gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:52:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
5 - 10 (16.1%)
4 - 19 (30.6%)
3 - 22 (35.5%)
2 - 7 (11.3%)
1 - 1 (1.6%)
0 - 3 (4.8%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Just Wasn't Made For These Times  (Read 34696 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00:02 PM »

How did they afford a real harpsichord for this but not BWPS? Weird.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 02:52:26 PM »

How did they afford a real harpsichord for this but not BWPS? Weird.
Cost wasn't the issue on BWPS. As I recall from an interview--and I apologize, but I forget which one, but either with Darian or Mark L--they had originally planned to do the synth ones as placeholders, then replace with real ones (this goes for tack piano, as well). But they simply decided those sounded good enough, and that it wasn't worth the trouble.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:05 PM »

Yep, this album and Imagination have those bland A/C arrangements, BW88 is swamped with those %@*! synths, and GIOMH has those offkey vocals. BW's solo catalog is pretty weak, except for the unreleased stuff.

It's not so much that the songs or even his solo catalogue are weak, the production and arrangement choices just haven't been that great. I felt like TLOS, barring a few elements, was the first solo album of his that really seemed like it was pulled off well (aside from BWPS, but that borrows a lot from the 60s arrangements and production).

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 07:30:51 AM »

I love this album and its accompanying film.  A person can say there was no need to re-record these songs but Brian had gone through so many changes by this time, I think it's great to hear these songs from a new perspective.  You can tell Brian is having a lot of fun and there's a lot of personality in these numbers.  I also really love the sound of the backup singers.  The version of Do It Again on here is the best ever recorded, even better than the Beach Boys version.  Good selection of songs, great performances.

5/5

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 09:07:55 AM »

Has anyone heard this on vinyl yet? I never have enough money when I see it in the record shop but I want it so bad...I bet that demo of Still I dream of It is hauntingly beautiful on vinyl.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SBonilla
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »

It's OK. It's stripped down, but it's not organic enough for me, as far as that kind of thing goes. It's not intimate enough or rockin' enough. The  bg's are executed well, but I don't think the backing vocalists really get how to do the West Coast bg thing.

Don's approach to the production brings things close to middle of the road rock. If I were going on the music from the documentary to form an opinion of Brian Wilson's music, I don't think I would have been that impressed
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 01:55:20 AM »

Does anyone have the 2013 [?] vinyl reissue? How does it sound?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »

I would like to have it, but it's a bit pricey, especially for such a short album. I may change my mind, though. I have very nice memories of the time this album and documentary came out, in the middle of the happiest year of my life. Always takes me back to that time. Plus it felt like an eternity had passed since Brian's first album, so I was just starved to hear anything from him. So it is partly sentimental reasons that place this and OCA high on my list.
KDS
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2015, 06:02:32 AM »

I think the significance of this album far outweighs the content.  Brian Wilson performing some BB classics, deep cuts, and solo songs.

His voice may be a little raw, but at this point to hear him sing anything was a miracle. 

The song selection is interesting too.  Melt Away, Let the Wind Blow, Meant for You.  I like that he goes with the far less obvious songs.  Love and Mercy and Melt Away are each far better than the BW88 versions. 

Wonderful, Caroline No, and The Warmth of the Sun don't seem to work as well. 

Carnie and Wendy on Do It Again was a nice touch. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer the version of Still I Dream of It that appeared on the GV box.  Much like the demo of In the Back of My Mind that was released on the super deluxe NPP, I find the vocals tough to listen to. 

Overall, I give this a three.  Significant release, yes.  But ultimately, won't be played very often. 

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »

That demo of Still I Dream of it is out of place on this album. If they wanted to showcase another song from the film, it should have been that version of God Only Knows with Brian, Carl and Audree at the piano.
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2015, 01:32:51 PM »

I absolutely love this album (and the doc) and play it regularly. The doc itself really distils my love for Brian, anyone who asks seriously about him I send to that doc.

One thing is really, really bugging me....my kingdom for the answer:

Is there a copy of the full version of OCA that Brian sings at the Piano with VDP anywhere in circulation? Anywhere?

I think that this version is so superior to the released version, they must have recorded it fully, I just want to hear own it...

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2015, 04:44:58 PM »

I like that version, too. The album version seems overproduced. Hearing this song for the first time, my thought was "Sunflower". It was a very hopeful time as Brian fan, hearing him finally return to making music, and I really expected some amazing stuff from him throughout the rest of the 90's and into the 00's.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2016, 11:15:45 PM »

I have it, it's a really really! great press.  Quality release and very quiet background noise.
My go to copy, and glad this found it's way to vinyl.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2016, 12:10:14 PM »

I did see the vinyl at Half Price Books for $27.99. That's steep! But I would grab it if I was still employed full time.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx