gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:38:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why a reunion won't happen.....  (Read 35064 times)
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:34:41 PM »

The band.

What musicians would they use?  Brian is married to his touring band.  Mike and Bruce have their own bunch of cast offs and Al has his own band of gypsies -- there is NO way these guys could be happy with the backing band.

I just can't see the guys caving to let the "other one" get his way and pick the musicians.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:33:59 PM »

I think that issue (the backing band) is a minor problem compared to just all of them agreeing to something.

I imagine it would be a combination of both bands.  Mike would certainly have his son  in there.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:00:35 PM »

I think that issue (the backing band) is a minor problem compared to just all of them agreeing to something.

I imagine it would be a combination of both bands.  Mike would certainly have his son  in there.

Yes, it would be interesting. However....while Mike would probably insist on major input regarding the overall direction/plan, concert setlist, and lyrical/songwriting credit for any new songs, I'm not sure how much he will push or insist on the band members. I'm sure he'll care, but I think he'll pick his battles. I don't think he would want to risk blowing it over backing musicians.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »

Never say never.

I can't help but think that if Brian, Mike and Al are all still around in 2011, there WILL be some kind of 50th anniversary concert.  Hell, they all have wives and kids and ex-wives and probably even ex-kids.  The money from the concert and the TV special and the CD and the DVD will just be too substantial to ignore.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:13 PM »

As I mentioned before, after speaking with David Marks and Al about a reunion, they say it will never happen, and I totally agree with them. I truly wouldn't want it to happen either. That ship has sailed.................................
Jason
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:36 PM »

I honestly think Mike wouldn't have one thing to say about the live band. The only thing he does is front the group and pay the musicians. Of course, until 2004, Mike had BRUCE as the live bandleader, which naturally led to the disastrous results. Then came Chris Farmer's leadership, and now Scott Totten, who has improved over Chris Farmer's already excellent work tenfold. I believe if Mike truly wanted to have a say in the lineup, he'd just suggest Scott and possibly Christian for the live band, although everyone knows Christian is just doing it to pay the bills as he has zero interest in the band's music despite how well he sings on his leads.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:14:46 PM »

Never underestimate the power of the money and the draw of the attention that a reunion would generate in the media.  Let's see how Al feels if his new tour draws limited interest and his album goes nowhere.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:21:44 AM »

I honestly think Mike wouldn't have one thing to say about the live band. The only thing he does is front the group and pay the musicians. Of course, until 2004, Mike had BRUCE as the live bandleader, which naturally led to the disastrous results.

I may be wrong here, but I believe that Chris took over leading the band in 1998.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:23:45 AM »

Never underestimate the power of the money and the draw of the attention that a reunion would generate in the media.  Let's see how Al feels if his new tour draws limited interest and his album goes nowhere.

...is the correct answer. They changed their minds so often that there is no room for dogmatic theories. A second powerful driving force might be that they must, by nature, get more aware of their mortality by the day (although they never seemed to be very conscious of that in the first place, given the childish rows and fisticuffs in the past). Let me place a brave bet: 50 years, album, and tour. What the album(s), DVD's, and set lists will include is another question.
Plastic surgeons may well be lining up already.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »

and cheerleaders.  Shocked
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:08:37 AM »

and cheerleaders.  Shocked

LOL

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:13:06 AM »

Exactly, urbanite. And look at Al for a minute. He can say all he wants (what EXACTLY did he say DonnaK?), but, if Mike or Brian - or anyone - called Al about a Beach Boys' reunion, do you realize how fast he would say "OK"....
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 06:48:59 AM »

As I mentioned before, after speaking with David Marks and Al about a reunion, they say it will never happen, and I totally agree with them. I truly wouldn't want it to happen either. That ship has sailed.................................

And look at Al for a minute. He can say all he wants (what EXACTLY did he say DonnaK?), but, if Mike or Brian - or anyone - called Al about a Beach Boys' reunion, do you realize how fast he would say "OK"....

Yeah, saying that they don't think it will happen is a lot different than saying they don't want it to happen or wouldn't do it if asked.  As for me, I don't think it'll happen, either.  Too many snags. 
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:18:11 AM by LostArt » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »

Exactly, urbanite. And look at Al for a minute. He can say all he wants (what EXACTLY did he say DonnaK?), but, if Mike or Brian - or anyone - called Al about a Beach Boys' reunion, do you realize how fast he would say "OK"....

We also shouldn't forget that it was Al who tried to get the boys back together in 2006 (which led to him joining Brian).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 07:24:06 AM »

They both said it will NEVER happen and were very adamant about it.
Thunderfingers75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »

Not this sh*t again. Maybe we should all go back to talking about Dennis' hair.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 07:57:46 AM »

Not this merda again. Maybe we should all go back to talking about Dennis' hair.

You think that Dennis' hair will reunite?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »

Did they say why it will "never" happen, in their opinion?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 04:38:19 PM »

Well obviously it cant hurt to hope for a reunion. I personally refuse to think it will "never" happen. You know the old saying "never say never"....

I defintley could see it happening, espeically for something like a 50 year reunion...thats a pretty huge deal. I can just see Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce & David up there now...and the crowds reaction....

I, for one would be such a happy camper!!! Grin

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 04:48:42 PM »

Some people assume that there is a ton of money to be made from a reunion.

Maybe not.

They are not exactly at the pinnacle of the musical mountain at the moment. I think their ship has come and gone, a long time ago, regardless of who is on stage in the band at their "50."
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »

Maybe not.

They are not exactly at the pinnacle of the musical mountain at the moment. I think their ship has come and gone, a long time ago, regardless of who is on stage in the band at their "50."

I don't know about a "ton" of money, but there is SOME money to be made.  No, they're not at their career pinnacle, but they're still one of the best known acts in the world.  People from 5 to 75 know their songs.  And, in some ways, Brian Wilson's reputation as an important musician is greater now than it has ever been. Some kind of "special event" reunion concert for their 50th anniversary could sell out the Hollywood Bowl and could also be sold to one of the major TV networks.  CDs and DVDs aren't going to sell in the millions but they could be sold profitably. 
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 06:19:02 PM »

Maybe not.

I don't know about a "ton" of money, but there is SOME money to be made.  No, they're not at their career pinnacle, but they're still one of the best known acts in the world.  People from 5 to 75 know their songs.  And, in some ways, Brian Wilson's reputation as an important musician is greater now than it has ever been. Some kind of "special event" reunion concert for their 50th anniversary could sell out the Hollywood Bowl and could also be sold to one of the major TV networks.  CDs and DVDs aren't going to sell in the millions but they could be sold profitably. 

Brian's rep is great sure, but his tours aren't exactly breaking the box office.  What would a reunion mean to the general public anyway?  In their eyes the Beach Boys never went away to begin with.  Hardcore fans that post here may get excited about it, but they're the ones that already go to all the shows anyway.
Wilsonista
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »

Mike would be an idiot to agree to a "reunion" tour because that would dilute whatever drawing appeal the current touring BB has.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »

Well if they could muster one last hit record, that would create a lot of excitement and ticket sales.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »

Did they say why it will "never" happen, in their opinion?

Do you actually have to ask why they feel that way?Huh Please.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx