gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680874 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:28:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Was Love You/15 Big Ones the first recorded use of the Pollard Syndrum?  (Read 2735 times)
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »

Something I came across recently...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollard_Syndrum
The Pollard Syndrum was one of the first electronic drums. It was invented by Joe Pollard, a drummer for the Beach Boys and Grass Roots (and also a studio drummer). In 1976, he met Mark Barton, who had designed and built some working prototypes

According to Love You personnel, Brian Wilson plays "electronic drums". How likely would it have been for it to have been Pollard's? Probably very high. According to Wiki, the only other elec drums in existence were built by Graeme Edge, and they weren't that much available to the public.

So what does a Pollard Syndrum actually sound like? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsfXNOmo7Pg

On Love You? I think I can pick it out on the right channel for Roller Skating Child... there's a synthesized "baow, baow" percussion that sounds like a Syndrum. Otherwise I can't tell off the top of my head how many other times elec drums were used on the album.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »

I love this kinda stuff, thanks for the link!

Jim Mothersbaugh's crazy homemade "electronic drums" for the nascent DEVO were earlier and super fun. But I think those were just guitar pickups on pads running through all manner of effects pedals. Still, you knew the lad was destined to work for Roland!

Kinda similar to what Kraftwerk was doing around that point, Tomorrow's World had a fun fetishy closeup of their drum rig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s5pZCrOxeQ
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:56:47 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:29:02 PM »

As far as I'm aware, the drums on Love You are real.

Graeme Edge's electronic drums were customized by him. He once remarked that "the electronics inside looked like spaghetti".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »

There are no syndrums on Love You: what there is, on the newly recorded tracks, is Brian laying down a lot of spare snare and/or kick-drum patterns (except "Mona" - Dennis - and "Honkin' (no idea)).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »

When did the topic of "electronic drums on Love You" even enter the fanbase's discussions? A 1976-era drum machine did not have that type of full sound. Those are clearly acoustic drums.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »

heh, good point. If it were true, we'd be hearing the phrase "Brian Wilson, electronic music pioneer." It'd be a macro for Pitchfork people.

This is where someone pedantically points out the use of the theremin on Good Vibrations.

Then someone else pedantically points out it wasn't actually a theremin.

"It was essentially a theremin!"

"It was a Tannerin! I'm going to set your dogs on fire!"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 02:25:14 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

This is where someone pedantically points out the use of the theremin on Good Vibrations.

This is where someone pedantically points out the use of the theremin on IJWMFTT.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »

Oo really? I read that was the tannerin as well. Ace! Because admit it, once deep down ya just want an actual theremin involved!

You know, this reminds me that I need to watch that old Theremin doc again, Brian's interview bits are hysterical.

While you're here, did they dig up any more footage or interviews about Jim's early drum experiments for that upcoming documentary? I'd love to hear more about that era... the recordings are endlessly fascinating. Hell, I'd buy a three cd set of their "punishment cone" improvs.  Or whatever that was that alarmed the neighbors of that apartment building. My woman subhumaaaan!

In the 90s I tried wiring up a kit the way he did it and it was a lot of fun recording it on a 4 track -- the wah pedal, ring modulator, and some awful octave pedal thingie made for the most pleasing distorted thumps and clicks.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:13:34 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »

According to Love You personnel, Brian Wilson plays "electronic drums".

well, this is why you can't trust wikipedia. and now it doesn't say that anymore.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »

There is a big difference between "electronic drums" like a Syndrum and a "drum machine" like a TR-808... The Syndrum is essentially an analog synthesizer with drumheads instead of keys. There was a lot of similar-sounding electronic percussion on the Spring album too, but it could have only been done with keys (likely played on an ARP Odyssey). Of course there are no automated drums on Love You. But there are a lot of sounds that are very easy to make on a Syndrum. They could have also just been played on a keyboard synth as well.

This is not what a Syndrum does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjLHLuYUWU

This is what a Syndrum does:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW099nmUAKk

I can't find who or what is playing on Love You, but I can use my ears to find out what sounds like is being played. Some things are for sure -- an ARP Soloist/Pro Soloist/DGX and a Moog Taurus. Are there any session photos?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:48:40 PM by kappa » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 06:32:21 PM »

Wikipedia says this:

Similar to previous Brian Wilson-lead work Mount Vernon and Fairway and 15 Big Ones, Love You's instrumentation is almost entirely made up of state-of-the-art analogue synthesis such as the Moog Taurus and the Pollard Syndrum (not pictured). The arranging and mixing methods of these instruments were often made from a Wall of Sound approach.

It then cites this as a source:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=J_n0ITu2qJU&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DJ_n0ITu2qJU
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 07:20:15 PM »

Is it possible that some drum sounds were processed through a Moog?

A discipline daddy.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »

It's possible but I don't hear it. I just hear acoustic drum sounds layered under electronic percussive sounds. A good example of him using electronic percussion occurs in Sweet Mountain at about 0:38: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqUPW21yH8c#t=36s Then it comes back in the tack piano chorus on every 2nd and 4th beat. On Love You, sounds like that are layered on top of a regular drum kit.

I only assume the Pollard Syndrum was used because of its link with TBB and Brian. It's hard to imagine why he wouldn't have used it as soon as it was available, instead of getting those sounds through the more difficult approach of messing with all those knobs and sliders on an ARP Odyssey(?).
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »

Oo really? I read that was the tannerin as well. Ace! Because admit it, once deep down ya just want an actual theremin involved! ...
While you're here, did they dig up any more footage or interviews about Jim's early drum experiments for that upcoming documentary?

Yes, it was also a Tannerin.

Not a lot of detail about Jim's drums in the doc.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx