-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:00:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  People Who Are, or Were, Cool. And When. And Why.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: People Who Are, or Were, Cool. And When. And Why.  (Read 14800 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »

Prince. Wearing women's clothes only helps sometimes, especially when you can sing and play that way.

Lou Reed. You know why.

George Harrison. It's always the quiet ones.

Freddie Mercury. Let's see you prance around in tights with your mic stand as a phallic symbol.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 07:22:17 PM »

Isaac Bashevis Singer. Read him.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 07:32:13 PM »

I give Iggy Pop a pass even though the Stooges reunion album and his solo career were very spotty. Those first few Stooges albums will always be excellent as will Kill City and New Values. I still like reading and watching interviews with him and he can still bring it live. I would advize him to put on a damn shirt these days though and some day make another try at an autobiography or at least a my thoughts on..... or transcribed interviews thing like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and the Beatles did recentley.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:44:07 PM by Music Machine » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 07:42:35 PM »

Anthony Bourdain.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:07:53 AM »

James Garner. For high moral standards and coolness simultaneously. For living in a camper on the beach with his old man. And for having been able to enter any room or house with false specs and a false calling card.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 09:38:23 PM »

Burt Bacharach: one word: CLASSY gent
George Lucas: 70s to early 80s
Harry Nilsson

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »

noname- beautiful, funny, and has good taste- too cool.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 08:31:41 AM »

Lennon. Robert Mitchum. Jim Morrison. Lou Reed. Dylan. Keith Richards. Almost all have the "foda you" attitude.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »

Mike Love George Clooney. For great films (esp. that one about the McCarthy era), and for spreading his views on things politic in such an eloquent way.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 02:22:44 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »

Crow T. Robot.

Jeff Mangum.

Bob Dylan.

Franklin Pierce.

Chester A. Arthur.

Phillip Roth.

Mitch Mitchell.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »

Crow T. Robot will always be cool

I didnt realize how cool George Clooney was until i saw From Dusk Til Dawn, he needs to be in more Tarintino stuff

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 06:28:17 PM »

Not that I'm shying away from Tom Servo, Mike Nelson or Joel Hodgson, either. But Gypsy and Cambot suck ass.

While we're on this note: TV's Frank. Oh yeah.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »

Im fucking cool, thats all you need to know!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »

I'll grant you acceptable. We'll work from that. Bill Moyers is fuckin cool.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »

Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson!!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
PaulHippensteel
Smiley Smile Associate

Tach it up, buddy gonna shut you down

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 02:59:52 PM »

Nancy Sinatra - many great recordings beyond just the few hits she's known for. And she still makes good records! Also she has a lot of respect for her fans, which shows in the way she runs her own websites: sinatrafamily.com and nancysinatra.com

The P.L.H. Organ-izayshun: Rock instrumentals live on an original 1966 Farfisa!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »

Skippy Handelman. Obvious reasons.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »

Steven Page (ex-Barenaked Ladies singer)

BTW, Luther, when I was reading the post where you mentioned Jeff Mangum, an NMH song started randomly playing on my computer.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »

Steven Page (ex-Barenaked Ladies singer)

BTW, Luther, when I was reading the post where you mentioned Jeff Mangum, an NMH song started randomly playing on my computer.
Well then, one out of two.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 12:45:49 PM »

Jeff Goldbum in Jurassic Park.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 12:11:44 PM »

Samuel L. Jackson

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2009, 02:41:47 AM »

Morgan Freeman in 'Se7en'. Best line: 'John Doe's Got The Upper Hand'. Then you just know that the worst case scenario has come true... Shocked

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 06:41:09 AM »

Dunno even half of these people; otherwise, mine are:

The BBs (their being 'underdogs' gives 'em extra coolness)
Iggy Pop (singing AND playing a girl in "Dead Man". Didn't know I would get to see Iggy wearing a bonnet, ha!)
Lou Reed (2 words:"Sweet Jane")
Robert Mitchum (agree with this choice, he's terrific actor, can play at ease both villains & heroes)
Sylvester Stallone (might be the best-looking actor of all-time. Imo. Has comedic talent too, watch "Oscar" 'n' "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot")
Ron Perlman (underrated by all means. Severe appearance backed with amazingly gracious & noble attitude)
Mel Blanc (for voicing one of my favorite cartoons. Esp. 80s "Heathcliff" (title character))
Tim Kazurinsky (best Ozzy imitation, & other SNL skits + starring in "Police Academy", which is cool alone)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:44:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »

What would be the definition of 'cool'?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »

What would be the definition of 'cool'?

Anything below 16 celsius or 61 fahrenheit.

Al Jardine is now pretty cool.  Early on?  Maybe not quite as much.  David L Marks too.  Me. Wink

> Cool Guy <

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: