gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 09:56:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love sings a fragment of Old Master Painter during Pet Sounds Vox Session  (Read 1926 times)
The Song Of The Grange
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:15:09 PM »

I just noticed this evening that during a vocal overdub session for "I Know There's An Answer" Mike sings a fragment of a verse from Old Master Painter.  Clearly it has nothing to do with the Smile track, but I found it interesting for obvious reasons.  I think this might have been the 2/9/66 vocal session.  Now I need to go back and try to work it into my OMP Smile mix.  And here I was thinking I was done with my Smile mix....
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:51:10 AM »

I remember reading somewhere (on an old mailing list or message board) that Mike once made the comment that Brian got the idea of OMP from some old black guy who came into the studio and sang it. Don't remember the specifics, or if there were any other details.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:01:45 AM »

I remember reading somewhere (on an old mailing list or message board) that Mike once made the comment that Brian got the idea of OMP from some old black guy who came into the studio and sang it. Don't remember the specifics, or if there were any other details.

It's in the Byron Preiss book, on page 62:

"Old Master Painter -- that was an old, obscure... black gospel sort of thing, sung by an old fellow that came by Brian's house one night. --Mike"
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:29:05 AM »

When I saw Brian perform BWPS in 2004, he actually sang the lyric excerpt of "Old Master Painter" during the cello line before transitioning into "Your Were My Sunshine".

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian was thinking about how "Old Master Painter" functioned in SMiLE when he decided to use "That Lucky Old Sun" as a link track for TLOS.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:37:52 AM »

Yeah, it's interesting that long after the Preiss book came out, that Pet sounds session comment by Mike appears on the SOT series - I presume the black guy who sang it had just recently been at Brian's house with Mike present for him to recall it at that time.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 11:18:53 PM »

When I saw Brian perform BWPS in 2004, he actually sang the lyric excerpt of "Old Master Painter" during the cello line before transitioning into "Your Were My Sunshine".

I wouldn't be surprised if Brian was thinking about how "Old Master Painter" functioned in SMiLE when he decided to use "That Lucky Old Sun" as a link track for TLOS.

Yeah, I remembering hearing reports about this.  IIRC, Brian's addition of the OMP lyrics was limited to the latter shows on the 2004 tour -- after the BWPS CD had been recorded and released.  It would have been cool if those lyrics had made it on to the CD version.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 11:53:46 PM »

Yeah, I remembering hearing reports about this.  IIRC, Brian's addition of the OMP lyrics was limited to the latter shows on the 2004 tour -- after the BWPS CD had been recorded and released.  It would have been cool if those lyrics had made it on to the CD version.

Anybody know if any audience recordings of those shows circulated?  I'd love to hear that...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx