gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:23:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rhino's "alternate" Heroes & Villains take  (Read 3614 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:04:40 AM »

Rhino's latest Nuggests box set includes an alternate take of the Beach Boys Heroes & Villains.

Pleeeease tell me it's the now-"standard" Cantina version and not something we addicts have to go and buy!

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2009/06/rhino-excavates-la-with-latest-nuggets-box-set/

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 02:15:32 AM »

I see it doesn't bear the "previously unreleased" asterisk... so chances are it's the 2fer version.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 02:42:20 AM »

Pleeeease tell me it's the now-"standard" Cantina version and not something we addicts have to go and buy!

lolwut

So you're saying you don't want another alternate version of "Heroes and Villains" to surface?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 04:36:01 AM »

lolwut
So you're saying you don't want another alternate version of "Heroes and Villains" to surface?

Not that, I just don't want to have to buy an entire box set for just one track. In fact I can't afford that kind of extravagance any more!

Different matter if it came out as part of a package of previously unreleased BBs' material, especially SMiLE material!

(What's lolwut???)

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 07:00:06 AM »

lolwut

Not that, I just don't want to have to buy an entire box set for just one track. In fact I can't afford that kind of extravagance any more!

Different matter if it came out as part of a package of previously unreleased BBs' material, especially SMiLE material!

(What's lolwut???)

There's such an embarassment of riches as far as truly great rare and obscure stuff on this set that it would be well worth it even without a new take of H&V.  There's a lot of BW-influenced stuff on especially disc 3.  I've burned a ton of these singles over the years, but it will be nice having copies from the masters.  And it's nice to finally have a legitimate release of Jan & Dean's great "Fan Tan."  Other big highlights for me are "Just Can't Wait" by The Full Treatment and "Come Down" by The Common Cold.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 07:13:34 AM »

lolwut

(What's lolwut???)

There's such an embarassment of riches as far as truly great rare and obscure stuff on this set that it would be well worth it even without a new take of H&V.  There's a lot of BW-influenced stuff on especially disc 3.  I've burned a ton of these singles over the years, but it will be nice having copies from the masters.  And it's nice to finally have a legitimate release of Jan & Dean's great "Fan Tan."  Other big highlights for me are "Just Can't Wait" by The Full Treatment and "Come Down" by The Common Cold.

Nice... I read the tracklisting carefully and I had a hunch that this might exactly be the case. It does sound a bit different compared to prior Nuggets box sets.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 08:55:31 AM »

What surprises me is that they are still releasing Nuggets comps, when the first one came out in, like '72, or something.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 09:26:12 AM »

What surprises me is that they are still releasing Nuggets comps, when the first one came out in, like '72, or something.

Well... they're still releasing BBs' Greatest Hits comps, and the first came out in 1966!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »

But they're brilliant. It's too bad they only release them in limited quantities, i play the 1st one to death.

It also has Come To The Sunshine by Van Dyke Parks, which i haven't found anywhere....

*digs into wallet*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:02 AM »

Heard Van's version of CTTS once on an old vinyl compilation but don't remember it well. Still mildly curious re: lolwut... Huh
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:34:25 AM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »

re: lolwut... Huh

as one of this boards resident youths, i'll step in  Grin

basically, it's funny but doesn't make sense, or....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 03:28:29 AM »

It also has Come To The Sunshine by Van Dyke Parks, which i haven't found anywhere....

*digs into wallet*

My wallet, empty though it currently is, will also have to be pressed into service just for that track.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 05:59:55 AM »

Nice find!  LA Nuggets!!  This set looks good.

I've got the San Fran nuggets.  It's nice too.  I love the packaging, and LA Nuggets appears to be of the same design.  The CD holders are fair...but the book is right on...100%.  Actually it IS a book, with 4 CDs in the back.  Great book too.  Hardcover, coffee-table dazzler.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 06:15:30 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:59:25 PM »

Nice find!  LA Nuggets!!  This set looks good.

I've got the San Fran nuggets.  It's nice too.  I love the packaging, and LA Nuggets appears to be of the same design.  The CD holders are fair...but the book is right on...100%.  Actually it IS a book, with 4 CDs in the back.  Great book too.  Hardcover, coffee-table dazzler.

*drool*

These don't even pop up on ebay! It's kind of counter-productive to make compilations to reclaim all this lost music and then only make 5,000 copies or whatever. I don't know....

Sciencefriction
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »

If I had more money I'd buy this, it looks like it has so many great tracks. 
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »

Aha! Heard a rumour about this set; glad it's finally appearing. This will be officially the best compilation ever.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx