gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:45:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying to Find a BBs Concert Clip from Late '70s  (Read 5025 times)
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »

I've trying to find a BBs concert video clip that I remembered seeing on YouTube a couple of years back. I've searched and searched on YouTube but can't find it any more. (I know, I should've saved the link.)  I wish that I could be more specific, but all I remember is that is was a late '70s concert, the song being played was a fast one, and it was a nighttime performance.

What I do remember - and the reason I want to see the video again - is that Brian was playing bass (on the right side of the stage) and was totally going wild on this song.  He was rolling his body around superfast, either like he was trying to be funny or he was feeling no pain.  It was a really wacky sight, and I've never seen Brian do anything like that in any other BBs concert footage I've come across.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, what particular year/venue/song would this be? Did I imagine this video? Hallucinate it?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »

That would be a version of Roller Skating Child from 1978-ish. It's not there anymore.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:14:44 AM »

From Hawaii 1978, I think.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Christoph
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »

Yes that clip exists, I think I have it somewhere on my computer, if I find it I will put in on youtube again.

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:37:18 AM by Christoph » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 11:33:07 AM »

Yes that clip exists, I think I have it somewhere on my computer, if I find it I will put in on youtube again.

Edit: Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1EPXBQV3yM

It doesn't look to me like Brian rocking out but more like either a soned or sick guy. Very sad either way.
BTW Are they really playing "Roller skating child"? Video and sound are not in sync...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 11:47:45 AM »

It doesn't look to me like Brian rocking out but more like either a soned or sick guy. Very sad either way.
BTW Are they really playing "Roller skating child"? Video and sound are not in sync...

The way Brian was doing "the hula hoop", I assume(d) that he was gesturing to the "round and round and round we go..." part of "Roller Skating Child". This was the precursor to the later hand gestures of the solo years! Smiley

While you're right, Brian was probably stoned, this was the part of Brian that the group was hoping to see emerge; maybe not the gyrating, but at least being into the music. It beats the statue behind the piano Brian...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »

I think SJS is right that it's specifically intended to go along with the "round and around and around" part, as both times, that's when he does it, acts relatively normal between. And because I lazily only half read his post, I almost just posted "Kind of a sweatier, drugged precursor to his awkward, illustrative hand signals in modern concerts," before realizing he basically said the same thing...

However, I disagree that it beats those modern hand signals. It really creeps me out to see anyone in as bad of shape as he was (and sometimes some of the others were) then. This reminds me--although it's less disturbing--of the clip on youtube from the same era, when Brian and Mike get into it and Brian just has a fit on stage. Terrible.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »

Is it possible that Brian wasn't on anything, and that is the way he reacted to playing the music/playing bass when he was straight - AND - the the Brian who sat dazed and still behind the piano, without barely uttering a syllable during the entire concert, was the Brian under the influence?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »

Possible, sure. Likely, no.

And it isn't whether he's on drugs that really bothers me much. It's the torment, at least in the scene I referenced (as opposed to some innocent air-hulahooping).

EDIT: And to be clear, the current Brian is obviously, absolutely and openly under the influence. We know he is on a drug regimen for his various mental illnesses. So it is without question that he is under the influence. But unless Dr. Landy has risen from the grave, been reincarnated or there is some similarly ambitious and eager-to-medicate replacement, it seems safe to assume it is better for him to be under this current influence than above it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:54:18 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 04:17:39 PM »

Possible, sure. Likely, no.

Possibly, because he IS playing the bass, and nobody is shadowing him like today. I would think Brian had to be a little "straighter" to play bass than to play some unheard chords on a piano. You gotta admit, didn't it make you smile a little (and I don't mean laughing at him) when you saw his entusiasm during "Roller Skating Child", than say, the statue Brian behind the Baby Grand? Did you see the way Al and Mike were looking over at Brian? Damn, they'd given anything to have an engaged Brian. Still would, actually... police
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:03 PM »

I don't know that it takes much more to sort-of play an unheard bass than it does to not play an unheard piano. I don't know that I'd ever put money on BW's instrument being relied upon from his 70s return to the stage onward. Seems there was always at least one other person available to do the parts when he did other parts, or nothing at all--just like now.

As for smiling, some of the modern-day BW concerts have brought pretty sincere smiles to my face whether he played a note on the keyboard, or not; whether he sat stony most of the show or not. That aspect of it all has never bothered me and still doesn't.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »

As for smiling, some of the modern-day BW concerts have brought pretty sincere smiles to my face whether he played a note on the keyboard, or not; whether he sat stony most of the show or not. That aspect of it all has never bothered me and still doesn't.

I wasn't referring to the modern-day solo Brian; I was referring to those late 70's concerts. I remember being a lot younger, paying a lot of money for tickets, travelling miles and miles, getting my hopes up high, and sitting (or standing) there, watching Brian sit motionless behind a piano, singing the first verse to "Sloop John B", the bridge to "Surfer Girl", and leaving the stage before the end of "Fun, Fun, Fun" (the last song). Yeah, that bothered me. I was happy and thrilled to SEE him, but walked away to my car disappointed. Yeah, it bothered me.

If I would've seen ANY enthusiasm shown, I would've been happy. Back then, I wouldn't have been thinking, "Look at Brian, he's stoned!" No, I would've been jumping up and down (literally) and thinking, "Yeah, Brian's really into that Love You song!" But, then again, I was naive....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:28:38 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:29:38 PM »

Gotcha. Having been aged 0-3.5 for those late-70s shows, I can't quite say what my reaction would have been, had I been there, either way. Probably something like "waaah, I pooped my pants!"

LOL

variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »

Gotcha. Having been aged 0-3.5 for those late-70s shows, I can't quite say what my reaction would have been, had I been there, either way. Probably something like "waaah, I pooped my pants!"

LOL

LOL nice

he either got his hands on some coke, or he was in a rare, good place and not conflicted mentally..

this is by far the most disturbing clip of the beach boys.. from the largo shows in 77: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgyeJQ6peA

it all happens at the start of back home.. brian and mike have a shouting match while al tries to keep the audience clean, then afterwards brian throws his bass at mike and staggers back to the piano.  ladies and gentlemen the one and only, the five and only.. beach boys
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 08:19:12 AM by variable2 » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 09:50:01 AM »

this is by far the most disturbing clip of the beach boys.. from the largo shows in 77: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIgyeJQ6peA

it all happens at the start of back home.. brian and mike have a shouting match while al tries to keep the audience clean, then afterwards brian throws his bass at mike and staggers back to the piano.  ladies and gentlemen the one and only, the five and only.. beach boys

Mike and Brian weren't arguing; that was just Mike trying to get a stoned Brian psyched up for "Back Home". While there is a report or two about Mike being frustrated with the latter-day Brian on stage, for the most part they - all of them - kissed his ass. It must've been a barrel of laughs being onstage with the Wilson's in the late 1970's... Roll Eyes
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 03:42:13 PM »

I think Sheriff John Stone is right:

Brian was just into it and having fun for once!

All this conventional wisdom we have regarding the Beach Boys is really just a bunch of guys n gals compressing 40+ years of experience into different camps of thought and opinion. No one point of view is entierly correct. If Brian "hated touring and being on stage" there were also times he had fun and perhaps loved it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »

I think you're exactly right about that last part, and it's why talking about so limited a subject can get old: you just hear these recycled stereotypes or the same bickered arguments.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx