gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 09:23:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another FREE BB Comp  (Read 3053 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1200416/The-Beach-Boys-Sound-Summer-CD-FREE-The-Mail-On-Sunday-inside-weeks-time.html

What the hell is the point of this, I'll never understand some of the moves in the BB camp, it serves no purpose everyone knows these songs already.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:16:34 PM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »

No "propose" indeed.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:36:38 PM »

Why would "Make It Big" be on there?
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »

It is odd that "make it big" is on there. Could that be an accident? ...more like "kokomo"!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »

No "propose" indeed.

Damn spell check

It is odd that "make it big" is on there. Could that be an accident? ...more like "kokomo"!

Nope it's actually Make it big, which makes the whole thing all more bizzare

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:41:12 AM »

Wonder if anyone's going to court over this one...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 04:51:36 AM »

A collector's dream, if you ask me.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:42:38 AM »

What's worse, giving this away with a lousy newspaper (and it is lousy) or asking us to pay full whack for a handful of 'rare' mixes and more of the usual?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »

This is such an insult to the Beach Boys' music. They're giving it away for free with a friggin' newspaper? Can you imagine them doing this with the Beatles' music? What's next, a set of shiny beermats that can also be used as CDs, Beach Boys music included? I'm also not too fond of the idea of thousands of Beach Boys CDs ending up in people's trashcans... And what would Brian have thought if someone had told him 43 years ago that in the future 'Good Vibrations' would have devalued so much that they'd give it away for free as a bait to sell a stupid newspaper?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 07:38:14 AM by shelter » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 07:35:03 AM »

What's worse, giving this away with a lousy newspaper (and it is lousy) or asking us to pay full whack for a handful of 'rare' mixes and more of the usual?

Look at the bright side. An underpriviliged kid, drunken soccer hooligan of a dad, mom's always 'away' for 'business', and then one day dad opens this rag in a drunken sweep and tosses the disk to the kid, 'for you, luv', I already have a shaving mirror...''; and the child smells that familiar alcoholic fume laced with bad cigarette smoke, runs up the stairs, depressed, and still manages to load its CD player (Chinese, of course, works only half of the time), and there are....

the Beach Boys.

A life saving experience. Really.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »

Well, if you want to put it that way, you can't argue.  Someone might be turned on to great music by it.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 10:10:11 AM »

There are some interesting selections here...I Know There's An Answer, Wild Honey, and Make It Big.  I wonder if Make It Big will be remastered?  I really wish they would remaster and re-release the Still Cruisin CD.  The sound could definitely be better.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »

Does it concern anyone else that the CD is called "Sound Of Summer"?  "Sounds" like trouble to me!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 10:13:24 AM »

I really wish they would remaster and re-release the Still Cruisin CD.

Yeah, and pair it with Summer In Paradise (as a 2fer), add a couple of bonus tracks, and it would be a decent repackage.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »

Yeah, and pair it with Summer In Paradise (as a 2fer), add a couple of bonus tracks, and it would be a decent repackage.

I'd rather have Still Cruisin' with all their non-album eighties singles as bonus tracks.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 11:51:32 AM »

I'd rather have Still Cruisin' with all their non-album eighties singles as bonus tracks.

There's enough room for the two albums AND those bonus tracks you are referring to.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 12:43:29 PM »

There's enough room for the two albums AND those bonus tracks you are referring to.

Still Cruisin' is 33:44, Summer In Paradise is 44:10. That's almost 78 minutes in total, and with a maximum playing time of 80 minutes for a CD you wouldn't even have room for one extra song. And there are almost enough "bonus tracks" to fill a second disc: California Dreamin' (2 versions), Chasin' The Sky, Crocodile Rock, East Meets West, Rock 'N' Roll To The Rescue (original version + remixes), Lady Liberty, Happy Endings, Don't Worry Baby w/ The Everly Brothers, Problem Child, Runaway, the tracks from the 4th Of July live comp, Kokomo in Spanish...
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 01:27:20 PM »

Totally agree. Leave off the old songs, put the rest of the eighties singles on it and I would pay for that...Even if the Title was "Make It Big--the Beach Boys suckiest singles of the eighties."
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 01:33:45 PM »

Still Cruisin' is 33:44, Summer In Paradise is 44:10. That's almost 78 minutes in total, and with a maximum playing time of 80 minutes for a CD you wouldn't even have room for one extra song. And there are almost enough "bonus tracks" to fill a second disc: California Dreamin' (2 versions), Chasin' The Sky, Crocodile Rock, East Meets West, Rock 'N' Roll To The Rescue (original version + remixes), Lady Liberty, Happy Endings, Don't Worry Baby w/ The Everly Brothers, Problem Child, Runaway, the tracks from the 4th Of July live comp, Kokomo in Spanish...

Wow, I didn't realize Summer In Paradise was that long. Well, so much for that theory, unless you cut the "oldies", "I Get Around", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and "California Girls". That would free up 7:00 plus the extra 2:00....That would only give you enough for 2-3 bonus tracks. Just a thought....
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »

Well, so much for that theory, unless you cut the "oldies", "I Get Around", "Wouldn't It Be Nice", and "California Girls".

But then it wouldn't be the same Still Cruisin' album we all know and love...  Grin

(by the way I actually like Still Cruisin', and I think it deserves a decent reissue. A SC/SIP two-fer would probably be the best way to do it as it would fit nicely among the other reissues)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx