gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:07:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello all...!  (Read 25986 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2009, 11:03:47 AM »

The Beatles evolved more gracefully than the Beachboys.  I think that is why their changes were accepted.  Think about the Beatles singles of the mid sixties;  Nowhere Man, Day Tripper, Eleanor Rigby, and so on.  After Pet Sounds and Good Vibrations.....we didn't really hear any ongoing compelling music from the band for awhile on the radio.
The Beatles never foda stopped!  Hit after hit after hit and they were all good.....from the first spin.  Even John Lennons totally out there period yielded The Ballad of John and Yoko.  Which brings us to another point; The Beatles were individual celebrities...known to all.  The Beach Boys weren't so.  We had songs about Lennon's mom, his wife, and his son.  Songs about Paul's wife and dog.I don't recall songs about Audrey, Marilyn, or Carnie...at least not till many years later.  And they were not hits.  Even George was successful  with songs about his eastern spiritualism.  Unlike Mike Love.

So, in conclusion, The Beatles were part of the family and we knew all about them.  And they never stopped evolving and writing truly great songs.   

But in the end, to be fair, Paul kept cranking them out when John faltered.  When Brian faltered, there was no one to pick up the slack.
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »

I'm 26 myself and have been into the Boys for a couple years now. I've pretty well been through their entire catalog from Surfin' to Holland. Most of the people I know as friends are younger than I am, though a couple of my best friends are a few years older. I pretty well keep my Beach Boys music to myself around them except for the older ones. The young-ens are pretty much bias around here towards either rap or country (I'm in north Florida, thus the country music). I don't mind some of the country, but rap isn't for me really.

In all honesty, I've never gauged many of their interests in Beach Boys music. We'll all go to the beach and on the way there it's pretty much rap the whole way. One day I should put in one of my BB CDs and see what happens. Probably won't last long. LOL Oh well.

As for the Beatles, I like them a lot, but am not as emotionally involved as I am towards the Beach Boys music. Both groups progressed equally as good and fast from '64-'66, but the Beatles continued big through '69 and obviously Lennon and McCartney had pretty big solo careers afterward that further solidified them.

What Donald said was pretty fair. I love the songs Carl and Denny put out through '68-'70, but it wasn't in the Lennon-McCartney league to be frank.

Anyway, I've also heard comments about the Beach Boys not really being a rock and roll band. I don't know how many times I've heard they lacked the bass and drums to be a great band and I think that makes people think differently about them.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »

I'm 26 myself and have been into the Boys for a couple years now. I've pretty well been through their entire catalog from Surfin' to Holland. Most of the people I know as friends are younger than I am, though a couple of my best friends are a few years older. I pretty well keep my Beach Boys music to myself around them except for the older ones. The young-ens are pretty much bias around here towards either rap or country (I'm in north Florida, thus the country music). I don't mind some of the country, but rap isn't for me really.

In all honesty, I've never gauged many of their interests in Beach Boys music. We'll all go to the beach and on the way there it's pretty much rap the whole way. One day I should put in one of my BB CDs and see what happens. Probably won't last long. LOL Oh well.

As for the Beatles, I like them a lot, but am not as emotionally involved as I am towards the Beach Boys music. Both groups progressed equally as good and fast from '64-'66, but the Beatles continued big through '69 and obviously Lennon and McCartney had pretty big solo careers afterward that further solidified them.

What Donald said was pretty fair. I love the songs Carl and Denny put out through '68-'70, but it wasn't in the Lennon-McCartney league to be frank.

Anyway, I've also heard comments about the Beach Boys not really being a rock and roll band. I don't know how many times I've heard they lacked the bass and drums to be a great band and I think that makes people think differently about them.

Country also seems to be pretty big up here in Northern New York State...but instead of rap being big where I live, everyone (but me, seems like) listens to nu-metal/post-grunge/crappy hard rock (Nickelback, etc.), 70s "classic rock", or whatever crap the top 40 station is spewing out (which sometimes includes rap). It's depressing, I tell ya.

And how are the BBs not a great band just because they lack "the bass and drums"Huh That kind of stuff is trivial and shouldn't matter. It's the songs that make a band, not how much "boom boom" sound they make. Maybe the haters are right, and the Boys are not  "real" rock band. So what? There's nothing wrong with being a "pop" band...  But if you want to silence the "no drums or bass" people, just play them a live BB album (Dennis bashes the drums pretty hard on Live in London, sideman Ed Carter plays a mean bass on In Concert), or even Pet Sounds and SMiLE stuff...Ray Pohlman and Carol Kaye play some pretty sweet Brian Wilson-composed bass lines.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2009, 03:53:17 PM »

24 here...

We're taking...OVER!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »

She said that their music reminded her of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs when he's running around wearing human skin, that something was off about it. I think she first told me that when "Ding Dang" came on.

Don't you mean Buffalo Bob?!! Or am I thinking of Joe Dirt? LOL LOL "It puts the lotion on the skin."

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »

Country also seems to be pretty big up here in Northern New York State...but instead of rap being big where I live, everyone (but me, seems like) listens to nu-metal/post-grunge/crappy hard rock (Nickelback, etc.), 70s "classic rock", or whatever crap the top 40 station is spewing out (which sometimes includes rap). It's depressing, I tell ya.

And how are the BBs not a great band just because they lack "the bass and drums"Huh That kind of stuff is trivial and shouldn't matter. It's the songs that make a band, not how much "boom boom" sound they make. Maybe the haters are right, and the Boys are not  "real" rock band. So what? There's nothing wrong with being a "pop" band...  But if you want to silence the "no drums or bass" people, just play them a live BB album (Dennis bashes the drums pretty hard on Live in London, sideman Ed Carter plays a mean bass on In Concert), or even Pet Sounds and SMiLE stuff...Ray Pohlman and Carol Kaye play some pretty sweet Brian Wilson-composed bass lines.

Ha. I have a friend who is from upstate New York and she's a huge country fan (Dwight Yoakim, Clint Black, etc).

I have no clue why some say they aren't a great band because of the bass and drums. I do remember reading somewhere that Brian wasn't a big fan of drums/symbols and some of their studio recordings are kind of quiet on drums...that may be where that comes from. Bass, though, I thought the BBs had some dang good bass going on.

Also, you have to remember some of the ones saying that stuff are probably into rap where all you hear is "boom boom" and nothing else.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx