gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:43:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats the beef?  (Read 8538 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2009, 05:39:45 PM »

It's kind of a silly debate...Dennis and Al had completely different strengths.  Dennis was a stronger writer, better artistically and probably a better musician overall.  Al had consistency, stability and reliability...not exactly Dennis' strong points.  Even vocally their strengths were polar opposites.  Al's qualities aren't as sexy as Dennis' and perhaps not as interesting, but they were just as important -- probably more important -- in terms of the day to day of actually keeping a band going.

There are few bigger Dennis boosters than I, but as a band leader I also have a lot of sympathy and respect for Al (and to some extent Mike, believe it or not), because they were the guys that punched the clock and consistently got the job done, however we may feel about the way they did it.  People don't appreciate that enough.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 02:25:25 AM »

Great post, Adam.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 09:27:06 PM »

I think Al singing that absolutely terrific, shivers inducing, earth shattering lead vocal on #1 hit Help Me Rhonda qualifies him toward being more important than Dennis in the Beach Boys

But I love Dennis and happen to think that, when it really coems down to it, Dennis was a far greater artist than any of The Beach Boys combined (yes, this included Brian)!!! He was the esscence of "tortured genius" and his music is to these ears the closest thing to (to quote John Cale in reference to Nico) 20th century classical music. Dennis rules them all IMHO!!!!! My favorite musical artist of all-time, though Carl is the best singer of all-time, and I think Dennis would happily hand him that award.

Dennis as a drummer???

Kicked ass!!! I wish he would have been on ALL the records, Hal Blaine plays like he's at an old folks home and doesn't want to wake the guy snoring 5 feet away from him. Great chops n all, but that don't mean merda when it comes to making things really MOVE!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx