gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:44:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Morgans on Surfer Girl  (Read 2637 times)
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:08:08 PM »

I swiped this from a Jason Pennick post on The Record Room.   http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=54492&threadid=626093&page=3                       
What's the story?

I just found that quote from Art Guy of the band Smokestack Lightning that I referenced earlier in the thread. Pretty interesting insight into the Hite Morgan era.

Quote:
60s: You recorded and released a great single as a solo artist (“Where You Gonna Go”, Valiant 762) in 1967. I assume this was prior to the start of Smokestack Lightnin’?

AG: When the New Dimensions were together, we later recorded at a studio in Hollywood known as Stereo Masters. Stereo Masters was owned by Hyte and Dorinda Morgan. They had been in the music and record business for many, many years. They helped Ray Charles in the early days and were largely responsible for the early success of the Beach Boys. You probably will never hear it from Brian Wilson, however Dorinda Morgan was the ghost writer of “Surfer Girl” and “In My Room”. She gave the credit to young Brian Wilson and he never looked back. The Wilson's father Murray, could not handle the young group and didn't have a clue what to do with them or for them. Hyte and Dorinda took the Beach Boys on a handshake, because that's the kind of people they were. Their first hit “Surfin'” was recorded at Stereo Masters and released on the Morgan's independent label. It started to take off and they cut a deal with Capitol for re-release. Capitol had them re-record the record to polish it since the group at the time couldn't play or sing well. In fact, when we played with them at the surf fair at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium in about 1962-63, they had just come from a concert where we were told the audience had thrown things at them because their performance was so lousy. Needless to say, when the Beach Boys started to take off, Murray Wilson went running back in, snatched the group from the Morgan's and went to Capitol as their representative. There was a long legal battle over publishing, recording rights, etc., but in the end without proper contracts the Morgan's basically lost out. Even back then, the Beach Boys and their family were not great or ethical people, especially Brian and his father.

Honk! Honk!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »

You probably will never hear it from Brian Wilson, however Dorinda Morgan was the ghost writer of “Surfer Girl” and “In My Room”.

"In My Room" was written in 1963, with Gary Usher, well over a year after the BB made their last recordings for the Morgans.

Their first hit “Surfin'” was recorded at Stereo Masters and released on the Morgan's independent label. It started to take off and they cut a deal with Capitol for re-release. Capitol had them re-record the record to polish it since the group at the time couldn't play or sing well.

All the Morgan recordings (excepting the demos) were recorded at World-Pacific: "Surfin'" was released on Candix and X, both owned by the Dix brothers - not the Morgans. Murry got the contract with Capitol, and "Surfin'" was most definitely not re-recorded.

Sunstitute "inaccurate" for "interesting" and you're closer to the truth.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 02:29:12 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 03:12:02 PM »

What a bunch of BS that is. "Snatched" from the Morgans!...that one made me laugh. Its more than well documented that the BB's were dead in the water following Surfin'. Murry strong armed their way onto Capitol Records. They caught fire because they took it all in a more electric/rock direction upon Al's departure. The Morgan's had nothing to do with any of that.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 03:31:26 PM »

You probably will never hear it from Brian Wilson, however Dorinda Morgan was the ghost writer of “Surfer Girl” and “In My Room”. She gave the credit to young Brian Wilson and he never looked back.

Interesting consider David was actually there when Brian was writing Surfer Girl, and it was long before the Morgan's came into the picture.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 04:55:02 PM »

Wow...there are so many untrue things in that posting that I don't know where to begin!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »

Thankfully we have Jon, Andrew, and David (through Carrie) here to expose this for the crap it is.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »

Thankfully we have Jon, Andrew, and David (through Carrie) here to expose this for the crap it is.

No kidding...those are some big accusations to make when the established facts are completely contrary. 
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »

Unbelievable! Why people make claims like this is beyond me.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 07:46:01 PM »

I don't know if my eyes can handle that many lies in such a short period of time.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 11:37:42 PM »

Thanks. I figured as much.

Honk! Honk!
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 12:01:54 AM »

Capitol had them re-record the record to polish it since the group at the time couldn't play or sing well.
"Surfin'" was most definitely not re-recorded.

Funny how people can think this. So if you showed him 'both' versions then he'd say "wow the singing on the single version is terrible!!" Cheesy
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 06:34:25 AM »

Wow...there are so many untrue things in that posting that I don't know where to begin!

Including the spelling of Murry's name.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx