gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680746 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 11:25:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When they find those lost acetates...  (Read 1885 times)
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2009, 03:07:22 AM »

... they could use this process to master them.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11851842
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 03:43:29 AM »

I'm not interested. I hate redundant 'hissing noises in the background'. So: no, thanks.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 03:59:24 AM »

I'm not interested. I hate redundant 'hissing noises in the background'. So: no, thanks.

So you wouldn't listen to rediscovered SMiLE acetates cos they have a little hiss? Even the Don must have played the odd wonky bootleg or two?

“We live in divisive times.”
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:08:56 AM »

Thanks for sharing. That was really cool.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:35:09 AM »

So you wouldn't listen to rediscovered SMiLE acetates cos they have a little hiss? Even the Don must have played the odd wonky bootleg or two?

Didn't you know that bootlegs are illegal?  police

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:23:31 AM »

That is a neat technology.  Some libraries (and I think the LOC too) have the Finial (sp?) turntable, which plays groove records with a tuned laser, somewhat akin to how a laser plays a CD.  The results are pretty good, though the Finial never caught on as a consumer or semi-pro piece of equipment.  Too expensive and a little quirky (pieces of dirt in the groove can sound like cannon shots instead of pops).  Maybe this IRENE thing is more accurate in the long run, since it creates a single linear track which presumably can be uploaded as a high-rez WAV file and edited/EQ'd in the usual ways.  As long as the acetate is in decent shape, not played too much,  you'd be surprised how good the sound can be when played back on a good reproducing turntable, which the LOC has. Sundazed (or someone like it) has brought out a number of garage compilations where the only source materials were acetates, the bands are long gone, as are the tapes, and no records of those songs were ever pressed commercially.  The sound is a little hissy, but no worse than a hissy tape copy.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

Actually there's software out there called ClickRepair that does a pretty amazing job at reducing/eliminating surface noise.  I recorded a .wav of one of the "origiinal" files from the npr site above and then applied ClickRepair at its "Brass Default" setting (brass/horns can have a tendency to break up when NR is applied, so they have a separate setting for that to take that into account), and it sounded MUCH better than the IRENE version on the npr site, eliminating much more of the surface noise without adding any hiss.

It's not the cheapest software - it's $40 after a 21-day free trial - but it's been worth it to me as I have been or will be transferring several BB-related non-CD albums (Kathy Dalton, the Martin & Finley single, King Harvest's second album, some Charles Lloyd, the first two Celebration albums, Rocky Pamplin, etc.).

You can read more about it at http://wwwmaths.anu.edu.au/~briand/sound/software_download/clickrepair_info.html.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »

Thanks Jeff, I could use that one.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:56:29 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx