gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:42:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indian Wisdom  (Read 6040 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 12:52:38 AM »

In fact, the Hallmark book from which Indian Wisdom is derived--is indeed from that Hallmark stand at the front of Book Castle.

Much amazing stuff was there--including a signed first edition of "Tropic of Cancer", just sitting in the racks for $20.  I was out of work at the time, but should have gone into hock to get it.  Regrets, regrets...

You know, I was trying so hard to think of any book in the house that came from there for sure, and all I could come up with is another Hallmark book from around the exact same time- Christmas Is Together Time (a "Peanuts" book).  I have it around here somewhere, so it came off that same shelf, probably around the same time. But I know I bought other stuff there. They probably did have some great stuff- awash in a sea of more depressing bad stuff in one place than anywhere else on earth.

Sorry folks, I just can't believe anyone else remembers that store.

I used to enjoy walking the dog down there at night and stopping to read the old newspaper they posted in the corner window every single day, from exactly fifty years to the day before, under a sign that said "Fifty Years Ago Today".  It was always loaded with war news, usually from the Pacific. And the (related) Hollywood store next door was great.

Trivia: did it become the Blockbuster store that the T-Rex attacks in "Jurassic Park 2"?  I watched them film that sequence. If not, it was within a couple doors at most.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 01:28:27 PM »

That's good stuff. Most of those places are already gone, of course, and the remaining ones hanging by a thread. Reminds me of the late, unlamented MacDonald's bookstore on Turk St. in S.F.'s tenderloin, which called itself, in sharp contrast to an overly gentrified local bookstore, "A Dirty, Poorly Lit Place For Books". LOL  RIP Cry
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:11:17 PM by mutedtrumpeterswan » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

Book Castle is now a beauticians' school.  Movie World is still a couple doors down, and is more overcrowded and moldy than ever--a lot of BC stuff wound up over there.  Book City--further down the block--is gone.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx