familiar with (this was over the phone, so I can't be definitive). What was different were the backing vocals which provided a much stronger counterpoint to the lead and sounded much more like classic Beach Boys (made me think of rolling waves). I hope this version sees a release one day.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »

Something very odd is going on here - logically there's no possible way that three songs from the Holland sessions could be included on a movie released in March 1972. But in the recollection of many - too many - folk here, that's what happened.  Shocked

Andrew - I agree completely.  It appears that three Holland tracks must have been completed prior to the release of Five Summer Stories.  I have some notes I placed in the DVD case of my copy of FSS in which I wrote that FSS was first released on 3-25-72 and I first saw it on July 9, 1972.  At this point I don't recall where I found that release date, but it would have been a source that I presumed to be accurate, or i wouldn't have bothered to write it down.  My DVD box notes also state that I first saw FSS on June 9, but the FSS poster I linked in an earlier post indicates it was more likely June 15 or 16.  I don't recall where I got the July 9 date either, but it may have been the tapes I made with a friend, and perhaps we referred to seeing the movie "Sunday" and when I checked a 1971 calendar to come up with a date I was off by a week. 

In any event, the movie was in circulation at least by June of 72, and given the time it would normally take to edit a movie, the producers would have had the audio tracks available generally for at least a couple of months prior to that.  One possibility that occurs to me, although it seems unlikely, that the producers were given rough mixes of The Trader, Calif Saga, and Sail on Sailor, which were used for the orig film, but then replaced with the official releases for the video.  (I don't think the movie came out on VHS until the mid-90s.)  I'm not sure to what an extent such a scenario would still conflict with the presumed timeline for Holland recordings, and, again, it seems rather unlikely, but certainly could be possible.  Also, when seeing the movie again in 73 and 76, I don't recall thinking I was hearing versions different than contained on the Holland album.

I checked my archives to see if I'd saved the article I remember reading in 72 saying that Brian Wilson had given the FSS producers use of the BB music at no charge, but was unable to locate anything.  But, during my search I had to laugh when I read the following almost 38 year old article from the San Diego Union reviewing a Dec 4, 1971 concert I attended (the day after the 12-3-71 Long Beach Concert):  "'No heckling from the crowd, were doing this as best we can for an aging rock group,' explained Mike Love, 30 year old lead singer of the Beachboys ... The Beachboys should realize that their era is over ...  The group is far too old be be singing such juvenile ditties as 'Surfer Girl,' 'Wouldn't It Be Nice,' and 'Sloop John B.'  In another pointed irony to the old age of the Beachboys, the crowd sang Happy Birthday to drummer Dennis Wilson.  He was 27 on Saturday."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »

KGB version:

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, wail on sailor

Over the cities
I see the rooftops
To soothe my poor throat
I pop the cough drops
Often frightened
Unenlightened
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

Just like my mama said.
"Ray, there's a way
But you gotta get yourself out
That ghetto today

You might stumble
You could fumble
When you're down though
Don't feel under"

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

The Ray Kennedy solo version changes the 'cough drops' couplet a little "to soothe my poor soul/I thought a whole lot". He also changed the "wail" to "sail".
I first read those lyrics on this board before I joined as a member. I thought somebody was playing a joke. Grin Those are by far the worst song lyrics I have ever read!

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »

KGB version:

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, wail on sailor

Over the cities
I see the rooftops
To soothe my poor throat
I pop the cough drops
Often frightened
Unenlightened
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

Just like my mama said.
"Ray, there's a way
That ghetto today

You might stumble
You could fumble
When you're down though
Don't feel under"

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

The Ray Kennedy solo version changes the 'cough drops' couplet a little "to soothe my poor soul/I thought a whole lot". He also changed the "wail" to "sail".
I first read those lyrics on this board before I joined as a member. I thought somebody was playing a joke. Grin Those are by far the worst song lyrics I have ever read!

A joke was my first thought as well...those are absolutely terrible lyrics.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:51 PM »

I have a mental image of AGD taking a few days off work, staying up all hours of the night, endlessly on the telephone trying to figure out the 5SS mysteries Grin

And btw, now everybody can see why when I tell them I love the Beatles, The Beach Boys, Dylan, Elton John etc. and they say "Oh, so you're a classic rock fan" I get very angry.

"Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 10:57:08 PM »

hey, if they had left the "when you're coked out" line in the released version, it would have been big fun. Or at least very honest about some members' life style.  Smiley

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »

"I have some notes I placed in the DVD case of my copy of FSS in which I wrote that FSS was first released on 3-25-72"

There's a tiny news item in Billboard dated 3/11/72 that says, simply, "Honk writing songs for "Five Summer Stories" film". I'm just throwing that into the pot with no comment.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »

And that's kinda like what happened ... Five Summer Stories came out in 1972 as 5 interlinked stories - it was shot in 35mm (a rariety for it's time)

According to MacGillivray's site, it was shot in 16mm.

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

And that's kinda like what happened ... Five Summer Stories came out in 1972 as 5 interlinked stories - it was shot in 35mm (a rariety for it's time)

According to MacGillivray's site, it was shot in 16mm.

... me bad ... I'm not going to argue with either Greg MacGillivray or AGD!

I'm guessing the major movie theatre release threw me off - imperfect recollection and all ... which (without cross checking ... again...) I'd guess the first 35mm surf film would have been Bruce Brown's Endless Summer II (which I'm 100% sure was 35mm because I was out at G-Land, Java when they were filming it) - ofcourse this is provided you don't think Big Wednesday, Point Break or Puberty Blues are surf movies.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:19:09 PM by TonyW » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »

Here's a link to a handbill for the World Premiere of Five Summer Stories at the Santa Monica Civic on March 24, 1972:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/five-summer-stories-handbill/SMC720324-HB.html

Andrew - I'm curious what you make of all this.  How does this info impact the presumed recording dates (and locations) of the three Holland songs contained on the FSS soundtrack.  Badman's book indicates that The Trader and California Saga - California were recorded in Holland in June, July, and August of 1972, while Sail On Sailor was completed, with Blondie's vocal, in LA in November 72.  But then again, as you have stated, concerning SOS,  "Brian had already recorded an early version with Steve Desper engineering back in late 1971 (Desper contends that the Holland version "sounds awfully like the one I recorded")."

What do you make of all this?  Unless the original FSS soundtrack was changed, it would appear that these three songs were actually completed (or at least mostly completed) prior to the BBs leaving for Holland.  

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »

Well... a version of "SO,S" certainly existed by fall 1971, so that's not such a poser. The problem with the other two cuts is that late 1971/early 1972 the band were beavering away at C&TP-ST and neither title has cropped up on the AFMs. "California" is accorded a date of 8/15/72 (the day they flew back from The Nertherlands) while "The Trader" has an AFM impossibly dated 8/24/72 in Baambrugge - impossible because that very day they sang backgounds on "TM" by Charles Lloyd in Boston MA before performing on the Common that evening !

As one Mr. Holmes (S.) once observed, "when you have eliminated the impossible, what remains, however unlikely, is what occurred". Snag is, in this case, what remains is also, seemingly, impossible. But we'll get to the bottom of it. We always do.

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 09:46:38 PM »

KGB version:

I am a singer
A gospel singer
I sing for people
I sing for pleasure
Only a dreamer
Who came from nowhere
Sail on, wail on sailor

Over the cities
I see the rooftops
To soothe my poor throat
I pop the cough drops
Often frightened
Unenlightened
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

Just like my mama said.
"Ray, there's a way
That ghetto today

You might stumble
You could fumble
When you're down though
Don't feel under"

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

And the thunder
And the lightnin'
Lord it's frightnin'
When you're coked out

Heartbreak city
Ain't so pretty
When you're down the
Nitty gritty

Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor
Sail on, wail on sailor

What is "KGB"?

A discipline daddy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »

The band who recorded it.

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 11:58:56 PM »

I've always been curious to know to what degree Tandyn Almer contributed to this composition. If I'm not mistaken, SOS was written around the time Brian & Tandyn were reworking old BB songs with new up-to-date lyrics or something like that  Smokin

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2009, 06:50:01 PM »

Since Desper thinks the finished track sounds similar to the one he recorded in 1971, is it possible that the Van Dyke Parks tape recording telling Brian to sit down and write a song was made as a put on to Warners?  Meaning that the Beach Boys were trying to prove to Warners that Brian still "had it" by taking this song that was several years old and marketing it to Warners as a new product? 

I thought of this today as I was mowing the lawn and listening to the Rodney Crowell outtake of Sail On Sailor from Stars and Stripes.  I remember in the Stars and Stripes DVD that Carl asks Bruce a question about the backgrounds for Sail On Sailor.  Bruce was out of the band by the time they supposedly recorded Sail On Sailor for Holland, and I don't think they played Sail On Sailor much live when Bruce was with the band, so why would Bruce know?

Just a thought.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »

Ironically, this article ran in the Sunday L.A. Times:

Filmmaker is the largest independent producer of giant-screen IMAX movies

MacGillivray Freeman Films makes its 70-millimeter movies in partnerships with corporations, foundations and private investors. Among its hits are 'To Fly,' 'Everest' and 'The Living Sea.'
By E. Scott Reckard

August 9, 2009

The gig: Running MacGillivray Freeman Films, which made its first 16-millimeter surfing documentary in 1967 and evolved into the largest independent producer of giant-screen IMAX movies. The company, with 27 employees, produces its 70-millimeter films in partnerships with corporations, foundations and private investors. Based in a former motel and rest home, the Laguna Beach outfit is known for arresting aerial and underwater sequences, soundtracks by prominent musicians (Dave Matthews Band, George Harrison, Sting) and celebrity narrators (Liam Neeson, Robert Redford, Meryl Streep). Starting with last year's "Grand Canyon Adventure: River at Risk," MacGillivray Freeman is introducing 3-D sequences to provide an even more jolting -- or drenching -- sense of immediacy.

Personal: MacGillivray, 64, enjoys mountain biking in the hills near his Laguna Beach home, surfing and other outdoor sports. "The wilderness begins at the water's edge -- all you need is a mask and snorkel." He began dating his wife, Barbara, as a high school junior; they didn't marry until 1980, when they decided to have children. Son Shaun, with a master's degree in filmmaking from USC, is a producer at the company; daughter Megan, who is still a student, works there part-time.

Background: Born in a San Diego Navy hospital in 1945, MacGillivray grew up in a Corona del Mar "beach shack" that his father built. His first film, "A Cool Wave of Color," took him four years of high school to produce, using a camera purchased with paper-route money to film surfers. When it earned back the money he had invested in it, he dropped out of college to make more films, eventually teaming with Jim Freeman, a more experienced moviemaker. Early efforts included "Five Summer Stories," a cult-classic surf documentary; "Sentinels of Silence," an Oscar-winning, Orson Welles-narrated exploration of Mayan civilization; numerous TV commercials; and attention-getting aerial sequences for such features as "Jonathan Livingston Seagull," "The Towering Inferno" and "The Shining."

Tragedy: Freeman died in a helicopter crash in 1976, two days before the premiere of their first IMAX movie, "To Fly."

Breaks and big hits: Impressed with their aerial expertise, the Smithsonian Institution hired the MacGillivray-Freeman team to produce "To Fly" for the opening of the National Air and Space Museum on the National Mall in 1976. The film, still shown there every day, has grossed $120 million worldwide. The only higher-earning giant-screen movie is MacGillivray's "Everest," about mountaineers on the world's highest mountain in the accident-filled climbing season of 1996, which has sold $146 million in tickets. "The Living Sea," released in 1995, is third in gross sales at $100 million.

In the works: "Arabia," planned for release in February, a look at Arab culture and the Islamic faith; "To the Arctic" (February 2011); "Return to Everest" (March 2012); "Humpback Whales" (March 2013).

Goal: Encouraging interest in environmental and world culture issues such as global warming, ocean pollution and overfishing. "My main mission is to educate people in a positive way and get them to fall in love with nature." The nonprofit MacGillivray Freeman Films Educational Foundation, founded in 2004, produces educational programs and funds school activities as a complement to the movies.

Key quote: "When we started making a lot of money back in the '70s, we invested well in real estate. So we . . . have zero debt. . . . We can choose to make a movie even if we don't make a nickel off of it -- although we've never lost money on one yet."

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-himi-macgillivray9-2009aug09,0,6418147.story
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been asked anywhere her, but has it been said if Dennis or Carl's vocal still exists anywhere for the song?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 10:23:25 AM »

I'm not sure if this has been asked anywhere her, but has it been said if Dennis or Carl's vocal still exists anywhere for the song?

As far as I'm aware, no - Blondie's lead was recorded over the previous takes.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx