gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:23:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike in the Monitor  (Read 5391 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »

Howdy all -- just letting you know that Mr. Love appeared in the pages of the paper at which I work -- a nice little article.

http://cmedit.sx.atl.publicus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090716/ENTERTAINMENT/907160311
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »

Nice one. Thank you !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 11:51:11 AM »

"The 68-year-old Love, who's been doing at least 150 shows a year for the past 45 years..."

I can state with absolute confidence that this is utterly untrue !  Grin

From 1962-1999, the band did roughly 3480 shows, or about 92 shows a year - they may have touched 140 once or twice.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:56:56 AM »

Could it be that Mike's finally mellowing with age, or does he maybe want to keep the door open to a possible reunion? Until a couple of years ago he always seemed so bitter and envious (of Brian mostly) in interviews, but lately he seems to be a lot cooler and more positive.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 01:12:07 PM »

..more positive.

LOL

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

He came across very well in that short article, and I respect that. Here's hoping for that 50th anniversarry material.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »

Could it be that Mike's finally mellowing with age, or does he maybe want to keep the door open to a possible reunion? Until a couple of years ago he always seemed so bitter and envious (of Brian mostly) in interviews, but lately he seems to be a lot cooler and more positive.

Didn't Brian say in that recent European interview (roughly translated here) that he absolutely,
positively would never share a stage with M.L. again? His opinions admittedly change depending on his mood of the moment, but that and a few other recent quotes are pretty strong. They seemed comfortable together at the Capitol rooftop ceremony recently, and other factors might someday irresistably pressure him to reconsider, but he certainly seems relatively opinionated and decisive about that issue. Undecided Huh
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:11:28 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 02:05:01 PM »

...and there's no reason other than conflicting schedules for us not to get together.

So Al's busy doing what?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 02:42:05 PM »

...and there's no reason other than conflicting schedules for us not to get together.

So Al's busy doing what?

Trying to get the Fleet Foxes to sing on his record!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 04:35:22 PM »

Mike seems to be talking about studio collaboration, not necessarily sharing the same stage. So maybe that doesn't conflict with what Brian said?

Who knows. The freelancer who wrote the piece for us said Mike was really nice to her, too.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 04:52:36 PM »

Could it be that Mike's finally mellowing with age....

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. Or, he's resigned to the real possibility that he won't work with Brian again. I've always felt (and posted) that the most important thing in Mike's Beach Boys' life was working/writing/collaborating with Brian. It's something that he always loved doing, had tremendous success with, and never wanted it to end. However, when you're approaching 70 years old, Brian appears determined to stay solo, and you don't know how much longer Brian will actually be able to compose, well....
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 05:46:34 PM »

I think a lot of Brians comments may also relate to the business side of things. If he makes it clear that a reunion ain't going to happen then promoters and punters are more likely to view his shows as the only option to see him. The day he states he is up for a reunion for a album or onstage, the demand for Brian Wilson as a solo artist would dry up.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »

I think a lot of Brians comments may also relate to the business side of things. If he makes it clear that a reunion ain't going to happen then promoters and punters are more likely to view his shows as the only option to see him. The day he states he is up for a reunion for a album or onstage, the demand for Brian Wilson as a solo artist would dry up.

Speaking of the business end....I wouldn't be surprised that, if a reunion album/tour/one-off does happen, it will be initiated by Capitol Records. I don't think the entire reason Capitol signed Brian was because they wanted TLOS. In addition to the comps, they were probably looking down the road a bit. I mean, let's face it, Mike or Brian probably aren't going to pick up the telephone and say, "Had to phone ya just to talk to you. Had to phone ya just to tell you I was missing you."

But I can see a smooth talking Capitol exec contacting the guys, holding some kind of summit, and hashing something out. THEN, the promotion will begin...
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 06:31:02 PM »

But I can see a smooth talking Capitol exec contacting the guys lawyers, holding some kind of summit, and hashing something out. THEN, the promotion will begin...

... fixed ...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:32:03 PM by TonyW » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 06:44:17 PM »

But I can see a smooth talking Capitol exec contacting the guys lawyers, holding some kind of summit, and hashing something out. THEN, the promotion will begin...

... fixed ...

Yes, exactly. police
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 06:56:44 PM »

Ol Brian and his 'handlers' may also have the last laugh. Being the one who holds out the longest can demand the most money. No Brian, no interest (limited anyway) in a Beach Boys reunion.

And to think some here mock Brians management. Wink
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 06:57:59 PM »

He may have been reading all these message boards and saw how people didn't care for his negative mean self concerning Brian.  People change. I saw him and Bruce at a concert last summer here  in New Mexico, and they and the rest of the band were not too bad at all, Mike was very upbeat and joking around the whole show.  

As for a reunion, it would be cool I guess.  It won't be the same without Carl and Denny, though.  I wanna see Al, Brian, Mike, David, and Bruce there....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:20:05 PM by carlydenise » Logged

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 08:17:27 AM »

He may have been reading all these message boards and saw how people didn't care for his negative mean self concerning Brian.  People change. I saw him and Bruce at a concert last summer here  in New Mexico, and they and the rest of the band was not too bad at all, Mike was very upbeat and joking around the whole show.  

As for a reunion, it would be cool I guess.  It won't be the same without Carl and Denny, though.  I wanna see Al, Brian, Mike, David, and Bruce there....

And maybe guest appearances from Blondie and Ricky!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

Anyone else think 'Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys' heading may receive a little more positive interest from the Wilsons?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 12:00:23 AM »

Anyone else think 'Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys' heading may receive a little more positive interest from the Wilsons?

... and apoplexy from the BB camp ?  Grin

And I wouldn't buy that - it never was "Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:01:19 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009, 03:15:09 AM »

Didn't their first business card have Brian as ' Leader' or similar AGD? LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2009, 05:08:03 AM »

True... but the billing was never "Brian Wilson & The Beach Boys"... which post 1965, was just as well.  Smiley

JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 11:12:28 AM »

What about "The Beach Boys Featuring Brian Wilson"?  Might actually seem more favorable than some would think to Mike, since he could keep calling his band The Beach Boys after the reunion.

My proposal is that, at the very least, they put out a third compilation and include a handful of finished, unreleased songs (Still a Mystery, Dancin the Night Away, etc) as well as two or three new, Brian/Mike songs, do a week's worth of shows at the Hollywood Bowl (as others have suggested) with a rotating backing band, turn it into a DVD/PBS special, and make sure one of those songs is good enough for release as a single/promotion all that.  So the fans get their one last hurrah, Mike holds onto the Beach Boys name and has a new "hit single" to perform at shows (a win for him), Brian doesn't ever have to answer any more reunion quesitons (a win for him), etc. Start getting it together in early 2010 so that it's ready to go in the summer of 2011, and that's it. Happy 50th, thank you Beach Boys.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 01:13:25 PM »

as well as at least one lesser known doo-wop song the Beach Boys recorded on their first album.

Does this mean they're adding "Little Girl (You're My Miss America)" to the setlist, or that the reporter made a mistake?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »

'Mike In the Monitor'

Sounds like Mike's updated version of 'Man in the mirror'

Yeah that was terrible.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx