gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680795 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:32:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 35501 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: July 30, 2009, 11:57:05 PM »

The Beach Boys had no Lennon and McCartney, no Harrison, no Ringo.  But just as importantly the Beatles had no Brian Wilson.

Of course it could be argued that after a certain point neither did the Beach Boys. And really, these days does Brian Wilson really have Brian Wilson...?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 31, 2009, 12:17:48 AM »

You're gettin' too esoteric for me, man.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: July 31, 2009, 12:19:39 AM »

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 31, 2009, 04:40:09 AM »

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

No one's trying to take anything away from Brian!!!

Just the idea that one guy all on his own created the Beach Boys formula, is the only thing being even slightly disagreed with!

Yeah, and comparing The Beach Boys with the Beatles is unfair and will get us no where...

Wanna know how I always get out of the Beach Boys vs. The Beatles argument (which ALWAYS starts the moment I claim the Beach Boys as my favorite band) Huh

I simply state that the Beatles are the greatest band in history and The Beach Boys are the greatest vocal group in history! I'm usually greeted with a drawn back fist and I promptly flee!!!!

Maybe I'm nuts or missing something here, but I don't think the "fact" that a small group of brothers/cousins/friends together (no, not equally) came up with the magical formula of the Beach Boys, is a knock to Brian in any way! So they created this formula and Brian went and wrote a ton of killer songs (with Mike and others) and the rest is history! Brian's legacy is untouched!!

Well said.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 31, 2009, 04:51:15 AM »

"With the band's 50th anniversary coming up, Love envisions bringing Brian Wilson and Al Jardine back into the fold. He'd like to see a Broadway show along the lines of "Mamma Mia" or "Jersey Boys.""

Oh...boy.

"I'm a Pisces and Brian Wilson is a Gemini. Astrologists say that Pisces work from inspiration and Geminis sometimes work from desperation ... or melancholy."

If I hear Mike Love use the word 'melancholy' one more time, I'm gonna...I'm gonna... Wall
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: July 31, 2009, 04:54:09 AM »

I absolutely hate musicals like Mamma Mia or Jersey Boys. I'm pretty sure there have been Beach Boys ones in the past. They make lame musicals out of most classic artists' stuff (there's an Elvis one, a John Denver one, a Queen one, countless Beatles ones I'm sure), but there's a reason that most of them aren't popular.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »

Only one of those albums are in my top BB albums. Most of the rest predate 1967. I always felt the early 70's BB tried too hard to be something they weren't.

What??!!  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2009, 06:54:57 AM »

I absolutely hate musicals like Mamma Mia or Jersey Boys. I'm pretty sure there have been Beach Boys ones in the past. They make lame musicals out of most classic artists' stuff (there's an Elvis one, a John Denver one, a Queen one, countless Beatles ones I'm sure), but there's a reason that most of them aren't popular.

GOOD VIBRATIONS was the name of the attempt to do a MAMMA MIA for the Beach Boys. Here's the Wikipedia entry for said musical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations_(musical) ***

I'm a bit surprised Mike wasn't aware that a "broadway-type" show had already been done...or perhaps he's hoping a successful one will be produced.

***For some reason my attempt to create a link is leaving out the closed parentheses which causes it to fail, but click on the search link for GOOD VIBRATIONS (Musical) within Wikipedia and it takes you to the article.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:04:21 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2009, 07:00:16 AM »

Scott Totten was a "broadway-type" show guy b4 The Beach Boys MD.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »

GOOD VIBRATIONS was the name of the attempt to do a MAMMA MIA for the Beach Boys. Here's the Wikipedia entry for said musical:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations_(musical) ***

I'm a bit surprised Mike wasn't aware that a "broadway-type" show had already been done...or perhaps he's hoping a successful one will be produced.

***For some reason my attempt to create a link is leaving out the closed parentheses which causes it to fail, but click on the search link for GOOD VIBRATIONS (Musical) within Wikipedia and it takes you to the article.

Yeah, that was it, ugh. I'm a Beach Boys fanatic and I wouldn't even want to see that.

And by the way,
Code:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations_(musical)]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations_(musical)[/url]
should yield http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Vibrations_(musical)

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »

OK, after over 230 posts and 4100 views, where are we? This appears to be the consensus:

Mike - Not only would he support a reunion, he would PUSH FOR ONE!

Al - All it would take is a phone call, right?

Bruce - While he said something to the effect that he would be happy to sit in the seats with the fans and enjoy a reunion, he would undoubtedly follow Mike's lead and join in.

David - Carrie has posted (for David) on "another network" - and I'm paraphrasing, hopefully accurately - that David would be happy to play with any of the guys, that he enjoys performing good music with them.

Brian - The wild card; this is what I believe will happen. I think Brian will finish his current 2009 tour and then reassess the future. Sometime in 2010, I expect Melinda to gather Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett, maybe Jeff Foskett, possibly David Leaf, and definitely his manager for a brainstorming session. They will sit around Brian's living room and discuss Brian's next career move. Obviously, a Beach Boys' reunion of some type will come up. Melinda will give the "psychological" state of affairs; Darian, Scott, and Jeff will give their "artistic" opinions; David Leaf will give The Beach Boys' angle; and the manager/accountant/attorney will give the bottom line, meaning $$$$$. What do you think Brian will say? Anything? Will he echo what Melinda says? Or his new collaborator, Scott? Or, will he speak from his heart?

There WILL be a Beach Boys' reunion! police
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2009, 11:09:37 AM »

Brian - The wild card; this is what I believe will happen. I think Brian will finish his current 2009 tour and then reassess the future. Sometime in 2010, I expect Melinda to gather Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett, maybe Jeff Foskett, possibly David Leaf...

Flag on the play - definitely not David Leaf, unless something's changed in the last few days.

... and definitely his manager for a brainstorming session. They will sit around Brian's living room and discuss Brian's next career move. Obviously, a Beach Boys' reunion of some type will come up. Melinda will give the "psychological" state of affairs; Darian, Scott, and Jeff will give their "artistic" opinions; David Leaf will give The Beach Boys' angle; and the manager/accountant/attorney will give the bottom line, meaning $$$$$. What do you think Brian will say? Anything? Will he echo what Melinda says? Or his new collaborator, Scott? Or, will he speak from his heart?

Brian will say, "Well, my wife and mangers thought it would be a good idea, and I said "No way, way too scary"... but then they talked me around to the idea and hey it's cool. Yeah. Can I have some birthday cake now... please ?"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:30 AM »

... and definitely his manager for a brainstorming session. They will sit around Brian's living room and discuss Brian's next career move. Obviously, a Beach Boys' reunion of some type will come up. Melinda will give the "psychological" state of affairs; Darian, Scott, and Jeff will give their "artistic" opinions; David Leaf will give The Beach Boys' angle; and the manager/accountant/attorney will give the bottom line, meaning $$$$$. What do you think Brian will say? Anything? Will he echo what Melinda says? Or his new collaborator, Scott? Or, will he speak from his heart?

Brian will say, "Well, my wife and mangers thought it would be a good idea, and I said "No way, way too scary"... but then they talked me around to the idea and hey it's cool. Yeah. Can I have some birthday cake now... please ?"

While you're saying that tongue planted firmly in cheek, that's EXACTLY what I think Brian WILL say.

Obviously, you know something about Leaf's current (non)status, but, don't you think for something as serious as a Beach Boys' reunion, especially with Leaf's knowledge on that subject, that his opinion would be requested?
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 31, 2009, 12:11:07 PM »

Brian - The wild card; this is what I believe will happen. I think Brian will finish his current 2009 tour and then reassess the future. Sometime in 2010, I expect Melinda to gather Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett, maybe Jeff Foskett, possibly David Leaf, and definitely his manager for a brainstorming session. They will sit around Brian's living room and discuss Brian's next career move. Obviously, a Beach Boys' reunion of some type will come up. Melinda will give the "psychological" state of affairs; Darian, Scott, and Jeff will give their "artistic" opinions; David Leaf will give The Beach Boys' angle; and the manager/accountant/attorney will give the bottom line, meaning $$$$$. What do you think Brian will say? Anything? Will he echo what Melinda says? Or his new collaborator, Scott? Or, will he speak from his heart?

Some years ago there was an interview with one of the guys in Brian's band. Not Darian, maybe Scott. When asked about Brian working with Mike again - I really don't remember - he stated categorically: Yeah, I think Brian should do that, it would be good for him. I thought it was very nice.

On the other hand , maybe he was one of the musicians who were let go last year.  police

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:59 PM »

Brian - The wild card; this is what I believe will happen. I think Brian will finish his current 2009 tour and then reassess the future. Sometime in 2010, I expect Melinda to gather Darian Sahanaja, Scott Bennett, maybe Jeff Foskett, possibly David Leaf...

Flag on the play - definitely not David Leaf, unless something's changed in the last few days.
Unless I'm misunderstanding things, David hasn't been Brian's manager for quite some time, right?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: July 31, 2009, 12:25:06 PM »

Unless I'm misunderstanding things, David hasn't been Brian's manager for quite some time, right?

Oh, AGD and TdHabib, I'm aware of that; Leaf hasn't been around as much lately. But, he's probably the best friend Brian Wilson ever had, and he KNOWS The Beach Boys in ways that the rest of Brian's team might not (having lived through several "Brian's Back" campaigns). I think that Melinda would still want and value his opinion. I'm not saying Leaf would be active in the reunion (although he might if there's a DVD), but he will weigh in, IMO....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #241 on: July 31, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »

According to Mr. Leaf, he never was. But that's not what I'm getting at.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: July 31, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »

Oh, AGD and TdHabib, I'm aware of that; Leaf hasn't been around as much lately. But, he's probably the best friend Brian Wilson ever had, and he KNOWS The Beach Boys in ways that the rest of Brian's team might not (having lived through several "Brian's Back" campaigns). I think that Melinda would still want and value his opinion. I'm not saying Leaf would be active in the reunion (although he might if there's a DVD), but he will weigh in, IMO....

In response to your post... no, he hasn't... no he wasn't... no, he doesn't (the BB despise him for how he portrayed them in his book - they would never work with him)... and no, she wouldn't right now.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 31, 2009, 12:44:51 PM »

In response to your post... no, he hasn't... no he wasn't... no, he doesn't (the BB despise him for how he portrayed them in his book - they would never work with him)... and no, she wouldn't right now.

OK, I give. What happened between Melinda and David? I'm a Leaf on a windy day, pretty soon I'll be blown away....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: July 31, 2009, 12:46:51 PM »

OK, I give. What happened between Melinda and David? I'm a Leaf on a windy day, pretty soon I'll be blown away....

Nothing good.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 31, 2009, 01:27:34 PM »

Ah the king of cryptic comments rises again to take his throne...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2009, 01:35:38 PM »

know what? a nice, perfect, satisfying reunion for my money would be to get all the guys: Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Brian, around a piano (played by Brian) where they would play a bunch of songs and talk and it would be amazing and there would be no confusion/bitterness over backing musicians etc, and the Beach Boys would demonstrate all the things we love about them just those 5 guys alone!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

know what? a nice, perfect, satisfying reunion for my money would be to get all the guys: Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Brian, around a piano (played by Brian) where they would play a bunch of songs and talk and it would be amazing and there would be no confusion/bitterness over backing musicians etc, and the Beach Boys would demonstrate all the things we love about them just those 5 guys alone!

Not with the way they sing today....They need the "help" that the studio could provide, or they need amplification, backing vocalists, and singers to "shadow" them in concert. A capella or a simple piano (Brian couldn't play it anyway) would be disasterous.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 31, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »

Ah, c'mon! Al's voice is in pristine shape, same with Bruce, and to an extent, Mike!!!

I think they could pull it off in spades. Maybe they could get Matt Jardine or Carl's son to sub for him, but otherwise, I think it would be magical!!!

Expectations for them to sound exactly like the did in 1960-something would have to be tempered a bit, that's all.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 31, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »

Not with the way they sing today....They need the "help" that the studio could provide, or they need amplification, backing vocalists, and singers to "shadow" them in concert. A capella or a simple piano (Brian couldn't play it anyway) would be disasterous.

I reckon a focussed Brian might be able to tickle the ivories adequately well.

But the prospect of them all piano-hugging together somehow doesn't ring good in my head.

I reckon that if there is a reunion it'll be in a line at the front of a stage – Bruce and Brian can have their keyboard props, Dave and Al contribute worthy guitars, Mike can blow us away with his sax solos* –  with many backing vocalists & musicians in the shadows.

There will of course be subsequent studio work but I doubt it'd be the full line-up in the studio at the same time.

David Leaf can contribute liner notes to any release and I'll check his punctuatio.n

* Okay, that last is the flawed bit!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx