gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:01:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Bootlegs  (Read 3717 times)
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »

As some of you may have noticed, especially if you're also a Beatles fan, that  I've been acquiring many new Beatles and solo Beatles bootlegs that the prolific bootleggers have been issuing quite continually and regularly and have posted reviews on the many Beatles message boards and email lists--and I have been wondering why isn't there much new Beach Boys bootlegs appearing in the the last few years that either have new or upgraded material? It's been very quiet for Beach Boys bootlegs! In years past whether it was Vigotone, SOT, Dumb Angel--we were treated to much new material quiet often. The last real gasp was a few years back when SECRET SMILE (there was also another SMILE set too, which name escapes me), GET THE BOOT (Vol. 1 - 2) and the SOT release, IN THE BEGINNING: THE GARAGE TAPES. This year only one release of note appeared. It was an upgraded source tape for the London '68 show from HMC entitled, LIVE IN LONDON (1 CD/1 DVD set).

Have I missed anything else of note whether it's an upgraded source or new to bootleg and does anyone know of anything in the pipeline? (aside from surfers Wink )

Any info is appreciated!

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:48:15 AM by Cal » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 09:27:37 AM »

Hi Cal,

I'm in the same boat as you... haven't seen anything for ages other than the London package you mentioned.

I'd speculate that some of the ... how do I put this? ... "deeper" fans have been circulating stuff among themselves as occasionally tunes get mentioned that I've never hear of.

But for we humble silver disc collectors the pickings ain't rich!

PS: same time as the SoT IN THE BEGINNING: THE GARAGE TAPES, we got ALL THIS IS THAT on the same label, which I assume you simply overlooked.

“We live in divisive times.”
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:08 AM »

PS: same time as the SoT IN THE BEGINNING: THE GARAGE TAPES, we got ALL THIS IS THAT on the same label, which I assume you simply overlooked.

Wee Helper,

HI! Yes ALL THIS IS THAT was the title I couldn't think of. Thanks.

You know in the Beatles collecting world new stuff keeps coming out (Misterclaudel's JOHN LENNON HOME TAPES recently) and many upgraded video sources of their early tv performances. There are so many unseen (on bootleg) early Beach Boys performances,( ie; Australia '64) that I'm surprised just doesn't show up for instance. And where's that 2nd LEID IN HAWAII show that circulates (but never made it to silver disc) that contains that one-off instrumental that opens up the set (was it called "Hawthorne Blvd"Huh? or something like that?). I know many have told my privately that it circulates, but if I'm correct this 2nd LEID show never has made it officially to bootleg?

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley

« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:21:57 AM by Cal » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:37:38 AM »

I find the phrase "never has made it officially to bootleg" amusing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »

I find the phrase "never has made it officially to bootleg" amusing.

Ok. How 'bout "never made it unofficially to unofficial releases?" -- This is "unofficial", of course"  Shhhh!  Grin Cheesy LOL

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 11:44:00 AM by Cal » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »

That one kind of made me dizzy.  Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 02:14:47 PM »

Is that HMC London boot worth picking up? Is the video material a sizeable improvement on sources already circulating?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 03:51:58 PM »

Is that HMC London boot worth picking up? Is the video material a sizeable improvement on sources already circulating?

Dunno ... haven't been able to watch it yet as it's Region 1 only. Also, one or two traders are advertising it as 2CDs + 1 DVD -  it's not, its 1CD and 1 dvd. The booklet info is all stuff taken from Badman's book -  I keep hoping AGD will post corrected facts on this site but to no avail thus far!

In my opinion the set's a tad overpriced for that it is, though I've seen one dealer drop their price recently.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 06:04:46 PM »

There is that new boot of Mike Love chanting his mantra making the rounds....
Jason
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 06:28:55 PM »

There's plenty of stuff that goes around that can be found if you know where to look. Not much in the way of "new songs" but mostly sessions, alternate mixes and such. Completists only mainly. Stuff that went around over 30 years ago.
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 06:16:44 AM »

There's plenty of stuff that goes around that can be found if you know where to look. Not much in the way of "new songs" but mostly sessions, alternate mixes and such. Completists only mainly. Stuff that went around over 30 years ago.

Yes, most collectors know this, but my concern is why there isn't new or upgraded Beach Boys material of late?  It seems to have basically dried up-- but for other artists such as the Beatles, new and upgraded material still gets issued on bootleg quite regularly.

Regards,
Cal aka "Beatle Bob"
Smiley
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 06:28:37 AM »

Guess we can hope that it's dried up because the power that be have clamped down on the rogue sources in anticipation of releasing something worthwhile officially. A SMILE box set for eg.

Then again -  there's usually a spate of unofficial stuff just before the official goodies are released, so from that perspective it looks barren on all fronts.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:35:26 AM »

I think that because of downloading and YouTube (which has lots of unreleased live stuff) there's not such a big need for bootleg CDs anymore. It's been years since I've ever seen any new bootlegs by bands like Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Beastie Boys, Green Day, Bad Religion, Foo Fighters - and those are all bands that used to get bootlegged very often until a few years ago. It seems like only the serious record collectors' favorites -Beatles, Stones, U2, Zeppelin, Dylan, Springsteen- are still being bootlegged regularly.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 07:22:36 AM »

Guess we can hope that it's dried up because the power that be have clamped down on the rogue sources in anticipation of releasing something worthwhile officially. A SMILE box set for eg.

Then again -  there's usually a spate of unofficial stuff just before the official goodies are released, so from that perspective it looks barren on all fronts.

Wee Helper, I think you hit the nail right on the head -- I believe that the "Get The Boot" CDs brought new attention to the underground collector's network.  A bunch of outtakes from different sources that had previously circulated one-to-one (and even a track at a time) between collectors were compiled together and pressed on silver discs.  I believe had that stuff continued to circulate a track at a time, it would have flown under the radar.  You add public internet discussion on top of that, and all of a sudden people at BRI are aware of what's floating around -- and they put a stop to it.

Perhaps the positive side is that things that would have taken months -- or perhaps even years -- to trickle around the collectors' circuits were out there en masse.  The negative side is that the "rogue sources" as you called them are no longer sources.  Hence no new bootlegs.  Just my opinion.

Lee
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 08:54:38 AM »

You have a PM...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »

When was the last time anything from the Smile sessions was newly booted?  Was it the I’m in Great Shape fragments from a few years ago?  Has there even been anything since BWPS?

Seems like there should be something new.  Even, say, a decent sounding version of Barnyard.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »

When was the last time anything from the Smile sessions was newly booted?  Was it the I’m in Great Shape fragments from a few years ago?  Has there even been anything since BWPS?

Seems like there should be something new.  Even, say, a decent sounding version of Barnyard.

Or Dennis' "I Don't Know", and Jasper Dailey's "Teeter Totter Love" and "When I Get Mad I Just Play My Drums"!! LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:04 PM »

Or Dennis' "I Don't Know", and Jasper Dailey's "Teeter Totter Love" and "When I Get Mad I Just Play My Drums"!! LOL

Trust me, you do NOT want to hear the Daily tracks. Music & production is OK, vocally he's somewhere between Wild Man Fischer and Mrs. Miller. Or maybe Florence Foster Jenkins.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 12:19:58 PM »

Trust me, you do NOT want to hear the Daily tracks. Music & production is OK, vocally he's somewhere between Wild Man Fischer and Mrs. Miller. Or maybe Florence Foster Jenkins.

I DO want to hear them, just once for curiosity's sake! Can't be worse than Skatetown USA, At The Hop, or Battle Hymn... ...or any worse than my own singing voice!!! C'mon, It's SMiLE era material, for god's sakes!!!

Is "I Don't Know" as good as Dennis' stuff on Friends?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 05:15:47 PM »

The Jasper Dailey songs are from late Smile, right?  Early '67?  I'm surprised they haven't surfaced, since it seems like a great deal of the late Smile material has been booted, as opposed to the relatively untouched early sessions. 

Along those lines, can't someone please, please find and "release" the cowboy version of H&V, the one from around the time the Endless Harmony demo was recorded?  It's just astonishing to think that this is more than likely out there, and yet completely neglected--the tape is probably disintegrating as I type this.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx