gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:14:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Stamos: Love Him or Hate Him?  (Read 31734 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:14:05 PM »

There are lots of Mike Love haters (and a few staunch defenders). There are plenty of Brian Wilson lovers (and a few antagonists). We're not lacking those incessantly praising Dennis Wilson's syrup/genius. People love Blondie/Ricky/Flame stuff. And if I may speak entirely seriously and certainly without a hint of sarcasm, if I so much as think about Al Jardine I break out in hives and have vivid hallucinations about beating him up to "The Tijuana Jail" and "M.T.A."

So ... John Stamos. Not to over-simplify, but let's over-simplify. Love him or hate him, and why?

And if anyone cares to be slightly more nuanced than a Jerry Springer show, I'd be really curious to hear any insight into how he got connected to the band in the first place. I know his pre-Full House show included him trying out for a gig with them, so he was obviously connected at that point. Was it a matter of an increasingly successful and attractive actor-fan just wanting to meet them? Was he masterminding a cheesefest trample over Dennis's grave?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »

I wouldn't say I love him, but I like him - for two reasons. First, he is the biggest "celebrity" fan of The Beach Boys that I can think of. And he's been one for a long time, through many changes. He's given the band publicity and exposure and I appreciate that. Second, the guy can play. Oh, he's no virtuoso, but whether it's the drums, rhythym guitar, vocals, or just percussion, he gets the job done. I mean, he's not a liability. So, I hope he sticks around and continues to show up occasionally.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 07:29:52 PM »

Didn't I say we were looking to over-simplify? LOVE OR HATE!?

I'll (lie and) say this: I love him.

Because I can't possibly have anything against him. What, his biggest sin is taking a job in the band that most of us consider the (or at least a) favorite of all time? I won't fault him there.

Note, I'm not blaming him for "Forever." I'm going to blame the horrible, horrible times through which he came of age, and the musical climate of pop at the time. Ugh. Shudder.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 07:35:59 PM »

STAMOS = BEACH BOY BOOSTER SHOT

1000 Words , take a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpdehaan/3641850675/sizes/l/in/set-72157594372334773/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 07:38:20 PM »

Note, I'm not blaming him for "Forever."

You better not BLAME him! He should be given credit. For years, "Forever" was a dark horse, rarely mentioned in the same company as Brian's ballads, at least among casual BB fans. But, Stamos picked that song out and gave it exposure to millions of viewers/listeners who might not have found it - unless they bought the Surf's Up/Sunflower 2fer or the boxed set. And, the Summer In Paradise version isn't THAT bad; it's OK.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 07:48:17 PM »

Note, I'm not blaming him for "Forever."

You better not BLAME him! He should be given credit. For years, "Forever" was a dark horse, rarely mentioned in the same company as Brian's ballads, at least among casual BB fans. But, Stamos picked that song out and gave it exposure to millions of viewers/listeners who might not have found it - unless they bought the Surf's Up/Sunflower 2fer or the boxed set. And, the Summer In Paradise version isn't THAT bad; it's OK.

I agree Sheriff, I'm certainly glad that he brought that song and the Beach Boys back into public view in the early 90s.  It's difficult to hate a guy who got to live his dream and play drums with his favorite band. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 07:51:17 PM »

And, the Summer In Paradise version isn't THAT bad; it's OK.

I would have agreed with you up to this. That version is really bad.

Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »

Evolution :

Deja Vu band -  Habib, Philip Bardowell and John Stamos - Join Jan & Dean, join The Beach Boys........
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

And, the Summer In Paradise version isn't THAT bad; it's OK.

I would have agreed with you up to this. That version is really bad.

I know I'm never gonna change your mind because you hate the production, but I'm gonna defend it anyway....Somebody (Melcher? Stamos?) made the decision to turn it into a semi-power ballad. I can live with that, and the guitar work is pretty good. I think they intentionally tried to avoid simply copying Dennis' version, and amped it up a bit. Around that time, Chicago was very successful doing this, and I always felt the Beach Boys were trying their hand at it. Stamos' vocal is passable, the harmonies are fine, and Carl is magnificent. This isn't just another attempt to defend SIP; "Forever" isn't my favorite song on the album, but I can enjoy it. I think younger fans could, too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 08:06:37 PM »

I think younger fans could, too.

I don't know. Keep in mind, I'm of the age that those intended "younger fans" fell into. When was it, '91 or '92? I've have been 15 or so. Power ballads were THE thing for the previous four or five years (at least), no doubt about it. But I can't imagine having liked a power ballad from a bunch of old guys (remember, this is a 15-year-old talking), much less one that is being hawked on a TV show. I'd guess it was most successful among the really young: tween girls, maybe. And gods bless, I hope it worked. I hope there are right now a bunch of 26-year-old Dennis Wilson-loving women.

Wait, haven't there probably been a similar bunch of women each and every year since, oh, 1958 or so?  Wink Smokin

Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 08:08:34 PM »

The Great Carl Wilson
told me he was 100%
behind the remake of
Forever.

Gary Griffin had a big part
in it too......
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 08:13:09 PM »

I'm sure the great Carl Wilson was also 100% behind the release of his two solo albums, both of which are sh*t. I'd imagine he was after a hit with "Forever," which is nothing to be ashamed of. But it's worth keeping in mind.

Are you writing in verse, Outie? What's with the line breaks?

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »

I choose love

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 08:15:22 PM »

Now we're talking.

Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »

Just for You:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=57451
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

Who doesn't like a shirtless Stamos getting out of bed?

Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »

Speaking of bed, it's time to hit it.

11:41 EST

Sweet Dreams

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »

John Stamos can come to one of my parties anytime.... just as long as he sings Forever.  Rock! Seriously.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2009, 09:01:17 PM »

Can't stand him...

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »

Evolution :

Deja Vu band -  Habib, Philip Bardowell and John Stamos - Join Jan & Dean, join The Beach Boys........
What the hell am I doing there?! Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2009, 09:13:48 PM »

does nothing to enhance Beach Boy fandom at all, or add anything. They don't need a B- (at best) celebrity on stage. It just produces more cringe worthy moments. I am sure he's a talented musician and all and his version of Forever is fine, but he serves no purpose in the Beach Boys.
Wilsonista
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

There are lots of Mike Love haters (and a few staunch defenders). There are plenty of Brian Wilson lovers (and a few antagonists). We're not lacking those incessantly praising Dennis Wilson's syrup/genius. People love Blondie/Ricky/Flame stuff. And if I may speak entirely seriously and certainly without a hint of sarcasm, if I so much as think about Al Jardine I break out in hives and have vivid hallucinations about beating him up to "The Tijuana Jail" and "M.T.A."

So ... John Stamos. Not to over-simplify, but let's over-simplify. Love him or hate him, and why?

And if anyone cares to be slightly more nuanced than a Jerry Springer show, I'd be really curious to hear any insight into how he got connected to the band in the first place. I know his pre-Full House show included him trying out for a gig with them, so he was obviously connected at that point. Was it a matter of an increasingly successful and attractive actor-fan just wanting to meet them? Was he masterminding a cheesefest trample over Dennis's grave?

What's your beef with AL Jardine? OK, he's  not the greatest songwriter in the world, but as a singer, he's easily the most underrated member.
Wilsonista
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2009, 09:26:47 PM »

OK, I feel like I grew up with Stamos. My mom was a huge General Hospital fan and became a fan of JS ("Blackie" looked like my older brother). He's a fine actor (I actually enjoyed seeing him in the final seasons of ER).

Back in the 90's, I wasn't a fan of his remake of Forever (I have a near-fatal allergy to power ballads). I'm softened my stance, For what it was, it's OK and what it was is something made specifically for a TV show. Remember, this was Uncle Jesse's cover and had to sound like something the charcater would have done as opposed to how the actor would have done it. The Stamos/Full House version I really liked the the first one he did which was done for his character's wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fdFA4QSE2I

It's worth noting that when he performs the song with Mike and Bruce, they stay true to Dennis' arrangement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkW8fIrJmb0
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 09:29:10 PM by RobMac » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »

I would have to say HATE if I had to choose one. Full House and the 90s BBs was a gigantic cheese fest. I am sure that a lot of people that saw that have accociated the BBs with that and have hated them ever since.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

I'd say strongly dislike. I've noticed alot of people my age are only associating the Beach Boys with Full House, and because of that not taking them as seriously as they would, say, the Beatles or the Rolling Stones. I loved Full House, especially "Uncle Jesse", and I really loved the BBs. I knew them as two completely separate entities that happened to join forces (which at the time totally blew my apparently easily impressed mind), but I'm guessing many of my peers hadn't been so BB enlightened prior to seeing them on FH and just saw them as some older surfer dudes that sang with "Uncle Jesse" (& had a super cheesy lead singer). This unfortunately seems to be a presumption that has stuck with them. Strike 1 against Stamos Sad When I was younger all I knew about them was that I loved the music rather than stuff about individual members, and I definitely didn't know Forever was a BB song. So when I found out it was Dennis', how great he was, and how amazing the original was (I never liked Stamos' version) and that JS was filling in as drummer occasionally I was royally ticked at him. Strike 2 Angry And honestly, he's just way to friendly with Dr. Love (his words, not mine) for my liking. Strike 3. I'm becoming totally convinced that in real life he wants to be Dennis..........or Elvis Roll Eyes..............or the fat kid from Stand By Me LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx