gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 09:38:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indian Wisdom  (Read 6031 times)
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »

What's the deal with this song? I haven't seen much, if any discussion of it. Was it meant to end up on Smile?

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 12:00:08 PM »

It's not a song.  It's a quote from a Hallmark gift book (they used to make cutesy little books to be given like greeting cards).  The artwork including it got used as the back cover of Smiley Smile, with all the color sucked out of it.

I don't recall anyone ever talking about the Hallmark book in a BB thread ever.  I did find a copy at the (deceased) Book Castle in Burbank, and I have that page scanned in full color, if anyone is interested!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

It's not a song.  It's a quote from a Hallmark gift book (they used to make cutesy little books to be given like greeting cards).  The artwork including it got used as the back cover of Smiley Smile, with all the color sucked out of it.

I don't recall anyone ever talking about the Hallmark book in a BB thread ever.  I did find a copy at the (deceased) Book Castle in Burbank, and I have that page scanned in full color, if anyone is interested!

Please, do... then I can direct the next person who asks me about it to that page. As opposed to shouting at them, very loudly.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »

Didn't the rumor of this song title start in the Timothy White book? Or did it start somewhere else, and he just perpetuated it?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:19:53 PM »

Yeah, please scan  and post it.  I've never heard this story before, and the album does not have any credits for the front or back cover.  Do you know when this Hallmark book was released?  Does it have a copyright date?

On another note, who was Barry Turnbull, who, according to the back cover of the album, came up with the title Smiley Smile?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »

Didn't the rumor of this song title start in the Timothy White book? Or did it start somewhere else, and he just perpetuated it?

Said rumor was up and running long before Tim White came along - I recall it from at least 1975.

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 02:41:07 PM »

I don't have the whole book anymore, just the page.

But my recollection of the book was it had a nouveau psychedelic look to it, so I'm guessing it was contemporary--'66, '67.  It was filled with other, similar homilies.

I'll dig up the scan and post it this weekend!
DennisWilsonIsMyHero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers... Sad

I take it this subject has been beat to death already. The reason I was asking was because I came across it listed as the track title to an instrumental piece. I've never heard the piece before and have no idea what it was intended for.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live I will kill you. If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »

I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers... Sad

I take it this subject has been beat to death already. The reason I was asking was because I came across it listed as the track title to an instrumental piece. I've never heard the piece before and have no idea what it was intended for.

Does said intrumental piece feature a kinda plunky guitar/mandolin ?

Jason
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 12:41:38 AM »

That's most likely what he's referring to. Although I believe the instrument providing the "guitar solo" in the song is actually a bouzouki.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 01:17:22 AM »

Ah, right... well, the track in question is a Friends out-take, recorded 3/26/68 and logged as "New Song". I've also seen it referred to as a Smile track "Doves Of Peace".

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 10:07:49 AM »

isn't it on the Smile Project cdrom?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 07:47:55 PM »

Said rumor was up and running long before Tim White came along - I recall it from at least 1975.

I remember it was listed in Byron Preiss's book.  That was 1978, I believe.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 03:08:23 AM »

yeah, which is somewhat misleading.

Is Little Red Book from the Smile period too? Someone told me it was also from Friends

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 03:30:03 AM »

Is Little Red Book from the Smile period too? Someone told me it was also from Friends

Rumor was it was Brian's valentine's present to Marilyn, 2/14/67, but I'm most relaibly informed it's a Friends outtake. And yes, I must change the session date on 10452.  Roll Eyes

onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »

At long last, here's a scan--the upload box was full, so I had to finagle another way.

Here 'tis:

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 09:47:44 PM »

Grin

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 12:01:27 AM »

At long last, here's a scan--the upload box was full, so I had to finagle another way.

Great, thanks onkster.

And if anyone knows more about this gift book, please stand up!

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 12:54:09 AM »

Rumor was it was Brian's valentine's present to Marilyn, 2/14/67, but I'm most relaibly informed it's a Friends outtake. And yes, I must change the session date on 10452.  Roll Eyes

Thanks as always, Andrew  Grin

And that photo's great, onkster!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »

...As opposed to shouting at them, very loudly.  Grin

But that's the only thing that keeps you out of the pool halls!  LOL

When the last remaining shred of Beach Boys Disinformation is stamped out for good, we'll have to get Andrew into an after-school program or something. Idle hands, you know.

The Book Castle in Burbank...geez, do I remember that dusty, yellowed fire hazard.  I even remember the stand with the little Hallmark books up front, near the registers...Happiness Is A Warm Puppy, Second Edition (ninth printing) no dust jacket, as is, $1.19.

It was a big old musty and moldy warehouse with corner entrances, acres and acres of jettisoned and left-behind-forever books with a collective worth in the dozens of dollars.  At the next paper drive.  It always kind of reminded me of the airplane graveyard scene in "The Best Years Of Our Lives", except instead of thousands and thousands of scrapped bombers it was thousands and thousands of cover-stripped Judy Blume novels.  Shudder.

I spent hundreds of hours in there, searching, searching; never buying anything, until finally I had to have a lung removed.  I never made it all the way to the back.  I think from a certain point on it was just a matte painting.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 03:40:37 AM »

The Indian Wisdom quote - is it Native American or from India?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 04:03:02 AM »

Well I never....   Gobsmacked.

Learn something new every day on this board.

A million thanks Onskter.

“We live in divisive times.”
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 05:56:52 AM »

Me thinks, India.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 08:39:28 AM »

In fact, the Hallmark book from which Indian Wisdom is derived--is indeed from that Hallmark stand at the front of Book Castle.

Much amazing stuff was there--including a signed first edition of "Tropic of Cancer", just sitting in the racks for $20.  I was out of work at the time, but should have gone into hock to get it.  Regrets, regrets...

I always wonder if the Indian Wisdom thing was Brian's idea--following his pattern of lifting odd things from ordinary pop culture--or whether it was a graphic artist's idea.  I'm betting on the former.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 12:25:49 AM »

That is a really wonderful mid-'60s image and sentiment (even apart from its association with the album-that-wasn't) and a perfect embodiment of the Smile album aesthetic. Gives me goose bumps.  Do you know if those gift books had titles or any other individual identifying data? I would dearly love to find a copy. Huh
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:31:54 AM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx