gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:54:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Looking Back With Love (ML solo)
5 - 7 (7.9%)
4 - 4 (4.5%)
3 - 16 (18%)
2 - 17 (19.1%)
1 - 13 (14.6%)
0 - 32 (36%)
Total Voters: 72

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking Back With Love (Mike Love)  (Read 84178 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 11:48:36 AM »

It's better than REM!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »

It's better than REM!

Isn't everyone?
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 06:55:11 AM »

Itīs definately better at being worse.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2006, 08:53:02 AM »

Well, I've got a book right here in my hot little hand that says, and I quote, "a largely enjoyable clutch of songs", and I agree entirely with the sentiments of that author, who is obviously a jolly good egg and perceptive to boot. Bought it the first day it was released (in Sacremento, but that's another story) and liked it ever since. This is one CD reissue who's day is long overdue.

It's your own book! Of course you're going to agree with yourself!!!!!
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2006, 08:59:04 AM »

Susan is right. Bad lead singing, crap songs (except for the ABBA, Spector, Sedaka cover songs and even those are poorly done). Paradise Found is, by far the worst offender of them all.  When the female singer starts singing "let's go away for awhile"...", I actually blew chunks. It was not pretty.  If you are going to reference Pet Sounds, at least reference it in something good!

It makes SIP sounds like Pet Sounds! And that's saying something!!!
Totally Jason
Smiley Smile Associate

WWMLD?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2006, 05:05:12 PM »

This seems to be a rather unpopular opinion, but I get a big kick out of the album.  I think most of the tracks are very well done - I don't mind the kind of cheesy arrangements, because I do happen to enjoy cheesy synth arrangements when the overall track works. I love Mike's vocals, and I think he's pretty much at his signature best on this album. On that note, I think it's safe to say that Mike's presence is what pushes the album over the top for me, but considering the fact that most of the songs themselves would be rather middle-of-the-road without Mike's vocal touches, I can understand why it's a rather unpopular album. Take the same songs and arrangements and put another vocalist at the helm, and I probably would lost interest after a while - but with Mike, it's a winner, for me. The ABBA cover is definitely the best track on the album. Another particuarly noteworthy cover is Calendar Girl; it's probably the best version of the song that I've heard, IMHO. On the other hand, One Good Reason is - by far - the album's biggest low point.

Now, Summer is the time where there are no strings attached, but we could get together if you come on back. I'd like to tell you, if it's any satisfaction, you'll always be my Summer season's main attraction.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 02:30:36 AM »

Well, I've got a book right here in my hot little hand that says, and I quote, "a largely enjoyable clutch of songs", and I agree entirely with the sentiments of that author, who is obviously a jolly good egg and perceptive to boot. Bought it the first day it was released (in Sacremento, but that's another story) and liked it ever since. This is one CD reissue who's day is long overdue.

It's your own book! Of course you're going to agree with yourself!!!!!

sh*t. Rumbled.  Undecided

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2006, 02:38:14 AM »

Allow me to rationalise.

Carl announces a solo album. Anticipation is high for more in the line of "Trader", "Angel Come Home" and "Feel Flows". The album is released... and it's boring beyond belief. All the songs on the first side sound the same. The only highspot is "Heaven".

Mike announces a solo album. Anticipation is high for two sides of TM related dreck in the mould of "Everyone's In Love With You", or maybe [shudder] more country stuff. The album is released... and it's an inoffensive slice of fluffy pop - not high art, or even low art, but acceptable within its own limitations. The high point is the three-song sweep that closes the album out*. If Alan had released it, I think the reaction would have been a lot different.

[* that noise you can hear is Suze tearing her hair out by the roots]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 02:44:51 AM »

DAMN it, Andrew - - - it is a terrible album, and you owe me for a major hair transplant!

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2006, 09:23:59 AM »

The thin, nasal voice and the arrangements (vocal and instrumental) are dreadful.  His new album at least has a better sound with more lush vocals - although it's lyrically duff all over the place.  The Celebration albums are considerably better than LBWL.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2006, 11:01:32 PM »

I just got this and dig most of it. My personal favorite is "On And On And On", and "Rockin' The Man In The Boat". The album's downfall starts with "Be My Baby" (not a terrible cover, but nothing special), the ballads I could do without. It's a rocking album I think. To each his own.....I give this a 3.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 02:09:24 PM »

Here's a controversial opinion-- this album is mediocre!  It's pretty much a draw between tolerable, some might even say catchy songs ("On and On and On", "Runnin' Around the World", "One Good Reason", "Paradise Found") and dreck (most of the rest).  I give it two stars.  Curt Becher was the man.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2006, 07:13:24 PM »

hmmmm..i think i read that same book andrew..page 144 i believe... author knows his stuff alright!!   Grin
i kinda like the lp. don't think it is that bad. i like the abba song a lot. plus what guy couldn't like rockin the man in the boat?  Shocked
i got backstage at rupp arena in nov 81 after a beach boys show. got to talk to mike and yes, the song is about female masturbation. never will forget the smile the lovester had saying that. interupted jardines dinner that night also but that's another story.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2006, 05:19:02 AM »

I'm watching her day by day
Blow by blow, and play by play
Telescope love, how long can I go on this way
You know I'd love to lend a helping hand

hahahhahahahahahaa

Watch out for snakes!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 01:42:33 PM »

Worse than Dennis' album, worse than most of Brian's albums, but far superior to Imagination or either of Carl's efforts.

Actually, this is a pretty enjoyable album. There. I said it. I actually like this album. Be My Baby is pretty decent (you can still hear Brian's piano buried in the mix, BTW), On and On and On is pretty good (I actually like it better than the original), the songs are pretty catchy, and Mike's vocals are mostly good.

Highly underrated.

But yeah...if there was another vocalist, it'd be worse.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »

Rockin' the Man in the Boat makes me want to barf, but this is a pretty good album besides that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2006, 10:12:29 PM »

If you're gonna say that its better than Carl's efforts, than I will have to force myself to listen to it. I really enjoyed CW's solo effort and Youngblood was pretty good too!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2006, 10:15:57 PM »

The problem I think people have with this album is that it's hollow. It's just a collection of harmless cheesey pop tunes. But that does not necessarily mean the music is bad. Listen with an open mind.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2006, 11:01:53 PM »

The problem I think people have with this album is that it's hollow. It's just a collection of harmless cheesey pop tunes. But that does not necessarily mean the music is bad. Listen with an open mind.

The album is just plain fun. A guilty pleasure, sure, but a pleasure nonethless. It's funny...Mike had a crap voice, but with the right song, he can sound quite good (Big Sur being a key example). This album is further proof, at least on the up-tempo songs. Curt Becher's production was excellent...how I wish he had gotten a chance to produce the BB for an entire album!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 03:24:08 AM »

I like First Love and the Celebration stuff (not counting the disco celebration drek) far better. Funny the one track AGD dislikes in his book (the title song) is the one track I like.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2006, 07:34:08 PM »

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2006, 09:43:29 PM »

That picture rules

Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2006, 08:51:29 AM »

Gas-pumping garbage...
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2007, 06:55:16 PM »

I'm tempted to give this a 1 or a 0 even though I've never heard it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2007, 04:59:47 AM »

Why do you would give this a bad rating, you didn't hear it yet.

I like the album, it's a 3.5 for me. The first 7 tracks are okay, I love the title track and "Calendar Girl" is an awesome cover. "Rockin' The Man In The Boat" is a good rocker, the demo version from 1980 of "Be My Baby" is better. I enjoy "Runnin' Around The World" and "Over And Over". The last 3 tracks aren't special but bearable.
After POB this is the best solo album imo. This album makes fun. The last time Mike has a decent voice.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx