gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:22:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 35063 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 11:31:26 PM »

Mike would be an idiot to agree to a "reunion" tour because that would dilute whatever drawing appeal the current touring BB has.

Maybe, but how much longer will the Mike & Bruce band keep going? After the Beach Boys' 50th anniversary, Mike will already be in his 70s.
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »

They both said it will NEVER happen and were very adamant about it.

Did they say why it will "never" happen, in their opinion?

Do you actually have to ask why they feel that way?Huh Please.

Well, maybe. Is it "because of Mike?" Because Mike seems very, very ,very open to the idea. In fact, the last five or six interviews I've read, he clearly states he wants to do something.

So then, is it Brian's camp? I think we know the possible reasons, but it's just people curious as to the specific camp holding out. Either way, there's no need to be snobby about it. After all, didn't Al and Dave take time to answer YOUR question?
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 06:45:39 AM »

It seems to me anyway, that Brian's camp may be holding out because Brian is being accepted as a solo artist finally in his life. Giving him a bigger feeling of self worth. I can see why he wouldn't want to give that up easily and go back to just being one of The Beach Boys.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2009, 07:17:17 AM »

Well if they could muster one last hit record, that would create a lot of excitement and ticket sales.

The chances of that happening are slim and none!!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 07:35:43 AM »

Well if they could muster one last hit record, that would create a lot of excitement and ticket sales.

Although... imagine a couple of guys around 70 doing the 'Watusi' on MTV and beating everone at their own game, be it the Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, or U2... it would be rather cool...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »

My guess is the issues between Brian and Mike and their managements.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »

My guess is the issues between Brian and Mike and their managements.

Yeah, but I wonder when the last time was that the respective parties even discussed "issues" regarding a reunion? Were Al and David speculating, or do they actually know something about discussions? I'll maintain that sometimes all it takes is a simple phone call to get the ball rolling...
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 10:05:54 AM »

I didn't mean to come off as snobby and am sorry you took it that way. I was getting autographs from David, Al, Matt, etc when I said".......please don't do a reunion thing........" when they both spoke out that it will never happen, don't worry about that, etc........ I was walking away from the booth and they were both still assuring me. They were emphatic about it. I wasn't about to go back up to them and say "Why?" I assume it is a personal choice and I'm not about to ask why. I have my own thoughts on it and am glad they feel that way.

I was talking with David and some other band members off and on all day from the soundcheck at 9 A.M.  on. I never wanted to corner any of them and start asking silly questions. In fact, all of them were staying at the same place as I and many other fans were. It was a short walk down the street from where the event was held. We'd run into them in the hall, elevator, etc. and all were very nice, down to earth people. They were "off the clock" and we had talk about the food in the restaurant, etc. but never reunion things.

I agree about the management thing posted above and Brian has been away from the Beach Boys group scenario for years now and that ship has sailed. I personally think that Mike does the big talk on the reunion to look like the "nice guy" extending the olive branch and when it doesn't happen, he can fall back on "well the other guys didn't want to do it" excuse. In reality, Mike has always been the one to stir the pot with the lawsuits all along.

I really don't think the "general public fans" give a rat's behind whether or not they have a reunion. I don't think that there is mucho bucks to be made on it either. I'd rather see Brian and HIS band play or Mike/Bruce or Al, but NOT together again. There's too much history there. I think a reunion would not be worth the trouble/heartache/lawsuit that would come out of it and you know there is nothing to gain by doing it.

Sometimes I think we over analyze things on these boards and the reunion thing is one of them. No matter how much we want/don't want it to happen, it's up to the actual people involved and I really think we should let sleeping dogs alone.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:11 AM »

What if you had said ".......please do a reunion thing........" ? They'd have answered "it will probably happen, don't worry about that, etc".

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »

I personally think that Mike does the big talk on the reunion to look like the "nice guy" extending the olive branch and when it doesn't happen, he can fall back on "well the other guys didn't want to do it" excuse. In reality, Mike has always been the one to stir the pot with the lawsuits all along.

I could not disagree more. Of all the surviving Beach Boys, Mike is not only the one who would want it the most, I think it's actually a priority in his life/career right now. Sure, touring around the world with Bruce, his son, and some good guys is a great gig. But, doing a 50th Reunion is something new, something special, and above all, Brian would be included. That's what Mike wants most of all, to do ANYTHING with Brian....
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »

The chances of them having another hit single with a classy song are probably rather small... But with something clever and gimmicky, you never know. Like "Surfin' Macarena" or something.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:08:33 AM by shelter » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »

The chances of them having another hit single with a classy song are probably rather small... But with something clever and gimmicky, you never know. Like "Surfin' Macarena" or something.  Grin

A "Surfin' Macarena" would be nothing more than a repeat of "Wipe Out"!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 12:47:24 PM »

I personally think that Mike does the big talk on the reunion to look like the "nice guy" extending the olive branch and when it doesn't happen, he can fall back on "well the other guys didn't want to do it" excuse. In reality, Mike has always been the one to stir the pot with the lawsuits all along.

I could not disagree more. Of all the surviving Beach Boys, Mike is not only the one who would want it the most, I think it's actually a priority in his life/career right now. Sure, touring around the world with Bruce, his son, and some good guys is a great gig. But, doing a 50th Reunion is something new, something special, and above all, Brian would be included. That's what Mike wants most of all, to do ANYTHING with Brian....

Well, I guess Mike should have thought about THAT years ago before he started all the lawsuits.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 12:52:24 PM »

What if you had said ".......please do a reunion thing........" ? They'd have answered "it will probably happen, don't worry about that, etc".

I don't think so babe. I think they are honest enough to have said something like...."...you never know how things will play out, or we'll see....."  In talking to David, I feel he is an honest guy and wouldn't B.S. me about that. There's a quote somewhere about Brian saying no to the idea as well. I personally think it would be a fiasco and a mess. I don't want to watch a meltdown in progress of my favorite musicians and I think that would be the result. IF it did happen, where would they go from there?Huh I think things are just fine the way they are. Which poet said "You can never go home again"?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »

Ya know I would like to see Brian and Mike sing again, be close.

But a reunion just wouldn't work, it's good to know they realise that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 02:17:05 PM »

Ya know I would like to see Brian and Mike sing again, be close.

We all would like that but Mike has been Mike for so long and Brian hasn't been the friendly cousin either so just the thought of them together again would be so hard to believe - in other words, if you close your eyes and see those two sharing a microphone, I can't help but to cringe because it would seem so fake, so staged, so forced.  I would never believe that Brian and Mike would WANT to be together again as Beach Boys.  They both are so polar to each other.

Time waits for no one!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:18:58 PM by Not Dick Dale » Logged

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »

In the last 48 years in the Beach Boys' arena, meaning composing songs, in the recording studio, or on the concert stage - not at a wedding reception, birthday party, or a courtroom - other than a few months of SMiLE in 1966, when did Mike and Brian NOT work well together?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »

The Lovester's definition of 'Beach Boys', as history proves, is a little loose..... who says he couldn't just get Brian and call it a 'reunion'? Reunions are/were somewhat fashionable, although that none of them have stuck doesn't bother Mike.
And with Brian's stubborn management, it's not looking likely. They'd want Brian at the forefront of a BB's reunion, which obivously wouldn't sail with Mike.

Iwhen did Mike and Brian NOT work well together?

Well THAT isn't subjective in the slightest. Unless you're not talking about quality, rather quantity. They've written a lot of songs, that's for damn sure.  Quality-wise..... hmm.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »

Boy what a negative thread...

If theres a way to bring a fan down about their favorite band, this thread would be the way to go. Cry

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2009, 04:42:48 PM »

Yeah, can't we just have world peace already? Whew, time for me to meditate.....seriously! Ommm..... Wink
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:47:19 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2009, 05:35:35 PM »

Well THAT isn't subjective in the slightest. Unless you're not talking about quality, rather quantity. They've written a lot of songs, that's for damn sure.  Quality-wise..... hmm.

Yes, it is subjective. I think I like about 95-99% of the songs that have a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. But, why don't you try it or think about it. Look at the entire list of songs and see if your favorable percentage isn't in the 95-99% category.
SG7
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2009, 06:39:08 PM »

Not negativity doll, just reality. Sometimes when money and ego come into play, its bound to have problems.

I'm happy the way things are. Not perfect, but it's something.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »

Yes, it is subjective. I think I like about 95-99% of the songs that have a B. Wilson/M. Love credit. But, why don't you try it or think about it. Look at the entire list of songs and see if your favorable percentage isn't in the 95-99% category.

I'm with you there Sheriff - their record is pretty impeccable. Whether or not they could still write decent songs together I don't know.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2009, 07:25:19 PM »

It's been a long time since Mike and Brian collaborated together with music or anything else for that matter. Brian's worked with Tony Asher on Pet Sounds, Van Dyke on Smile, Scott Bennett for TLOS, etc. When WAS the last time he and Mike did a song together?Huh

I think that Brian has passed the musical stage of the Beach Boys and gone further ahead muscially. I was listening to TLOS last night, and the horns, violins, flutes, etc. all the instruments that Brian uses in his band now, is so much more advanced than the Mike/Bruce band. I'm sorry to say that the Mike/Bruce band could just be another tribute band who keep touring the world like so many others. Even Al does new music for goodness sakes.

Surfergirl, this is not depressing, it's something that we "discuss" on a fairly regular basis. Someday, we'll all get to say "you were wrong about that, and I was right".  Only time will tell.
Wilsonista
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:10 PM »

Boy what a negative thread...

If theres a way to bring a fan down about their favorite band, this thread would be the way to go. Cry

How is being realistic negative?

I am not hot on a reunion. Sorry. John Lennon once said of a Beatles reunion "why should we divide the fishes and loaves again just because people didn't believe it the first time or weren't there?"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx