gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:45:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello all...!  (Read 25626 times)
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 04:52:33 PM »

Hey, don't diss Dad's music.  Bluegrass has it's place, I'm sure.  Not around my house, though!

BTW, my 14 year old stepdaughter informed me about an hour ago that she thinks my music is weird.  Geeeez!
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »

Lol yeah it does...but I dont want to hear its place!

Aww thats sad:(  I'm actually getting my 12 year old neice into the good music! I'm proud of myself. Over the weekend, she visited & she goes "Aunt Brittany, can you put on that song that goes 'And she'll have fun, fun, fun til her daddy takes the t bird away' " And I was like YES of course!!!! It was an awesome moment. Then she proceeds to ask how is it that I can be so cool while being 21 & listening to "the really old stuff".

LOL

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2009, 05:09:40 PM »

Right on!!!  Cool
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

Lol yeah it does...but I dont want to hear its place!

Aww thats sad:(  I'm actually getting my 12 year old neice into the good music! I'm proud of myself. Over the weekend, she visited & she goes "Aunt Brittany, can you put on that song that goes 'And she'll have fun, fun, fun til her daddy takes the t bird away' " And I was like YES of course!!!! It was an awesome moment. Then she proceeds to ask how is it that I can be so cool while being 21 & listening to "the really old stuff".

LOL

Not long beofre she's gonna be askin for that Johnny Carson song, that's when the real magic happens  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »

Just don't let her listen to Hey Little Tomboy.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2009, 06:13:10 PM »

Just don't let her listen to Hey Little Tomboy.

LOL....  true that...  but it's still a damn catchy song

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »

I know how you feel Brittany, I feel like I was born into the wrong generation Undecided I was 6 when I started liking the Beach Boys; my stepdad got me into it when he bought the Pet Sounds box set. I heard them before that too, but God Only Knows became sort of my theme song for a few years and got me hooked after he bought the box set, lol. I had him make me a cassette of the song and the backing track, and I wore a couple out listening to those two things over and over again. I always go to my stepdad with any questions, he's pretty much an expert. He met all the Beach Boys except Brian at an airport once after a concert, I'm incredibly jealous Shocked

This past year is when I've gotten really into all the band members and everything behind the music. It's all so fascinating. I guess you could call me a Brianista, as someone else put it Tongue Hate to play favorites, but I'd have to say he's mine. Him or Carl.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2009, 11:45:06 PM »

I think I like a lot of older music because the way it was produced, like how... wait for it, wait for it... THEY ONLY USED THE REAL REVERB OF INSTRUMENTS BEING PLAYED TOGETHER IN A ROOM! It was so crazy. Now they process sounds too much. It's so digital and overly CRISP that the CD might as well be burnt toast.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »

I guess you could call me a Brianista, as someone else put it Tongue Hate to play favorites, but I'd have to say he's mine. Him or Carl.

Maybe other people have a different take on it but there's nothing wrong with having Brian as your favourite Beach Boy. A Brianista (as far as I know) is someone who thinks that Brian is the only talented member and everything he touched is genius. Basically he can do no wrong - which clearly isn't true.
Day Tripper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 03:56:16 AM »

Hi. I got into the Beach Boys when I was 15.  I had just moved to Florida when my parents divorced. I lived my own "Califoria Myth" around Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach, while listening to the Endless Summer compilation. Only later did I get into the legend of Smile, and it became an obsession of mine for years. I would eventually become a musician because of Brian, and once recorded "Surfs Up" because his solo version of it haunted me so.

I'm curious, do your friends give you a hard time for digging the Beach Boys?  Some of mine do, but most of my musician friends can appreciate the emotional depth and complex compositional creativity of Brian. He was in a heavenly place when he wrote some of his songs. I'm a huge Beatle fan, but Brian's music took me to another place.

Welcome to the board. You'll find the most knowledgable BB fans here. I am constantly impressed with the wealth of information I've learned since joining. Start searching the past threads here, you have a lot to catch up on. - chuck
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2009, 12:09:51 PM »

Yeah, I had an ex-girlfriend that gave me a really hard time for liking the BBs. It was when I first got into them. She said that their music reminded her of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs when he's running around wearing human skin, that something was off about it. I think she first told me that when "Ding Dang" came on.

Just remember, the Beach Boys are "fucking gay", people, LOL.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:10:50 PM by Dada » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

Is this the same board I've been visiting these past years?  I thought the 30 somethings were the kids here.

Hey! Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson are 67!! 
Even the kids who grew up on this music are nearing retirement!   

(By the way, that was Sheriff John Stone..and he is damn glad to meet anybody!)

And don't get me started on those Four Octogenarian Freshmen!!
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2009, 12:46:18 PM »

Hi. I got into the Beach Boys when I was 15.  I had just moved to Florida when my parents divorced. I lived my own "Califoria Myth" around Daytona Beach and New Smyrna Beach, while listening to the Endless Summer compilation. Only later did I get into the legend of Smile, and it became an obsession of mine for years. I would eventually become a musician because of Brian, and once recorded "Surfs Up" because his solo version of it haunted me so.

I'm curious, do your friends give you a hard time for digging the Beach Boys?  Some of mine do, but most of my musician friends can appreciate the emotional depth and complex compositional creativity of Brian. He was in a heavenly place when he wrote some of his songs. I'm a huge Beatle fan, but Brian's music took me to another place.

Welcome to the board. You'll find the most knowledgable BB fans here. I am constantly impressed with the wealth of information I've learned since joining. Start searching the past threads here, you have a lot to catch up on. - chuck

Oh yeah I get quite alot of slack for loving them as much as I do. Thats why, anymore I am VERY picky about who I hang out with. If people cant appreciate some of the best music ever recorded, then I dont want anything to do with them Grin

Especially the area I live in, just filled with cookie cutters...I HATE IT.

Oh I dont know what I would be, I guess not a Brianista because I dont think he's the only one with talent. They each have talent. Hmm, I dont know what I would be. Brian is my fav though, with Denny a close second! Grin Grin Love

LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »

Yeah, I had an ex-girlfriend that gave me a really hard time for liking the BBs. It was when I first got into them. She said that their music reminded her of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs when he's running around wearing human skin, that something was off about it. I think she first told me that when "Ding Dang" came on.

Just remember, the Beach Boys are "friggin' gay", people, LOL.

Who said that? I dont know about anyone else, but theres a stupid trend I've noticed. Especially with people my age range [18-25]....that somehow its super cool to like The Beatles & its not cool to like The Beach Boys. Before anyone gets pissed, hear me out....

Dont get me wrong. I like The Beatles, albeit not as much as The Beach Boys but I do like them. Personally I just dont see how they were any better then The Beach Boys. Anyway, I've noticed people in my age range [and trust me I've talked to plenty of them] and they all say "Ohhh yeah, The Beatles, love them!" and they go around wearing the black t shirt with The Beatles logo in white that you can find pretty much ANYWHERE [JC Penny, Wal Mart]. But yet I bring up The Beach Boys and suddenly the room gets quite. The once talkative age group doesnt really know what to say besides, "Ummm, they were nothing compared to The Beatles" or  "Who???". Not kidding, I heard both those answers. Of course I get really pissed and rattle off a whole list of reasons on why The Beach Boys remain one of the most important, influential, talented bands ever. I have this odd need to "protect" the Beach Boys, lol.

Anyway, I guess my whole point here is, it makes me sick how its so "cool" to like one band but yet another equally talented/important/well known band gets forgotten or pushed to the side. And then I get embarrassed to even be associated with the age group.  Embarrassed

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »

Brittany, the Beatles/Beach Boys dichotomy has been there since the 60's.  The Beatles were always considered cool and sophisticated, while the Beach Boys were seen as square and unhip (although the Pet Sounds/Good Vibrations period briefly helped to change that, to a degree).  So I think that's why we encounter the same thing today.  History tends to generalize, and the labels given to both bands in the 60's have, more or less, stuck. 

A lot of people today, especially younger people, still think of the Beach Boys in terms of songs like "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Kokomo."  Obviously the band hasn't done much in the last 30 years to get away from that image.  But after almost 50 years, it's difficult to change that perception and get to a point where the Beach Boys are considered just as groundbreaking and hip as the Beatles.

On the positive side, though, Pet Sounds has served to "legitimize" the Beach Boys in the last 10-15 years, especially among young musicians, and I think as the years go by, that trend will continue.  Young fans like you and others on this board are further proof that there is hope for this generation yet, musically speaking.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »

Welcome aboard Brittany! It's always nice to see yet another fellow "youngster" on the board (I'm 21). I wonder how many members of this board are under 25?

Semi-unrelated fact: I live in Brittany  LOL

23 here.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »

Yeah that makes sense, still angers me though.

But to me, if people are going to rag on "Fun Fun Fun" [which I like that song] then shouldnt they rag on "Twist & Shout" [I like that song as well] ? To me, the criticism is just really unfair towards the Beach Boys. The Beatles early songs were mainly about love & girls. The Beach Boys- surfing, girls, cars, love. My whole point is,  they both wrote about the same ideas to a certain point in their careers.

Seeing that the BB's were almost more popular over in the UK makes me thing its a "foriegn"  kind of thing & because of how huge The Beatles got over here. Was it just because they were from the UK and had different hairstyles???

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2009, 02:24:35 PM »

The other day I was listening to Smiley Smile, and when Vegetables came on, my sister said "this is gay"...she loves Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun, California Girls, Wouldn't It Be Nice, etc., but anytime I try to get her into SMiLE, the non-hits from Pet Sounds, the 67-73 stuff, her reaction is usually either hatred or indifference. But then again, she listens mostly to top 40 country, Yellowcard, and Miley Cyrus (even though she's fodaing 19!!!!  Huh Huh Thud ), and is very closed minded when it comes to discovering music. Either that or she just doesn't like SMiLE because I like it...a sort of sibling rivalry.

And my dad just plain hates the BBs...calls them "f@&$" because he doesn't like BW's falsetto in California Girls...and because of that, he writes off everything they've ever done!! Yet he loves Three Dog Night (who really weren't that much different from the BBs)!! Huh I think 70s AOR FM radio and later on classic rock radio brainwashed him into thinking that good rock bands only play hard rock, prog rock, or southern rock...and nowadays he listens to country  Thud Thud Thud

And one time in a classic rock group on Facebook, I posted the cover of SMiLE and gave it the caption "The album that would've blown Sgt. Pepper out of the water...", and I got several comments, all basically saying "there's no way the Beach Boys would've ever beat the Beatles".

And out of my friends who are actually avid music fans, a lot of them realize the significance of Pet Sounds, and have maybe heard of SMiLE, but I'm really the only one who's REALLY into the BBs. I once met a guy who thought the BBs were an "80s band"...guess he must've only known them from Kokomo and Full House Thud Thud Thud .
I definitely feel it is still more socially acceptable to like the Beatles than to like the Beach Boys...but whatever...if SMiLE had come in '67, it would be a totally different story!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2009, 02:33:08 PM »

But to me, if people are going to rag on "Fun Fun Fun" [which I like that song] then shouldnt they rag on "Twist & Shout" [I like that song as well] ? To me, the criticism is just really unfair towards the Beach Boys. The Beatles early songs were mainly about love & girls. The Beach Boys- surfing, girls, cars, love. My whole point is,  they both wrote about the same ideas to a certain point in their careers.

Oh I agree, it's absolutely a double-standard.  The Beatles were allowed by their fans and the music world to evolve and experiment beyond the early stuff.  The Beach Boys, in general, were not.  The respective images of both groups were certainly to blame for that fact, sad as that is. 

That's not to say that there was anything wrong with singing about cars and girls...both groups made some great music during that time.  But the world wanted the Beach Boys to stay stuck in that mode forever (the success of Good Vibrations aside), while every new step the Beatles took was embraced almost unquestionably.  People don't realize that both groups were experimenting and evolving...thus you have the likes of Jann Wenner proclaiming that the Beatles were the only group innovating and pushing the boundaries of rock n' roll.  And people have continued to buy that to this day.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2009, 02:53:49 PM »

But to me, if people are going to rag on "Fun Fun Fun" [which I like that song] then shouldnt they rag on "Twist & Shout" [I like that song as well] ? To me, the criticism is just really unfair towards the Beach Boys.

To be fair, though, I think most people who think the Beatles were progressive, cool, etc. aren't comparing T&S to FFF. Most of them just don't know the Beach Boys ever did anything (outside of Good Vibrations, which was f***ed from a coolness factor for a whole generation by Sunkist anyway) past surf/car songs. I know when I was in my teens and early 20s, I adored the Beatles because I knew the whole progression. I didn't much like the earlier music they did, but knew where it led. I had no concept of the Beach Boys making any such progression: I knew the Endless Summer double album. Period.

What it takes is the willingness to dig a little deeper into material that used to be almost wholly unavailable to many of us, and remains under-marketed to a certain audience. Then you don't stop with FFF v T&S; you can compare Surf's Up to A Day in the Life, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »

The other day I was listening to Smiley Smile, and when Vegetables came on, my sister said "this is gay"...she loves Surfin' USA, Fun Fun Fun, California Girls, Wouldn't It Be Nice, etc., but anytime I try to get her into SMiLE, the non-hits from Pet Sounds, the 67-73 stuff, her reaction is usually either hatred or indifference. But then again, she listens mostly to top 40 country, Yellowcard, and Miley Cyrus (even though she's fodaing 19!!!!  Huh Huh Thud ), and is very closed minded when it comes to discovering music. Either that or she just doesn't like SMiLE because I like it...a sort of sibling rivalry.

That's funny.... My sister, who's 15 (I'm 18, btw), is an avid Lady Gaga fan etc,  asked me for 'that beach boys song where they sing about vegetables' the other day. The mindset at that age though (and lord knows i suffered from it) is more 'whats popular' than 'eat a lot, sleep a lot...' Tongue

Agree with others about the stigma. It's infuriating. The amount of times i've had to describe Pet Sounds as not 'being about surfing or cars' and actually being 'real music' (You get what i mean, i hope) to people, Capitol should pay me a salary.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2009, 05:33:51 PM »

I'm still really new here, and I'm about a month shy of 21.  So maybe the BB's are starting to see an influx of young fans.  I've been fan since who knows when.  I grew up with only a copy of Surf's Up and they eventually became one of my favorite bands.  Of course, it must have made a big impression because I ended going to KSU, haha.  Nice to meet you, and all the others I don't know!  I should post more.  Smiley
Nicole
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »

Maybe other people have a different take on it but there's nothing wrong with having Brian as your favourite Beach Boy. A Brianista (as far as I know) is someone who thinks that Brian is the only talented member and everything he touched is genius. Basically he can do no wrong - which clearly isn't true.
Ohhhh, then that's not me. No pun intended, lol. He's incredibly talented, but I know he's not the only one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:45:26 PM by Nicole » Logged
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2009, 07:44:14 PM »

Hey Alex, tell your dad that Danny Hutton used to hang out/write with/etc with the BB and is even in some of the dvd's out there on the BB, so there!!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2009, 08:33:22 AM »

Hey Alex, tell your dad that Danny Hutton used to hang out/write with/etc with the BB and is even in some of the dvd's out there on the BB, so there!!!

Oh, I've tried!!!! He probably doesn't even know the members' names!!! I could point out a picture of Hutton on a 3 Dog Night record, but he wouldn't care. There's no way I could ever get him into the BBs...maybe he'd like certain songs from the early 70s, but only as long as he doesn't know they are by the BBs. I wouldn't be surprised if the media saturation from the Brian's Back campaign contributed to his disdain for the group.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx