gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 01:55:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brianīs new Songs...  (Read 14692 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2009, 01:56:35 AM »

Not a problem at all.  Autobiographical lyrics from Brian Wilson don't have to be his own words.  The lyrics clearly reflect some knowledge that Murry had regarding Brian's mental state at the time.

That would make them biographical rather than autobiographical though wouldn`t it? And I would say that it`s far from certain that that`s what Murry was thinking about.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »

That would make them biographical rather than autobiographical though wouldn`t it?

No,  Mike Love's "Brian's Back" and the Barenaked Ladies' "Brian Wilson" are examples of biographical songs about Brian.  When, as in the case of Breakaway, Brian was the song's co-author, composer, producer and singer (at least originally) it can be safely classified as autobiographical.  Do you think that all autobiographies you see at Barnes & Noble are written solely by the person named on the front? 

And I would say that it`s far from certain that that`s what Murry was thinking about.

Murry was Brian's father, for cryin' out loud.  By 1969, he couldn't have been unaware of the mental problems that Brian was having.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »

Going back to lyrics and music, according to copyright law the royalties are split EVENLY between the composer of the melody and the lyricist.  Doesn't matter if you think one is more important than the other, legally it's a 50-50 split unless the composer and lyricist make a separate arrangement (i.e. the lyricist helped write the melody, so would be entitled to more than 50%, or the composer came up with the titles and the chorus lyrics, for example, so would get more than 50%).  Lennon/McCartney split everything 50/50 no matter who came up with what, as they had previously agreed upon.

Even if the composer writes the song without lyrics and lyrics are added by someone later, that lyricist is given a 50% royalty stake in the song publishing and mechanical royalties (interestingly, even if only the lyrics are purblished, the composer gets 50% of the publishing royalties).
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »

Murry was Brian's father, for cryin' out loud.  By 1969, he couldn't have been unaware of the mental problems that Brian was having.

that's why I find it so touching

Murry may have been a jerk but jerks don't sit down to write songs with their son. it almost seems like Murry is channeling Brian's emotions a little bit, or trying to help him out in a way. plus, Murry also had his share of depressed episodes so it's not like he doesn't know the territory. how does Brian reflect back on Break Away these days? he likes it, right? must've been a good experience with Murry that day. maybe there was no arguing or bad words spoken, just love. maybe they went for lunch and talked about everything. it's sweet.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »

I can't shed any light on any of that, but it's a hell of a song.  And it's probably one Brian's most autobiographical songs ever ("I heard voices in my head", "the more I thought of it, I had been out of it", "found out it was in my head", etc.).   

Small problem - Murry wrote those lyrics.  Smiley

Not a problem at all.  Autobiographical lyrics from Brian Wilson don't have to be his own words.  The lyrics clearly reflect some knowledge that Murry had regarding Brian's mental state at the time.

Agree.  "Caroline, No" comes right to mind.  Did Asher once say something to the effect that Brian had more to do with lyrics, and he (Asher) more to do with melodies on Pet Sounds, than people thought? "Caroline, No" and others clearly seem to be linked to thoughts and feelings of Brian's around that time. And didn't Brian often offer titles to start with?

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »

In this video Brian says that he wrote MAD and i took him a week.
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42599209

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx