gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:48:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A new generation of US bands cites the Beach Boys as a huge inspiration.  (Read 8035 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 06:40:53 PM »

"Music Critic Hype" - Isnt that exactly what they are supposed to do? You guys crack me up.

Absolutely not. Promoters, yes. Music critics? No. If they are doing "hype," they fucking suck.

Of course, most of them fucking suck.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2009, 07:48:13 PM »

I heard of a lot of people who are into modern- kind've underground- bands cite how some groups sound just like the Beach Boys, and I don't hear it at all. The Beach Boys we know as avid fans are something waaayyy different than anything that ever was or is. We know the backing tracks, counter harmonies, rotating speakers, Johnny Carson, and tracks 3 & 4 of Smiley Smile inside and out. Being such a BB snob I have to sigh when I hear someone say, "so and so sounds just like the Beach Boys..."   Tongue
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »

But really, it isn't much different than how every band with a pair of guys singing in thirds gets called "Beatlesque," or how anyone even moderately literate on an acoustic guitar is "Dylanesque," or how anyone with pounding drums or a high-tenor singer gets the Zeppelin comparisons, or how electric 12-strings get one immediately called a Byrds-like band, or ... (stereotypes continue ad infinitum).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »

But really, it isn't much different than how every band with a pair of guys singing in thirds gets called "Beatlesque," or how anyone even moderately literate on an acoustic guitar is "Dylanesque," or how anyone with pounding drums or a high-tenor singer gets the Zeppelin comparisons, or how electric 12-strings get one immediately called a Byrds-like band, or ... (stereotypes continue ad infinitum).

True Story, but I feel people are much more familiar with the Beatles, Zeppelin, and Dylan compared to the Beach Boys...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2009, 10:13:55 PM »

For what it's worth. I LOVE that Explorer's Club album.
Who cares if it's somewhat derivative. I think most of those songs are picking up where IMO the Beach Boys left off.
Somewhat derivative is the understatement of the century. Their songs are blatant ripoffs on Beach Boys songs.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

For what it's worth. I LOVE that Explorer's Club album.
Who cares if it's somewhat derivative. I think most of those songs are picking up where IMO the Beach Boys left off.
Somewhat derivative is the understatement of the century. Their songs are blatant ripoffs on Beach Boys songs.

So sue them. Less of the sour grapes. If you like beautiful, wistful songs, with exquisity-sung harmonies then you'll like the Explrers Club.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2009, 07:42:21 AM »

Some other modern bands that have been influenced by the BBs: Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins, Grandaddy, Pollyphonic Spree, High Llammas and the Sonic Youth. Personally, I love all of these bands. Including the ones mentioned before. In the 1970s through 90s, it seemed there were much more Beatles influenced bands. It seems that there have been more BB influenced bands in recent years which has improved music IMO.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »

Some other modern bands that have been influenced by the BBs: Flaming Lips, Smashing Pumpkins, Grandaddy, Pollyphonic Spree, High Llammas and the Sonic Youth. Personally, I love all of these bands. Including the ones mentioned before. In the 1970s through 90s, it seemed there were much more Beatles influenced bands. It seems that there have been more BB influenced bands in recent years which has improved music IMO.

I second your statement!! Cool

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx