gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:24:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Pom Pom Play Girl" live in 1971  (Read 6187 times)
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:42:12 AM »

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/10-1-71.html

How did the train of thought go here? "Hm, we need a song to squeeze in between 'Long Promised Road' and 'God Only Knows'. What can we play that won't break the flow? I know, we'll do an obscure album track from 1964 that's one-and-a-half minute long! That'll fit perfect, especially lyric-wise!"

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »

make that 20 seconds... only one verse, and not even one "rah rah pom pom play girl" ...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »

make that 20 seconds... only one verse, and not even one "rah rah pom pom play girl" ...
Darn it. I'm disappointed. It's still interesting that they played it, though.

So is this show "around", then?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:14 AM »

Darn it. I'm disappointed. It's still interesting that they played it, though.

it seems so...

and - speaking of "strange interludes"- it could be much worse. At the 1977 CBS convention of all songs they could perform they (well, actually only Mike) sang a short fragment of Brian's Back.   Shocked

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:19:45 AM »

March 30 1972 , Georgia Tech ,someone yelled out "Be True to Your School" Carl sang the opening ,then said my favorite part of this song is "Whats a matter Buddy aint you heard of my School"? ,Then Mike sang the opening with the band playing ,then"Thats enuff of that"!
    I guess they didnt know that soon they would return to those songs as  the human jukebox!

Cook pork throughly
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 08:58:37 AM »

Was at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1980, and Mike Love announces, "By request, from Brian Wilson" (who WAS there), and the group launches into "Long Tall Texan". Actually, it wasn't a bad version.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »

Was at The Spectrum in Philadelphia in 1980, and Mike Love announces, "By request, from Brian Wilson" (who WAS there), and the group launches into "Long Tall Texan". Actually, it wasn't a bad version.

In Madison WI, in I think it was 1996, between songs someone from the audience shouted "Orange Crate Art." Mike got this really pissed look on his face and said " We don't do that one."
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »

^Haha, brilliant!  It must have been amazing seeing the Beach Boys back in the early 70s, it's too bad more recordings aren't around.  I don't really know much about that sort of stuff, but it would be cool to get some releases from that era.  That gig at Butler University you mention has to be worth hearing at least.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:37 PM »

In Madison WI, in I think it was 1996, between songs someone from the audience shouted "Orange Crate Art." Mike got this really pissed look on his face and said " We don't do that one."

Neither does Brian. police
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 12:10:14 AM »

I actually remember someone posting about that on the PSML back when it happened.  The person who posted it was actually the person that said it!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 03:23:13 AM »

it seems so...

And I guess that sound clip cannot show up on YouTube with 1971 BB pics on the background... ??
Emh...  Cool

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »

Wow, you saw one of my favorite Beach Boys shows.  Cool I have a quick question. Can you remember being able to hear Brian? On the circulating recording you can hardly hear him. It's like his mic wasn't working or something.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »

Wow, you saw one of my favorite Beach Boys shows.  Cool I have a quick question. Can you remember being able to hear Brian? On the circulating recording you can hardly hear him. It's like his mic wasn't working or something.

No problem with Brian's mic; he just wasn't singing very much that night. Brian played piano to all of the songs, he was dressed like the Knebworth video; actually they sounded a lot like Knebworth, but, as I recall, I don't think Dennis was present at The Spectrum concert. Does the tape/CD you have of the show include the post-concert interview with Brian? He's obviously just taken "something"; he's constantly sniffing, and sounds hilarious. Oh, those were the daze....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:41 PM »

I have that interview, but I haven't listened to it in quite a while. I remember something about Brian wanting to do Surf's Up in concert.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »

it seems so...

And I guess that sound clip cannot show up on YouTube with 1971 BB pics on the background... ??
Emh...  Cool

Grin

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:20 AM »

it seems so...

Emh...  Cool

Grin

w00t!

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 04:27:17 AM »

Rock!

Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 04:24:44 AM »

Emh...  Cool

You mean like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9fx81wKt-g&feature=youtu.be  Smiley

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »

Emh...  Cool

You mean like that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9fx81wKt-g&feature=youtu.be  Smiley

Nice. That was quick! Only took 4 1/2 years  Smiley

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »

Emh...  Cool

We waited far longer for Smile; this was a mere blink of the eye.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 03:49:16 PM »

Emh...  Cool

We waited far longer for Smile; this was a mere blink of the eye.

Quite true  :-)

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx