gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 01:53:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A slew of Brian-inspired originals.  (Read 3547 times)
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:57:17 PM »

All available at http://www.myspace.com/dylansamore

all vocals and instrumentals by me. I hope you smiley smilers like it!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 11:49:38 AM »

Very nice stuff Dylan!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 09:48:16 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to listen! I have lurked on this board for a while but felt inspired to write something when I realized that other people make and share Brian Wilson related music of their own here. A very cool community indeed.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »

I actually don't have time to properly listen, consider or comment at the moment--making this actually pretty rude!--but I did quickly begin Columbia River Gorge and wanted to say I like your voice. Boyish/youthful and almost a little bratty in spots (not in a bad way at all). Great falsetto. Love the vocal arrangements, too. I'll listen and say more later. Glad to see you've decided to post.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 09:34:14 AM »

Thank you so much! I appreciate any and all comments/critique in any way. Thanks for taking your time to give me some of your thoughts. Do you make music yourself as well?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »

Do you make music yourself as well?

Yep. There are some of my tunes in this forum. I don't polish my stuff the way you do, but it's pop, on the whole. Check out the thread here called "a fuckload of my songs" or some such thing. It's probably still on the first page. It's a link to a zip file of 40+ mp3s of my songs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »

Just checked: it is still on this page, and is currently titled "A Whole Friggin Bunch of My Songs." (I didn't say friggin, but the damn filter removes my poetic profanity.)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »

Like the lyrics in the bridge of Columbia River Gorge. So miserable! Nice counterpoint to the music. And I'm a sucker for handclaps.

Runaway is gorgeous. Really a classic sort of pop song that stands up to any in-the-vein modern pop band's tunes. Considering how much I like your voice, I am surprised to find myself saying I think you could probably do a better lead. A few moments of the lead sound tired (which any voice would be singing that song--it is a challenging range for sure).

Held is more ambitious but doesn't hit the spot for me.

The One About Portland. Pretty and fun. Not a fan of drum machines, most of the time, though (including here). Love the synth lead/riff around :50, especially the sound itself. Also like the harmony vocal that joins the verse soon after that. The bassline is cool, but on occasion kind of argues (for lack of a better term) with the faster beats of the bass drum sound.

- INTERRUPTION - I like this music more than, say, the Splitsville "Complete Pet Soul" album that people too often praise. These songs are better.

Other One.  don't really have a comment other than that it's a nice song. The walk-up of the bass and guitar is kind of cool. I'd call this one workmanlike. Ha, and now that I hear the "if you need me-ee-ee" harmony, I laugh at the Beatlesness of that part.

Hogtown. Dig it quite a bit. Again I like the synth tone. Your lower vocals sound different than your others. Are you EQing them to boost the bass or something to flesh it out? Different in tone. Also sound a little plugged up, like you had a cold.

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »

Wow... apparently I've got some listening material to check out!  I've spent countless hours scouring the internet for more brian-styled stuff and have never heard of "the complete pet soul" at all. def. a tip of the hat to both of my favorite bands.

thanks for the in depth review of the tunes! def. some good critique and I still have all the master tracks on my computer so I may revisit some of these tunes to tweak! my goal is to keep cranking out songs on my own over the next year while I finish grad school and then try and form a band in this vein out in Portland, OR when I move next year. Hopefully I can do it! Trying to form a harmony-heavy band is tough...I've tried before.

As far as the bass vocals go, yeah hahaha I need to find someone who has good bass voice as I am probably considered a tenor I guess? Never had voice lessons.

I'll check out your stuff and try and do you the same honors of a blow by blow when I have a bit more time! Thanks again, my man.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »

my goal is to keep cranking out songs on my own over the next year

That, sir, is a noble goal. My two cents is that it's far more valuable to keep cranking out new songs than it is to go back and tweak existing ones. As Andy Warhol purportedly told Lou Reed, "work."

PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

Really great DIY music. I like all of the cuts, and they have a great feel...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 03:00:08 AM »

Thanks for taking your time to check them out. I appreciate it!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx