gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:56:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys movies  (Read 11929 times)
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2009, 07:15:30 PM »

I'd like to hear what you guys think of the two Beach Boys movies made. I seen the one from 2000 but its been years ago & cant really remember it all too well & I've never seen the one from 1990. Im trying to find both these movies, and am having a really hard time. Should have figured that one, lol.

Anyway, my question to you guys is- If you've seen one or both, how accurate did you feel it was to the story of the Beach Boys? Did you like the movie as a whole?

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 08:20:14 PM »

I think they're both pretty terrible to be honest.  Summer Dreams is the better of the two.  Maybe 'better' isn't the word for it...  I think it's the less offensive of the two at least.  This one is on dvd so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

Fake beards!!

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »

Well in my opinion An American Family is the better one but I suppose you could say I have a soft spot for it since it was what got me into the band to begin with. As AvanTodd rightly says both are pretty terrible but in my opinion An American Family has better acting, looks better (in terms of no obviously fake beards, plus the cast looks better etc.) and they use the actual recordings as opposed to getting the actors to sing the songs themselves (like in Summer Dreams)... I know it's all opinion but I've never understood why people prefer Summer Dreams? I suppose if you want a good laugh then watch that because honestly it makes me laugh at how bad it is Tongue
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »

Fake beards!!

Hey, what's wrong with those? I'm wearing a fake beard as I type this!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »

The fact that they have the actors sing is one of the reasons I like Summer Dreams better. There are some really lame scenes in American Family with the actors lipsynching to songs, like the Brian character singing Carl's lead vocal in "Let the Wind Blow".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:17:25 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 11:14:37 PM »

I like An American Family, it's funny. Brian sounds like a stereotypical stoner the entire movie.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 11:22:22 PM »

The fact that they have the actors sing is one of the reasons I like Summer Dreams better. There are some really lame scenes in Endless Harmony with the actors lipsynching to songs, like the Brian character singing Carl's lead vocal in "Let the Wind Blow".

I can see where you are coming from but to a non-fan watching the movie (like I was when I was watching it) I don't think they care who actually sang the song. Those movies are never going to be 100% accurate with little details like that anyway - and I mean how often do we argue over who sang what and people still aren't sure (eg: The Letter - some say Brian but I've heard others say Carl, same as the early version of Good Vibes etc.) Anyway, I'd much rather have the actual recordings which is why the main thing that annoys me about An American Family is the fake SMiLE music. In the end they are both pretty crap movies but I think the thing that annoys me about Summer Dreams the most is the script (I know both are pretty bad but Summer Dreams is much worse in my opinion)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:14:36 AM »

I am quite fond of Summer Dreams, in odd ways, for sure. The fake beards are superb. One moment you see clean-cut highschool kids, the next moment you see the same kids but now seemingly just having come back from the Planet Of The Apes (pace Brett Wheadon...). The actor playing Murry is the spitting image of the man himself. The 'fake control booth' scene is also in there, if I am right.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 05:05:27 AM »

There are some really lame scenes in Endless Harmony with the actors lipsynching to songs

ENDLESS HARMONY?  You mean AMERICAN FAMILY?

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:14:09 AM »

For Brittany's benefit (hi Brittany!), I feel it's important to note that Brian and Melinda were quite pissed off with Part II of AN AMERICAN FAMILY as was Van Dyke Parks who threatened to sue unless they removed his name. The Wilsons were able to get a disclaimer added to the beginning of Part II calling the effort heavily fictionalized. Now, Brian actually contributed some new vocal work to Part I which he reportedly liked and thought was relatively accurate (the producers, who included John Stamos, didn't allow the family to see Part II until just before broadcasting), but Part II was very inaccurate and sensationalized. Brian is portrayed as a complete imbecile who needs Mike to help him save "Good Vibrations" and make it a hit; Van Dyke is portrayed as a talentless hipster who provides Brian with nothing but drugs. It's ugly stuff.

SUMMER DREAMS, on the other hand, is low budget and has trouble with some of the facts as well, but is more accurate in its portrayal of Brian and Dennis.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 06:32:21 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:17:13 PM »

There are some really lame scenes in Endless Harmony with the actors lipsynching to songs

ENDLESS HARMONY?  You mean AMERICAN FAMILY?
Um, both. But I meant American Family, yes.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 02:01:26 PM »

SUMMER DREAMS, on the other hand, is low budget and has trouble with some of the facts as well, but is more accurate in its portrayal of Brian and Dennis.
It's a funny thing; SUMMER DREAMS was at least adapted from the Gaines book, (one of the ways they slid this production by The Boys), and I had an unpleasant relationship with him & his book, to say the very least about it...  And yet, I kind of dig this film.  Granted, it's very much Dennis' story, basically beginning & ending with his last days.  Also, I got kind of close with Bruce Greenwood during the shooting of it, (much as Jon & I did with Nick Stabile, the kid who played him in A.A.F.), and think for the most part he did a fantastic job of capturing him.  (The last time I spoke with Bruce, he told me that he still plays the drums once in awhile, and often still feels Dennis' presence - join the club!)  So I guess I'm kind of prejudiced to liking this one; even think I'm portrayed in it once or twice, as different characters & in a negative way, (thankfully not by name), much as in Gaines book.  I'm sure it's an amalgam of us, especially because it's unflattering!
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »

I have seen both.  I like BB An American family better myself.  They did a better job casting the characters, because the actors who played Mike, Audree, Murry, young Brian , manson and especially Nick Stabile who played Dennis, they all had striking resemblence to their characters.  If I am not mistaken, Jennifer Wilson was also on that movie, playing a dancer.  It was not IMHO as true to the story as Summer Dreams; the Van Dyke Parks character in SD was blonde, and names were changed for a couple of characters, but overall it was my favorite.

Summer Dreams, it's more true to form, but the characters didn't look like realistic.  Bruce Greenwood does sing a beautiful song in the movie, and actually his mannerisms, the way he carried himself etc, was very Dennis-like. But argh!  The FAKE BEARDS in that movie, during the BB beard stage, argh..they look like they glued fake fur to their face or glued some kind of animal pelts to their face...

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »

A lot of cring in both movies.  Some scenes were fun to watch but American Family just seemed to get worse as it went.  The Brian character came across as a moron, rather than as sensitive and eccentric.  I imagined Mike and Stamos in the editing room snickering and laughing so hard that milk shot out of their noses.  I had encouraged some coworkers to watch and was embarrassed afterward.

But, if you are a new fan, or a younger generation fan, why not have fun and watch everything you can on the Beachboys?   Be your own critic.  Consider the movies in light of some of the more reliable and accurate books you might read that have been suggested on this board.

Each of the movies has moments and scenes that are entertaining and fun viewing.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »

A little off topic, but as for beards and beachboys, did any of you see the Hangover movie?   The Alan Garner character and his beard kept reminding me of Brian Wilson in his overweight/unkept stage.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »

A little off topic, but as for beards and beachboys, did any of you see the Hangover movie?   The Alan Garner character and his beard kept reminding me of Brian Wilson in his overweight/unkept stage.

I thought the exact same thing, and I don't think were too far off, because the Director Todd Phillips is a big Beach Boys fan

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »

Part I of AMERICAN FAMILY was a pretty interesting take on the band's early years, rather well done I thought...which made Part II, which was awful, inaccurate and simplistic, particularly in its treatment of Brian, doubly offensive.  It really made me want to hit someone.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »

It's been awhile not, but which contains one of my favorites lines of all time....

"You're out of the band, Buckwheat!"
MEConner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 08:04:47 AM »

Also, I got kind of close with Bruce Greenwood during the shooting of it, (much as Jon & I did with Nick Stabile, the kid who played him in A.A.F.), and think for the most part he did a fantastic job of capturing him.  (The last time I spoke with Bruce, he told me that he still plays the drums once in awhile, and often still feels Dennis' presence - join the club!)  So I guess I'm kind of prejudiced to liking this one; even think I'm portrayed in it once or twice, as different characters & in a negative way, (thankfully not by name), much as in Gaines book.  I'm sure it's an amalgam of us, especially because it's unflattering![/b]

Back in 1990 (when I first & last saw this movie!) I really thought Mr. Greenwood did a admirable job of portraying the tenderness of Dennis.  There was a beautiful scene where Dennis visits Karen and plays a song on the piano for her.  I remember the song and always wondered if it were written for the film, since I've never heard it again. Maybe Mr. Roach can answer that one.  Smiley My friend and I laughed for years about the poundcake-eating Brian.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »

From Roger Ryan - "There was a beautiful scene where Dennis visits Karen and plays a song on the piano for her.  I remember the song and always wondered if it were written for the film, since I've never heard it again."

The song was written for the movie as kind of a faux Dennis Wilson song. I've had a lot of people ask me about "that DW song in Summer Dreams"...but its not a Dennis Wilson song. BTW, Karen Lamm consulted with the actress who played her. More BB's movie trivia...as Ed said we worked a bit with Nick Stabile on his Dennis role in American Family and we spent an afternoon as Stamos' guests on the set, and pretty much upset that apple cart for a few hours. Also, I managed to get my brother-in-law cast in the role as one of the Sunrays. The whole story is here...
http://thejonstebbins.com/family.html
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 03:49:37 AM »

I thought the exact same thing

haha me too Grin

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 07:03:43 AM »

... pretty much upset that apple cart for a few hours.

What's this mean?  Huh

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 01:50:55 PM »

... pretty much upset that apple cart for a few hours.

What's this mean?  Huh

Read the story at the link Jon provided.
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »

Yay I'm excited...

Just found both movies on Netflix! Using my free trial to watch them, lol.  Cheesy

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx