gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:14:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Looking Back With Love (ML solo)
5 - 7 (7.9%)
4 - 4 (4.5%)
3 - 16 (18%)
2 - 17 (19.1%)
1 - 13 (14.6%)
0 - 32 (36%)
Total Voters: 72

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking Back With Love (Mike Love)  (Read 85711 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 02:56:37 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Looking Back With Love, released October 1981.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:12:44 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:04:19 PM »

It's not great, it's not bad, but it's a lot of fun. Sometimes Mike at his nasal worst is fun to listen to. The lyrics are mostly horrible (and Mike only contributes to one track, Paradise Found). First Love is technically a better effort, and destined to remain unreleased.

Death to Be My Baby, however.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »

A great record to break over your knee. I've done it twice, and I hope to again in the near future.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 02:45:21 AM »

This record does not excist. This record does not excist. This record does not excist. This record does not excist....

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 12:11:50 PM »

I own a signed copy.  I do not listen to it.

The ML solo material makes me doubt that he actually cowrote those songs with Brian.

If he were that talented a lyricist he could hire Bacarach to come up with some tunes.
st2580smile
Smiley Smile Associate

It is such a fine line between clever and stupid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 01:59:48 PM »

I think I'm allergic to Looking Back With Love.
Everytime I've played it I get sick!

Pete
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:48:33 AM »

Terrible album.  From the smarmy grinning face on the cover to the disgusting, obscene cover of "Teach Me Tonight," this album fails to do anything but produce bile and vomit.  Pleh.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 01:47:52 PM »

Well, I've got a book right here in my hot little hand that says, and I quote, "a largely enjoyable clutch of songs", and I agree entirely with the sentiments of that author, who is obviously a jolly good egg and perceptive to boot. Bought it the first day it was released (in Sacremento, but that's another story) and liked it ever since. This is one CD reissue who's day is long overdue.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 01:50:10 PM »

Man, don't listen to that cat. He's insane, the Lester Bangs of the Isles. Perverse and a bad influence on minds everywhere.  Grin

Jason
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 01:51:44 PM »

Well, I've got a book right here in my hot little hand that says, and I quote, "a largely enjoyable clutch of songs", and I agree entirely with the sentiments of that author, who is obviously a jolly good egg and perceptive to boot. Bought it the first day it was released (in Sacremento, but that's another story) and liked it ever since. This is one CD reissue who's day is long overdue.

I'm with you Andrew.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 03:54:29 PM »

This record does not excist. This record does not excist. This record does not excist. This record does not excist....

That word does not exist.  That word does not exist.  That word does not exist.  That word does exist...
Jason
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 03:54:55 PM »

BURN!
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 02:47:43 AM »

Embarrassed Sorry, but I was so confused by the album-cover.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 02:58:02 AM »

Haha, don't be sorry mate...

Just a little fun Wink
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 07:15:19 PM »

The author is obviously as mad as cats.  A nutter.  Off his tree.  Around the bend.  And a whack job, to boot. 

The album is pure, unmitigated dreck.  The day it sees an official release on CD is the day i...i....i don't know what i'll do.  But it won't be pretty.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 07:17:42 PM »

Did I mention breaking over the knee?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006, 12:35:09 AM »

The author is obviously as mad as cats.  A nutter.  Off his tree.  Around the bend.  And a whack job, to boot. 

The album is pure, unmitigated dreck.  The day it sees an official release on CD is the day i...i....i don't know what i'll do.  But it won't be pretty.

Suze, Suze, Suze... as a teacher (and a damn fine one too), you should know there's nothing so sad as a closed mind.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 01:55:50 AM »

No, there's nothing so sad as this album.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 02:05:23 AM »

We agree again!

Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 02:18:08 AM »

Suze, Suze, Suze... as a teacher (and a damn fine one too), you should know there's nothing so sad as a closed mind.  Wink

Andrew, Andrew, Andrew...and you should know that flattery of the most obvious sort will get you nowhere.  At least, not in this instance. 

The album is crap.  And i know, the more i say so, the more you will defend it.  That's the little game that we play, no?  But i also know that deep in your heart of hearts, you know that it's crap.  You know that it's indefensible.  And, tho you'll never admit it, you know that i'm right.

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 10:20:33 AM »

"We agree again!"

That´s about the only good thing about this album: ALL people can agree on hating it!  Grin (Sorry, Andrew)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »

Probably the orst thing I've ever heard in my life. Makes M.I.U. sound like a great album....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 02:35:46 PM »

I don't hate this album.....I don't care what anyone thinks of me either for liking it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 04:53:47 AM »

I don't hate this album.....I don't care what anyone thinks of me either for liking it.

I don't see why you shouldn't like it. If it sounds good to your ears, than it's allright, but from a musical point of view it kinda....erm...sucks. Nothing against personal taste btw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 11:02:52 AM »

I don't see why you shouldn't like it. If it sounds good to your ears, than it's allright, but from a musical point of view it kinda....erm...sucks. Nothing against personal taste btw

That was a comment directed at JRauch, whose head of steam pretty much exploded because more than one person posting here likes Looking Back With Love.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx