gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:11:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys at Winterland San Francisco early-mid 70's  (Read 12549 times)
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »

I attended a show at Winterland in the 70's. During the show I noticed a lot of scuffling onstage at the foot of the drum riser. It was befuddled Al Jardine and a freaked-out Carl Wilson wrestling with a crying and screaming Blondie Chaplin. From my view,which was quite close, it appeared Blondie did not want to go on. He looked pretty zonked-out on coke or something. I believe they just went on without him. When they came around the following year they played the SF Civic Center and they had striped shirts but no Blondie. Does anyone know anything about that incident?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:24:36 AM »

It's known that in December 1973 an off-stage fist fight between Blondie and Steve Love caused Blondie to leave the group right after. (note: according to AGD's website after the Madison Square Garden gig on Dec. 19th.)
From what I remember Steve's version of the story is that it had to do with Blondie's drug-use, according to Blondie it had to do something with someone calling him nigg*r or something similar.

According to the bellagio-site (http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs73.html) the Winterland-gigs took place in November 17th and 18th.

Would be interesting to hear more about these final days of Blondie in the band. Do you have more memories of this Winterland concert, jimmyboy?

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 08:25:45 PM »

thank you for your reply to my question. I recall that Dennis wasn't on drums. this was when he had that hand injury. I think They were promoting the BB Live Warner album..I believe they played Winterland  once before during the "Surf's Up" tour. I remember Al singing "Looking At Tomorrow". I also saw the BB's at the San Jose Civic Auditorium in 63 or 64...I think the Sunrays opened the show. I saw the "Brian's Back" show at Oakland Colisseum the night after Anaheim. I've seen them many times and many configurations. I saw Carl's solo show as well. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:14:14 PM by jimmyboy » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:58:47 PM »

It's known that in December 1973 an off-stage fist fight between Blondie and Steve Love caused Blondie to leave the group right after. (note: according to AGD's website after the Madison Square Garden gig on Dec. 19th.)
From what I remember Steve's version of the story is that it had to do with Blondie's drug-use, according to Blondie it had to do something with someone calling him nigg*r or something similar.

According to the bellagio-site (http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs73.html) the Winterland-gigs took place in November 17th and 18th.

Would be interesting to hear more about these final days of Blondie in the band. Do you have more memories of this Winterland concert, jimmyboy?

If only Jack Rieley had stayed on as their manager...  grrrrr...that Steve Love!!.... Angry Angry Angry

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »

Wow, blows my mind to see those shows mentioned, for a variety of reasons.  (I'll try & view "Endless Harmony" later - haven't seen it in ages - and see if I can tell you where in it you can see some of my footage from that Winterland show.  I'm almost sure some of it is in the titles; the outdoor stuff that's there, I shot in Santa Barbara in March of that year.  But there's also footage from Winterland, Denver, Anaheim and Long Beach in there, too.)  Blondie was indeed out of it, for a variety of reasons.  However, the fight with Steve Love was in New York, and it happened because Blondie's Dad had died, and he wanted time off to go home.  (This was shortly after Murry had died, and everything stopped for awhile after that).  Things weren't progressing well for Blondie that December with the group anyway, though, even before his Dad died, after the fiasco at Winterland.
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:35 PM »

Hello Ed Roach! Thank you for backing up my story on the Winterland show. Its good to know someone else was aware of it. I love all your posts. I also saw a show in Berkeley wherein Brian was the only Wilson onstage. Early 80's I believe.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »

Hello Ed Roach! Thank you for backing up my story on the Winterland show. Its good to know someone else was aware of it. I love all your posts. I also saw a show in Berkeley wherein Brian was the only Wilson onstage. Early 80's I believe.

That must've been...hm...interesting. You're so lucky to have seen the BBs in so many variations. Just think about it, in a few years (although I don't hope so), we're probably not able to see any Beach Boy on stage.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 08:23:47 PM »

I was at the Beach Boys Winterland show in San Francisco on November 18, 1973. Three days later, I attended the concert at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento (where the '64 concert album was recorded). Dennis was standing up front for most of the show, and may have played keys on a song or two. I was in the middle on the floor and don't recall ant altercations with Blondie. The Winterland show was my first Beach Boys show ever, and I remember being in awe staring at the stage and just enjoying the whole thing immensely. I remember taking a poster off one of the telephone poles after the Sacramento gig and framing it. It's this one:

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Posters,%20non-movie/pages/Tour%20poster,%201973.html

Before going to these concerts with a friend of mine, all I had in my BB's record collection were the Beach Boys Greatest Hits Vol. I, the Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds 2 album set, and the I Get Around and Good Vibrations singles. After that I picked up the '73 Concert album and there was no stopping me after that. I had to have every album and single the Beach Boys ever put out up to that point. After that, I went to pretty much every Beach Boys show in the Bay area in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:24:45 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »

I was at the Beach Boys Winterland show in San Francisco on November 18, 1973. Three days later, I attended the concert at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento (where the '64 concert album was recorded). Dennis was standing up front for most of the show, and may have played keys on a song or two. I was in the middle on the floor and don't recall ant altercations with Blondie. The Winterland show was my first Beach Boys show ever, and I remember being in awe staring at the stage and just enjoying the whole thing immensely. I remember taking a poster off one of the telephone poles after the Sacramento gig and framing it. It's this one:

http://sonic.net/~dsktracy/bbstuff/Posters,%20non-movie/pages/Tour%20poster,%201973.html

Before going to these concerts with a friend of mine, all I had in my BB's record collection were the Beach Boys Greatest Hits Vol. I, the Carl & The Passions/Pet Sounds 2 album set, and the I Get Around and Good Vibrations singles. After that I picked up the '73 Concert album and there was no stopping me after that. I had to have every album and single the Beach Boys ever put out up to that point. After that, I went to pretty much every Beach Boys show in the Bay area in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Looks like they stopped fighting the surfer-image at that point, at least when you look at the poster.
Thanks for sharing it with us !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 12:11:32 PM »

Looks like they stopped fighting the surfer-image at that point, at least when you look at the poster.

That poster actually came from a drawing for an animated sci-fi film that Dennis was trying to get off the ground around that time.  I'd forgotten all about it, (didn't really believe in it at the time, either), until a few years ago, when someone showed me a copy that Dennis had signed to them.  I instantly remembered it, and that they had done some concert posters, most likely to offset whatever Dennis had cost the band getting the drawing done.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:28:39 PM »

That poster actually came from a drawing for an animated sci-fi film that Dennis was trying to get off the ground around that time.  I'd forgotten all about it, (didn't really believe in it at the time, either), until a few years ago, when someone showed me a copy that Dennis had signed to them.  I instantly remembered it, and that they had done some concert posters, most likely to offset whatever Dennis had cost the band getting the drawing done.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information, Ed !

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx