gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:59:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson @ Paradiso, Amsterdam, July 6 2009  (Read 12236 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »

A few nice surprises before the show: it was sold out (saw two Dutch shows in 2007, neither was sold out then), it was not a seated show (both 2007 shows were), there were no barriers so you could walk up right to the stage and they had the blue Midnight's Another Day 7" and some really cool shirts for sale. Smiley

I was there pretty early and got a good place at about 10 yards from Brian's keyboard. Before the show they played Beach Boys knock-offs again (Sagittarius, Sunrays, First Class etc.), just like in 2007. The band tonight was Scott Bennett, Brett Simons, Darian Sahanaja, Nick Walusko, Jeff Foskett, Probyn Gregory, Taylor Mills, Mike D'Amico and Paul Mertens. They started with an intro that sounded like some kind of Lucky Old Sun section, but I didn't recognize this particular piece. The first full song was California Girls. I didn't think Brian looked really good when he came on. He looked tired and older than usual. He seemed bored and not very concentrated during the first few songs, but got a bit more into it when they got to the first 'rarities'. The band was having a great time. Paul had a huge smile on his face during the entire show and Scott ran around like a madman and whenever he didn't have to play anything he just fooled around with any percussive instrument he could find (ever heard the woodblocks from God Only Knows on Surfin' USA?). They played for two hours with a 20 minute intermission after the first 45 minutes.

These are the songs they did (this is not the right order, obviously):

Surfin' USA (during the encore)
Shut Down
Surfer Girl
Little Deuce Coupe
In My Room
Custom Machine
Fun, Fun, Fun (encore)
Don't Worry, Baby (lead vocals by Foskett)
I Get Around
All Summer Long
Johnny B. Goode
Do You Wanna Dance?
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
Help Me, Rhonda
Dance, Dance, Dance
Then I Kissed Her
Salt Lake City
Girl, Don't Tell Me
California Girls
Barbara Ann (encore)
Wouldn't It Be Nice (lead vocals by Foskett)
Sloop John B.
God Only Knows (Brian sang it beautifully and with his eyes closed -very intense- and got a really long ovation after the song)
Good Vibrations (Brian started singing before the music had started)
Do It Again
Add Some Music To Your Day (Brian forgot to start singing)
Marcella
Sail On Sailor
Love And Mercy (encore)
Your Imagination (I guess Brian doesn't really like it: "This is just a song from the catalogue, we'll get to the good stuff later")
Soul Searchin'
Desert Drive
Midnight's Another Day/That Lucky Old Sun (reprise) (came right after God Only Knows - wow...  Shocked )
Going Home
Southern California
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:21:49 AM »

Something that I found a bit disturbing was that someone really close to the stage started laughing out loud (I guess because he thought Brian's facial expression was funny, or something) during the piano intro of 'Midnight's Another Day'. I think Brian heard it cause he had kind of a "WTF?" expression of his face. I hope that person realized how inappropriate that was...
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »

Here's the correct setlist:

01 All day Huh
02 California girls
03 Girl, don't tell me
04 Dance, dance, dance
05 Surfer girl
06 In my room
07 Salt Lake City
08 Custom machine
09 409
10 Soul searchin’
11 Desert drive
12 Don't worry, baby
13 I get around
14 Sail on, sailor
15 Marcella
16 Do it again
--------------------------------------
17 Then I kissed her
18 Your imagination
19 Add some music to your day
20 When I grow up (to be a man)
21 All summer long
22 Shut down
23 Little deuce coupe
24 Do you wanna dance
25 Sloop John B.
26 Wouldn't it be nice
27 God only knows
28 Midnight's another day / That lucky old sun
29 Goin’ home
30 Southern California
31 Good vibrations
-----------------------------
32 Johnny B. Goode
33 Help me, Rhonda
34 Barbara Ann
35 Surfin’ U.S.A.
36 Fun, fun, fun
----------------------------
37 Love & mercy

Re: the person laughing during the intro of MAD. Brian cracked a joke. After GOK there was a two minute rapturous applause. Brian then introduced MAD by saying "This song isn't as good as the last one". I thought it was a very good show, it benefited from being a standing show in a club. And what a club it was... The Paradiso.

I missed something... Where was Nelson? And who was playing keyboards during Surfin' USA?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 07:53:05 AM »

And who was playing keyboards during Surfin' USA?

Yeah, I was wondering that too... His face looked familiar...
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »

01 All day Huh
Was this "Roll Around Heaven All Day," the hidden track at the end of TLOS?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »

No... I'm pretty sure it's nothing I heard before.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:22:19 AM »

I've been hearing nothing but great things about this show

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:42:40 AM »

01 All day Huh

yes it was (without the fade in and fade out)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:46:12 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »

I missed something... Where was Nelson? And who was playing keyboards during Surfin' USA?

I think I read on the Dutch board that he was in the hospital (a pulmonal emboly). He didn't perform in Munich either.

http://www.brianwilson-fans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=284&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75#p3612

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:59 AM »

I personally found it highly amusing that during the instrumental break of Fun Fun Fun Brian made it more than clear that it was time to leave the building by thoroughly checking the time on his watch.  Grin

I saw him leaving the Paradiso building btw, and from up close one could see he was pretty tired. Hectic schedule with Munich the day before and I think Berlin this evening.

O, and then the false intro for Good Vibes. While the band was still changing instruments, BW already started the first note. "Iii!" Wow, jumped the gun..."  immediately followed by some good laughs from both the band and audience...

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 11:36:29 AM »

Hopefully Nelson returns well soon. He was missed. What's everyone's opinion of the choice of songs? I find it amusing, for once, esp. the car songs. But next time hopefully a more challenging set (late 60's or new material á la TLOS). Or maybe I should hope for Mike, Bruce and David to tour Europe again in 2010...?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 01:46:54 PM »

What's everyone's opinion of the choice of songs?

I think the most remarkable thing about this setlist is that they did a whole lot of rock 'n' roll songs. I love rock 'n' roll, but when it comes to the Beach Boys repertoire, I prefer the "pretty" songs. I would've liked to hear a couple of Smile songs and more songs from Pet Sounds and Sunflower. It's cool that there were a few surprises, but they weren't the surprises I was hoping for...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 01:47:45 PM by shelter » Logged
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 01:53:01 PM »

What's everyone's opinion of the choice of songs?

I think the most remarkable thing about this setlist is that they did a whole lot of rock 'n' roll songs. I love rock 'n' roll, but when it comes to the Beach Boys repertoire, I prefer the "pretty" songs. I would've liked to hear a couple of Smile songs and more songs from Pet Sounds and Sunflower. It's cool that there were a few surprises, but they weren't the surprises I was hoping for...

agreed
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »

The youtube clips have arrived! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyYXicsAjM

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 06:11:41 PM »

Your Imagination (I guess Brian doesn't really like it: "This is just a song from the catalogue, we'll get to the good stuff later")

He didn't care for the album either, and probably for the same reasons.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 08:48:32 AM »

It was a truly great show! My favourite part of the show was GOK followed by a standing ovation and a stunning version of MAD that gave me goosebumps from head to toes. After the show I talked to Scott for a bit in the cafe downstairs and he told me they had driven from Neurenberg to Amsterdam during the night. During that journey, Brian's bus broke down, so they had a real bad night and Brian was really tired. After the Paradiso show the band didnt stay in Amsterdam because Brian wanted to drive to Berlin straight away for the next gig he said.
monklover
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »

Wow what a great great show!!

I arrived extra extra early cause I thought of trying to get up in the front row which I rarely do, but then as I entered, at the last second I got up in the front row of the balcony instead. Literally right over their heads!!!  Was a bit behind the speakers, so didnt get the full sound of Brians voice, but got a pretty good mix of the stage sounds in there too, so quite interesting.

Theres not much to say besides it was incredible!  I had just as much fun watching the crowd dance and sing along as I did watching them on stage!!

So some funny things.  I could totally see everything that was on Brians Monitor. I had always just assumed it was lyrics and stuff, and it was for maybe 1/4 of the songs, but really the funniest things were the little notes it had for him!! OMG!!  It said things like: 'Brian Sings Chorus'  or 'Brian sings backing vocals: Do Wah Do Wah' and 'Saxophone Solo'.  Then one time it said ' Brian Play Piano', but on that song he didnt play the piano once!! hahah! So cool!!  At the end of the first set after the song lyrics scrolled through, the words scrolled up: 'Brian Leave Stage' and he got up and walked off the stage!!! HAHAH! So freaking awesome!!

Yes it was amusing when he checked his watch!!!  But what a fun fun fun night!!

God Only Knows as stated was unreal! I think the man next to me (who came from N.Y. for the show) might have had some tears, and I admit I was close myself!.  And the follow up from TLOS was out of this world too!!

One question I have, dont know what the etiquette is on here, but I am wondering if any of the awesome Dutch tapers where there? They are some of the best out there and I have added some really great shows to my collection from these guys, but it seems Beach Boys and Brian Wilson shows aren't allowed on most of the live sites I frequent (dime, traders den, etc..) so I wouldnt know where to check!!! Is there a site dedicated to Dutch Live Music torrents/sharing, or Brian/B.B.?

So in conclusion!

WOW!!!!!!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »

Wow what a great great show!!

So some funny things.  I could totally see everything that was on Brians Monitor. I had always just assumed it was lyrics and stuff, and it was for maybe 1/4 of the songs, but really the funniest things were the little notes it had for him!! OMG!!  It said things like: 'Brian Sings Chorus'  or 'Brian sings backing vocals: Do Wah Do Wah' and 'Saxophone Solo'.  Then one time it said ' Brian Play Piano', but on that song he didnt play the piano once!! hahah! So cool!!  At the end of the first set after the song lyrics scrolled through, the words scrolled up: 'Brian Leave Stage' and he got up and walked off the stage!!! HAHAH! So freaking awesome!!

That is the funniest thing I've read all day  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 08:23:59 AM »

god only knows from that night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WuTb6QjIsM&feature=related
Kamandi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »

A group of us were able to get tickets to see the Rolling Stones during their Bridges to Babylon tour. Some seats towards the side of the stage opened up at the last minute so we scored some prime real estate that were pretty close to the stage but right at the side. Using my binoculars we noticed we could we could see a monitor in front, which turned out to be Mick's. We won the bet started by a group near us to guess what the opening song would be, but they grew irritated when we would know what each song would be thereafter because it all popped up on Mick's monitor, including the alleged song the Stones didnt know was next because they had to check what the fans voted for on stones.com. The monitor also had weird cues for Mick, like "Go to small stage" "Move Right" "Two Foot Jumps" and I swear on all that is Holy, "Shake Arse" (but it didnt say Arse). We were able to yell "Shake that @@@, Mick!" and he would comply, to the awe and astonishment of those around us.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx