gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:41:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In regards to the Dennis and Mike relationship  (Read 12876 times)
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2009, 06:34:49 PM »

Denni,

I had never heard that Dennis had sex with Brian's wife. It might have happened; other people on the board know more than I do.

But Brian did have sex with his own wife's sister.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »

Evil
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:36:26 PM by DonnaK » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2009, 07:42:41 PM »

How do people know the details of the Beach Boys' personal lives with such certainty? 
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2009, 07:50:58 PM »

Too many!  They were far too public with their dirty laundry, (especially the Wilson's),
and if you were close with them, you couldn't avoid knowing more than you'd care to know.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

Ouch!  Ed, how about posting another one of your great photos.  I feel like it's traveling back in time to see some of your candid shots of the group.
Jason
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »

Apparently, Dennis wasn't the only one who went around with Marilyn, at least according to Rocky Pamplin. Rocky also claimed she was with Carl at one point.
dennyschild
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2009, 09:01:28 PM »

Well, really, let's be frank. Dennis was a man-whore. Seriously.

For Sure. Did he ever truly love anyone or everyone.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »

It's like they say....The family that plays together, stays together! Wink
dennyschild
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »

Apparently, Dennis wasn't the only one who went around with Marilyn, at least according to Rocky Pamplin. Rocky also claimed she was with Carl at one point.

OMG Shocked...Did they all swing.
dennyschild
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »

It's like they say....The family that plays together, stays together! Wink

A family affair.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »

What Jon says is absolutely true.  I got to witness some of the last real close days between these two, though, near the end days of 1968.  Sometime early in '69 an event occured, (over a woman), that would drive a permenant wedge between them.  Add the events of the next couple of years, (Dennis' involvement with The Family - followed by their arrests - his development as a singer/songwriter, and his getting cast in a movie), and I think Mike had a hard time excepting Dennis' emerengence.  Always thought that had something to do with why he thought Brian was worth saving, while Dennis...

And yet... after that Mike wrote some great lyrics for Dennis - "Sound Of Free", "Pacific Ocean Blues" and above all "Only With You". Go figure.

How much you want a bet that he would remember very well if they were hits? In fact, If POB the album went platinum, I am sure that Mike would start 'remembering' other songs that he came up with a comma or something and try to gain 50% credit for it. Then he would claim that his comma is what made the song so succesful.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »

Amen to that!
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2009, 11:06:46 PM »

Denni, quoting from memory here...

Dennis had a big heart. And if he loved someone he did it for the full 200%. As in everything he did in his life (and I also mean the positive aspects of his personality). If you're able to find books on Dennis (and there are several around, albeit often out of print) you'll read several examples on them. From his second wife, Barbara, it was often said that she was the best thing that ever happened in his life. But Dennis never had inner piece in his heart, there was always turmoil in his life. And it seemd he also enjoyed that fast life, at least from the outside it seemed so. And that contradiction must have slowly ruined him.

Again, based on from what I've read and seen.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2009, 12:56:28 AM »

How do people know the details of the Beach Boys' personal lives with such certainty? 

Brian stated that in a UK music magazine interview, out of the blue, oh, three-four years ago. I snorted tea all over the page.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2009, 12:58:10 AM »

I think if you had to point at one, it would be Barbara - most of his friends say she was the best thing that ever happened to him (with Harmony a close second).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2009, 08:58:33 AM »

I think if you had to point at one, it would be Barbara - most of his friends say she was the best thing that ever happened to him (with Harmony a close second).

Not Christine McVie?  Roll Eyes Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2009, 01:43:38 PM »

Not Christine McVie?  Roll Eyes Grin

Hey, they did supposedly write some beautiful music together. Weren't they even supposed to perform it live at one point, but couldn't get it together? I'm sure they were co-enablers at the very least. Sad

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2009, 02:53:58 PM »

How much you want a bet that he would remember very well if they were hits? In fact, If POB the album went platinum, I am sure that Mike would start 'remembering' other songs that he came up with a comma or something and try to gain 50% credit for it. Then he would claim that his comma is what made the song so succesful.

Wasn't the POB/Bambu release last year greeted by unanimous praise, not just by Dennis/BB fans, but by almost all music publications. I also remember it winning end-of-the-year awards in some polls for reissue of the year. I don't remember reading or hearing anything from Mike Love trying to get any recognition or credit for the songs he contributed lyrics to. Do you?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2009, 03:23:45 PM »

Denni,

I had never heard that Dennis had sex with Brian's wife. It might have happened; other people on the board know more than I do.
But Brian did have sex with his own wife's sister.

I remember reading that quote from Brian about Marilyn and Dennis. I think Marilyn has denied it. And for what it's worth, Brian is not always the most reliable source. But yeah, the affair between Brian and Marilyn's sister did happen. 
Wilsonista
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2009, 05:21:23 PM »

Wasn't the POB/Bambu release last year greeted by unanimous praise, not just by Dennis/BB fans, but by almost all music publications. I also remember it winning end-of-the-year awards in some polls for reissue of the year. I don't remember reading or hearing anything from Mike Love trying to get any recognition or credit for the songs he contributed lyrics to. Do you?

"Hey man, that hit 30 years too late. And how many records did it sell, huh? How does it compare to the platinum-selling smash that we recently had? You know, a little song called 'Kokomo' ? I don't even remember my dead cousin asking me to add my postive and positively groovy lyrical musings to his downer-inducing songs. J'ai Guru Dev!"
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »

I think that that's a little too dark for a laughing smiley after all. Great photo, though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 12:43:59 AM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx