gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:48:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why Did Murry...  (Read 2695 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:26:56 AM »

...'let' his boys (he was manager after all) record 'Bull Sessions With The 'Big Dad''? Did he have a slight sense of humour (or self-insight) after all? Or was he scared of what could happen if he objected? Any ideas?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:42:24 AM »

I think I'm right in saying Murry wasn't actually manager at the time as he had been fired months beforehand.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »

I think I'm right in saying Murry wasn't actually manager at the time as he had been fired months beforehand.

Cheers for that. I was wondering when I wrote it, but now it's cleared up.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:30:53 PM »

This is correct. Murry was fired sometime around the recording sessions for Help Me Ronda. There's a boot that's circulating with Murry and Brian arguing. It's more like a drunken Murry complaining about how he's a genius and shouting at the Boys to tighten their singing. Brian mostly takes it (though he drops a reference about how Murry left him with only one ear), but in the end Murry leaves the studio.

Bull Sessions is just following the standard filler of the time. The band should've just included All Dressed Up for School instead. I suppose it would've offset the whole poppy side one/ballad side two thing, but still, it would've been a song at least.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »

Murry was fired much earlier than that, something like a year previously, during the sessions for "I Get Around" - probably the April 2nd 1964 one.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »

Good to know. Well I guess he was still hanging around the studio annoying the guys I guess. Here's a blog that has some of that audio during the Help Me Ronda sessions in case anyone hasn't heard it:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/10/im_a_genius_too.html

Murry's repeated suggestion that Al sings "sexy and soft" is pretty hilarious. But I could understand how the guys found him annoying as all hell.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:02:03 PM by slothrop » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »

The infamous "Rhonda" session was Murry's last until he and Audree went to a Pet Sounds session ("Wouldn't It Be Nice," I believe)...is that right AGD?

As much as I enjoy "Bull Session" from time to time, I think the thing to do would have been to record "Guess I'm Dumb" with the Boys only, throw it somewhere on side 2 and end with "In the Back of My Mind."  I wish "All Dressed Up for School" had been on there as well, but definitely not on side 2.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 02:33:59 PM »

Ummm... not sure he was at a "WIBN" session - American Family makes it look that way, but the dialog is all from the "Rhonda" session mentioned previously. I know he was at a vocal session for "Friends" (the song).

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 02:35:45 PM »

Yeah, he does a bass vocal on a part of Friends, correct?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 02:43:53 PM »

With the audio of Murry at Help Me Rhonda session now having commonly circulated in BB's fan circles and beyond for a good ten years there seems to be a growing incorrect consensus thrust into rock history circles that Murry was fired during/after the Rhonda session. Slothrop is very sure in his orig. post, and he's far from the first, I've had several people in recent years "correct" me when I mentioned that Murry was fired during the I Get Around session. Of course they were the ones who were mistaken, but the Rhonda boot has created a mini-generation of BB's/Brian fans who believe they were hearing Murry securing the noose around his neck during that '65 session. In fact Murry was an anomaly at a BB's session by that point, and if you listen you can hear him explaining to Brian why he's even there(Carl invited him, and Audree, down). Having recently heard a series of Jan. '64 sessions for Don't Worry Baby and four other tracks, it was evident that Murry was not at these sessions, at one point the band mentions the fact in a celebratory kind of way. I think Murry was on his last legs as a studio participant by the beginning of '64, with I Get Around definitely being the last straw. Anything after that is just a very temporary sideshow.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »

Ummm... not sure he was at a "WIBN" session - American Family makes it look that way, but the dialog is all from the "Rhonda" session mentioned previously. I know he was at a vocal session for "Friends" (the song).

Thanks Andrew, the movie is probably where I got that idea from. 
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:08:43 PM »

Funny that this should come up. During a joint Al & Billy H. interview yesterday, the three of us were talking about the "Friends" sessions (namely "Be Here In The Morning.") Al said that although Murry definitely DID NOT arrange any "Friends" vocal sessions, he IS vocally present on the track, specifically on the "... make my life FULL" line.

That said, Al doesn't ever remember recording anything at ID Sound -- but also can't think of one instance when he ever saw Murry at Bellagio.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »

With the audio of Murry at Help Me Rhonda session now having commonly circulated in BB's fan circles and beyond for a good ten years there seems to be a growing incorrect consensus thrust into rock history circles that Murry was fired during/after the Rhonda session. Slothrop is very sure in his orig. post, and he's far from the first, I've had several people in recent years "correct" me when I mentioned that Murry was fired during the I Get Around session. Of course they were the ones who were mistaken, but the Rhonda boot has created a mini-generation of BB's/Brian fans who believe they were hearing Murry securing the noose around his neck during that '65 session. In fact Murry was an anomaly at a BB's session by that point, and if you listen you can hear him explaining to Brian why he's even there(Carl invited him, and Audree, down). Having recently heard a series of Jan. '64 sessions for Don't Worry Baby and four other tracks, it was evident that Murry was not at these sessions, at one point the band mentions the fact in a celebratory kind of way. I think Murry was on his last legs as a studio participant by the beginning of '64, with I Get Around definitely being the last straw. Anything after that is just a very temporary sideshow.
Count me as one of the people who thought Murry was fired during the Help Me Rhonda session too. What happened at the "I Get Around" session?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:32:40 PM »

What happened at the "I Get Around" session?

Conventional knowledge is that Murry finally broke the camel's back, so to speak, with his interloping where it wasn't wanted or needed and Brian slugged him and told him he was fired.  As with any story, that is probably over simplication but that's what I've always heard.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50:49 PM »

I seen it written more than once that Brian actually pinned him to the wall.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »

BRIAN, of all people?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »

I know - he must have really been pissed.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »

There was something similar in the Summer Dreams movie, but I thought I remembered it being about Dennis somehow.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx