gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 03:03:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Fall US tour ('new' old songs)  (Read 30283 times)
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:44:44 AM »

BrianWilson.com reports...

We just got word that Brian and his band are working in new songs to their playlist for their upcoming tours. These songs will be performed at all shows, except for festivals.

The following four car songs are ones Brian has not performed live yet:

- Shut Down
- Custom Machine
- Little Deuce Coupe

The following four songs are ones Brian has performed rarely:

- Soul Searchin'
- Melt Away
- Imagination
- Desert Drive

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:30:33 AM »

Be interesting to see what's dropped to make way for these eight.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »

Let's rev up those engines!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:59:22 AM »

Not in this economy!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:42 PM »

Custom Machine? Awesome! So underrated.
The rest - meh. Melt Away should get far more credit. IMO it's as good as most of Pet Sounds.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »

"Shut down" is my favorite car-song and one of the most exciting rock'n'roll records from that era. But I wonder how Brian will handle the not that easy lyrics.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 12:09:09 PM »

What to drop in favor of these songs?  Lets begin with Barbara Ann.  Lets drop it TWICE.....on her HEAD!!!!  And I could go to at least one concert of any and all of the BeachBoys without hearing FFF again.  Its time we used a new encore set to satisfy the crowd.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »

We just got word that Brian and his band are working in new songs to their playlist for their upcoming tours. These songs will be performed at all shows, except for festivals.

- Shut Down
- Custom Machine
- Little Deuce Coupe

- Soul Searchin'
- Melt Away
- Imagination
- Desert Drive

Brian performed Little Deuce Coupe at a few 2003 shows. Smiley

Your Imagination has been done WAY too many times to count - he was doing it as late as 2004! Same for Desert Drive.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »

- Shut Down
- Custom Machine
- Little Deuce Coupe

Yawn.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 12:41:57 PM »

Car songs and pre-BWPS/TLOS solo tracks... Not exactly the 'new' old songs I was hoping for...  Sad Oh well, I'm really looking forward to the Amsterdam show anyway. Smiley

Does anyone know if he'll be doing anything from TLOS?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 12:47:08 PM »

What to drop in favor of these songs?  Lets begin with Barbara Ann.  Lets drop it TWICE.....on her HEAD!!!!  And I could go to at least one concert of any and all of the BeachBoys without hearing FFF again.  Its time we used a new encore set to satisfy the crowd.

Couldn't agree more. I also REALLY hope he dropped Johnny B. Goode. Good song, but only if Chuck Berry does it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »

I hope to see him this year.    I would love to hear a litttle of SMiLE and  a little of TLOS as part of the show.

I like Desert Drive done live.   Much better that way.  Sort of the difference between Do It Again live vs studio.  I could enjoy hearing it live anytime. 

I think Mike's band has trumped Brians in terms of car songs by including Ballad of Old Betsy in recent perfrmances. 
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »

I don't care for Desert Drive. I didn't enjoy hearing it live on the Paul Simon co-headliner tour.

You Imagination has been played at a lot of shows, but I really like that one and they really rock out on it.

I am excited by Custom Machine. Good choice. Still waiting for some Love You stuff to get dusted off. Wouldnt mind a return of "This Whole World" either.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 02:11:21 PM »

I heart Melt Away so this is good news...hopefully this will mean the end of "Barbara Ann."

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »

Melt Away should get far more credit. IMO it's as good as most of Pet Sounds.

Couldn't agree more and unlike most people I totally prefer the original arrangement over the IJWMFTT version. To me, this song shows the true potential of BW88 as it does indeed sound like a Pet Sounds-type production circa 1988.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 03:12:59 PM »

Couldn't agree more and unlike most people I totally prefer the original arrangement over the IJWMFTT version. To me, this song shows the true potential of BW88 as it does indeed sound like a Pet Sounds-type production circa 1988.

It's one of my favorite cuts from BW88 ("There's So Many" being the next best for me), so I'm really glad to hear he's going to be doing it live. 

The others don't really excite me that much, but at least we have some hope for some other new stuff in the future..."A Day In The Life of a Tree" anyone?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »

Could it mean he will do some of the "Pleasure Island' songs?  They would qualify as new but old songs.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 04:09:54 PM »

I hope to see him this year.    I would love to hear a litttle of SMiLE and  a little of TLOS as part of the show.

I like Desert Drive done live.   Much better that way.  Sort of the difference between Do It Again live vs studio.  I could enjoy hearing it live anytime. 

I think Mike's band has trumped Brians in terms of car songs by including Ballad of Old Betsy in recent perfrmances. 

Ballad of Ol' Betsy would be great to hear Brian do if he could handle it. Your Summer
Dream and Keep an Eye on Summer were given higher profile by Summer Love Songs, but again might be hard for him to do justice to. Wish he could/would do We'll Run Away.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
SG7
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »

Who cares at this rate. Even if it's long tall texan for 2 hours  LOL LOL
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »

Agreed. Great post.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »

Custom Machine would be fun to hear with Jeff's vocals on falsetto...any chance someone will record this?  police

I have a recording from an RFH performance of Pet Sounds where Melt Away was performed (when Brian was taking request on the Blueboard I believe)...and it sounded great, the vocals were amazing, possibly my favorite version, again, Jeff had that young sounding-Brian-falsetto goin on which made it that much better. I remember hearing Desert Drive at the Paul Simon shows but then never hearing it for a couple of years, which is dissapointing....now that sounds like a Wrecking Crew vibe!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »

I'm really excited for the Brian solo songs that are being added to the set. The only time I saw Brian, the only "solo" song he did (besides Good Vibrations with the Asher lyrics) was Love & Mercy.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 06:47:50 AM »

I hope they play small venues like Lupo's  and it's  G..H . all the way!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 08:21:40 AM »

I'm really excited for the Brian solo songs that are being added to the set. The only time I saw Brian, the only "solo" song he did (besides Good Vibrations with the Asher lyrics) was Love & Mercy.

I think he did that and 'Desert Drive' when i saw him. Stuff like Walkin' The Line would work great live, i have no idea why that hasn't gone in.Same with 'Meet Me In My dreams'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »

- Soul Searchin'
- Melt Away
- Imagination
- Desert Drive

Damn we've been lucky in Sydney -- we got "Melt Away" and "Imagination" on his first tour, and "Soul Searchin'" and "Desert Drive" at the Opera House.  Great to hear they're coming back -- "Imagination" in particular was a revelation once it had been de-Thomasized.

Wonder if this'll knock on the head the "Brian's embarrassed by his other solo albums" mutterings?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx