gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:53:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
5 - 22 (51.2%)
4 - 14 (32.6%)
3 - 7 (16.3%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - I Just Wasn't Made for These Times  (Read 39107 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 11:44:25 PM »

After the publication of his "autobiography", Brian was out of the public eye for a few years, so I was shocked to see him heavier, wrinklier, older in this documentary. I've never really found out what he was doing in those "off years", 1992-94. Thought he seemed very lucid here, though, not the drug burn out many people described. Sure, there's some obvious damage, but he seems more together here than he did at other points in his life. Love the in studio performances, I was used to seeing Brian looking like a deer caught in the headlights in his few live appearances, but here he's really putting himself into the songs. "Warmth of the Sun" is the highlight for me, although seeing Brian with Carl and their mother around the piano is pretty touching.
sunflower
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2008, 09:53:34 AM »

One of the best parts is the guy from Three Dog Night talking about how Brian had him, Alice Cooper, and Iggy Pop over and singing harmonies to "Shortening Bread."  Then Brian did something to make Iggy Pop have to leave, saying "this guys nuts!"  I wish I knew what Brian could have done to scare Iggy away!!

Just that - he got them to sing "mama...papa...mama...papa"

For three hours.

I think that was the same occaision that Brian told his guests to be quiet because the rest of the family was sleeping, then once in the studio, played some tapes over the speakers with the volume up to 11 !!

Little factoid - the first album Alice bought with his own money was All Summer Long.

Well, you gotta love this crazy guy, don't you ?

BTW Alice also went on record saying that "The Beach Boys were the american Beatles an vice versa". To tell the truth I never would have thought he is into the BBs....

I´ve heard Alice say that Pet Sounds is his all time favourite album  Grin
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 02:45:35 AM »

So i managed to watch some of this at my Uni library - they hadn't managed to tape all of it ( Angry), so i came in at about Pet Sounds. I was amazed at his condition - he looked good, but didn't sound sane. I would much rather have Brian as we have him now then that - he seemed very artificial in a way, and a tad unstable. The performances were ok (the best being Do It Again), and I liked the choice of talking heads, too - especially Van Dyke Parks, with the OCA bit being brilliant. Carls explanation of Smile seemed very uncomfortable  LOL Could have had much more about Sunflower/Friends/Love You. I'm surprised they weren't mentioned.

The hardest bit to watch was definitely with Carnie and Wendy. You get the feeling that maybe the reason Brian still isn't present in their lives, and is possibly ok with adopting those kids, is that they have learned to get on without him, which was really sad. Wendy seemed really pissed off, but hopefully some progress had been made.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jimmie_R
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »

One of the best parts is the guy from Three Dog Night talking about how Brian had him, Alice Cooper, and Iggy Pop over and singing harmonies to "Shortening Bread."  Then Brian did something to make Iggy Pop have to leave, saying "this guys nuts!"  I wish I knew what Brian could have done to scare Iggy away!!

Just that - he got them to sing "mama...papa...mama...papa"

For three hours.

I think that was the same occaision that Brian told his guests to be quiet because the rest of the family was sleeping, then once in the studio, played some tapes over the speakers with the volume up to 11 !!

Little factoid - the first album Alice bought with his own money was All Summer Long.

Well, you gotta love this crazy guy, don't you ?

BTW Alice also went on record saying that "The Beach Boys were the american Beatles an vice versa". To tell the truth I never would have thought he is into the BBs....

A lot of Alice´s 70s and latest stuff has much 60´s influences. Smiley
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 01:05:55 AM »

- Extremely ridiculously looking Linda Ronstadt with braids/pigtails & country-styled dress. Jolly ridiculous, I dare say!

More like mariachi style, as it was filmed backstage at one of her Spanish language concerts.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
G.C
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 05:16:07 AM »

Where can I find a copy?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »

Where can I find a copy?

Most recently, on a "twofer" dvd with the An American Band doc....it's quite a good purchase if you ask me.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »

I watched this tonight. I liked it for the reasons AGD cited, and was baffled at how they smooshed his post-Smile career together into one drug-fuelled blur, merely alluding to the creative renaissance of Love You. Not to mention the touchy subject of Landy! The performances were weird. I didn't much like his vocals and the arrangements seemed a bit too Vegas -- "Do It Again" excepted, of course. The way Melinda sat and stared at him for most of the interview bits where she was present was really weird.
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2013, 12:56:26 PM »

Was there any UK release for this documentary on VHS (at the time) and or shown on TV?. Would like to see it but the DVD is in NTSC format.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 05:51:32 PM »

Love the band + back up singers on this..4/5
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »

I watched this again today, and it was a lot better then I remembered it. Though Brian's obviously going through stuff (it was off putting the first time, and it's still sad), what he says a lot seems really thoughtful. Or at least feeling. He really feels what he says, even if he seems drugged up to the moon and back. And otherwise, a great great documentary. The Danny Hutton/Alice Cooper/Iggy Pop story is classic. The bit with Carl, Audree, and Brian sitting around the piano singing 'In My Room' is touching, especially since Carl and Audree died a few years after. And Audree knew the words!
The 'Still I Dream of It' bit is so sad though. It's really one of Brian's most heartbreaking (and best in my opinion) songs.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:56:50 PM by Adult Child » Logged

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 06:01:50 PM »

love this!
the interviews are great...... many great scenes in this for me..

Brian explaining how his dad was so cruel...

Carl talking about 'Smile'

Brian's 'version' of the writing of 'warmth of the sun'...

Brian's daughter's speaking out about growing up with him..

watching the home movie footage while listening to 'still I dream of it'...

and I dig the ending to........ when Brian looks towards Melinda, and says something

like 'were on to something'.......  wow!! who knew at that point in 95',

Brian was about to 'come back' again!

and to end with 'this whole world'........

I really dig the soundtrack more now than when it was released......

Thanks for bringing this up again.......

time to rewatch the dvd, and spin the recently released 'vinyl' Lp of the soundtrack me thinks...

RickB

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »

Great Doc !!!  Puts Brian kinda in the same light as Johnny Cash's American recordings, dark and strange but beautiful. I think he sings very, very soulful on this one.  I wonder why Carl was the only BB interviewed.

Imagine Brian Wilson working with Rick Rubin............. oooohhh!!!

Beautiful sounds could be had!

RickB
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2014, 12:54:23 PM »

I watched this again today, and it was a lot better then I remembered it. Though Brian's obviously going through stuff (it was off putting the first time, and it's still sad), what he says a lot seems really thoughtful. Or at least feeling. He really feels what he says, even if he seems drugged up to the moon and back. And otherwise, a great great documentary. The Danny Hutton/Alice Cooper/Iggy Pop story is classic. The bit with Carl, Audree, and Brian sitting around the piano singing 'In My Room' is touching, especially since Carl and Audree died a few years after. And Audree knew the words!
The 'Still I Dream of It' bit is so sad though. It's really one of Brian's most heartbreaking (and best in my opinion) songs.
I would bet that Audree knew the words to all the songs her sons wrote.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:58 AM »

I would bet that Audree knew the words to all the songs her sons wrote.
She most surely did. I think it was IJWMFTT where Audree said she liked GOK. If ever Brian started the song like that, it would be a nice tribute to his mom. No more "Paul McCartney".
I like that thought.  Cool
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 05:01:37 AM »

I've asked this question in another thread but wasn't satisfied with the answer...

At one point in the documentary, Marilyn mentions that Brian was talking about wanting to die, but that it was "again, very innocent". What does that mean?? I'm not trying to put any blame on her, I can understant she's been through a lot, but I really wish I would understand what she means by that. She certainly felt that Brian was childlike in many ways, but wanting to die? I don't know... I guess it kind of bothers me because when she's stating this from her 1995 point of view. It would have made more sense to me had she made that comment back in the 70s.

Anyway, if anyone has an interpretation...

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2016, 06:01:22 AM »

I've asked this question in another thread but wasn't satisfied with the answer...

At one point in the documentary, Marilyn mentions that Brian was talking about wanting to die, but that it was "again, very innocent". What does that mean?? I'm not trying to put any blame on her, I can understant she's been through a lot, but I really wish I would understand what she means by that. She certainly felt that Brian was childlike in many ways, but wanting to die? I don't know... I guess it kind of bothers me because when she's stating this from her 1995 point of view. It would have made more sense to me had she made that comment back in the 70s.

Perhaps it means Brian was curious about the process of life and death and was curious about the process of dying and the eventual "state", if it exists, of being dead.  In the same way one may be curious to feel what it is like to have a broken limb, or have sex, or a disease, but not actually flit this mortal coil.

I think Marilyn was saying while Brian was interested in death he wasn't walking around threatening to put his head in the oven, rocks in his jacket pockets, bladess to the throat, noosi to the necki and so on.

Re the timeliness, if it bothers you, suck it up.  Marilyn said it in the doco when she said it.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
catlag
Smiley Smile Associate

It's a genuine fact that the Beach Boys rule.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2016, 06:05:15 AM »

Perhaps it means Brian was curious about the process of life and death and was curious about the process of dying and the eventual "state", if it exists, of being dead.  In the same way one may be curious to feel what it is like to have a broken limb, or have sex, or a disease, but not actually flit this mortal coil.

I think Marilyn was saying while Brian was interested in death he wasn't walking around threatening to put his head in the oven, rocks in his jacket pockets, bladess to the throat, noosi to the necki and so on.

Thank you, I think it fits. But he did make direct threats of jumping out windows and driving his Rolls Royce off the Santa Monica Pier, didn't he? Maybe she knew, because she knew him (so) well, that he'd never do it.

Le moineau est venu se poser ŕ ma fenętre.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2021, 10:59:41 PM »

Interesting to read other people's thoughts about this film. I still love it, still think it's the best film about Brian. As I noted before, I wasn't used to seeing Brian really put himself into his singing. He might look a little awkward at times, but he seems fully committed to the material.
Yes, he is older and heavier than in the Landy years, but it's kind of a shock to go back now and see him talking this way, so open and lucid. I thought he had some very interesting insights here, like his comments about humor.
Someone said something about Wendy appearing ticked off about not seeing her dad; I didn't pick that up. I just thought they both missed their dad in the years he was kept away from them. I wonder if that's any different now? It was strange to me that they were touring with Al, but not their own father.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx