gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:51:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Beach Boys cover album ever?  (Read 4389 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2009, 05:54:05 AM »

Just came across this on iTunes, a release from 1996, according to the blurb:

Beach Boys Songs for Dancing, by the Klaus Hallen Tanz Orchester [sic].

Includes such classics as Slow Summer Dancing (I've never heard of this being covered before) and Kokomo.

There are sound clip samples too.

Enjoy!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 06:00:32 AM »

I have a strange favourite: 'Add Some Music' by Gary Usher (Poptones). Sugary? Yes. Muzaky? Yes. Good? I don't know. But late at night with a candle lit and a glass of wine it is strangely alluring.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:07:20 AM »

No, no Don... I'm in a relationship... I'm happy... I'm sorry... maybe if you'd offered Murray Wilson's Plumbers Tune I'd've been drawn in...  I'm sorry, sorry...

“We live in divisive times.”
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:21:31 AM »

"The California Project" by Papa Doo Run Run with the usual Telarc "no compression or limiting".  In the early days of CDs it was a very impressives sound. 

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:24:08 AM »

No, no Don... I'm in a relationship... I'm happy... I'm sorry... maybe if you'd offered Murray Wilson's Plumbers Tune I'd've been drawn in...  I'm sorry, sorry...

*scratches head, then throws in a last desperate attempt... his beloved copy of the tribute album by Austrian cartoonist Manfred Deix, on which 'California Girls' inexplicably has transmorphed into 'Tyroler Madel'...*

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

Micheal Parks' tribute album

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:02:32 AM »

Did I mention 'Caroline Now'? No, I didn't. So: 'Caroline Now'.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 10:07:07 AM »

I always loved the covers of Stevie and Go Away Boy on that album

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SG7
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 10:18:12 AM »

Smiling Pets. Quirky at best but love it.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:59:03 AM »

YES!!! SMiLiNG Pets is great!! Especially Dm3's cover of GV, which incorporates Tony Asher's original lyrics and a bunch of the sections of the song that Brian rejected. And how can you go wrong with a band called Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her covering "You Still Believe In Me" with a Japanese accent in broken English??!!! Cool Cool

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:02:36 AM »

YES!!! SMiLiNG Pets is great!! Especially Dm3's cover of GV, which incorporates Tony Asher's original lyrics and a bunch of the sections of the song that Brian rejected. And how can you go wrong with a band called Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her covering "You Still Believe In Me" with a Japanese accent in broken English??!!! Cool Cool

Is Olivia Tremor Control on there too?

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »

Scoff if you must, but I also enjoy MOST of the "Stars and Stripes" album.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 11:40:58 AM »

Yes!! They cover "Do You Like Worms?" and under the name The Ships, "Little Pad".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 11:51:23 AM »

Yes!! They cover "Do You Like Worms?" and under the name The Ships, "Little Pad".

Lurrvely... I must get that one. Is it still available?

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »

It was a Japanese-only release. I had to download it...for free.... Undecided

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »

The all-time best Beach Boys covers album has to be SMILEY" by the Japanese duo Toru & Kojima from ca 1997.  Wrong chords, chintzy instrumentation, and heavily-accented broken English "singing" of highly suspect pitch make this a camp classic.

You'll laugh.  You'll cry.  You'll cringe.  Often at the same time.  Smiley  But you'll be highly entertained.

Their version of "Please Let Me Wonder" is unbridled primitive genius!
SG7
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

The all-time best Beach Boys covers album has to be SMILEY" by the Japanese duo Toru & Kojima from ca 1997.  Wrong chords, chintzy instrumentation, and heavily-accented broken English "singing" of highly suspect pitch make this a camp classic.

You'll laugh.  You'll cry.  You'll cringe.  Often at the same time.  Smiley  But you'll be highly entertained.

Their version of "Please Let Me Wonder" is unbridled primitive genius!

I got that too. SOOOO funny!!
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »

The Surfsiders!
Come on folks , can you not recognize genius!

Cook pork throughly
JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 06:07:19 PM »

The Surfsiders!

Oh, THE SURFSIDERS SING THE BEACH BOYS HITS is an awesome album, with possibly the best version of "When I Grow Up" ever (imagine it being done by a fourth-rate Coasters tribute band that has no idea what the actual chords are).

But you really have to hear the Toru & Kojima.  Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 06:43:12 PM »

Just came across this on iTunes, a release from 1996, according to the blurb:

Beach Boys Songs for Dancing, by the Klaus Hallen Tanz Orchester [sic].

Includes such classics as Slow Summer Dancing (I've never heard of this being covered before) and Kokomo.

There are sound clip samples too.

Enjoy!
I've heard of something like this before. If it's what I'm thinking of, they did a lot of then-recently released songs, and Summer in Paradise was the most recent album.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 11:58:25 PM »

The Surfsiders!

Oh, THE SURFSIDERS SING THE BEACH BOYS HITS is an awesome album, with possibly the best version of "When I Grow Up" ever (imagine it being done by a fourth-rate Coasters tribute band that has no idea what the actual chords are).

But you really have to hear the Toru & Kojima.  Smiley

I know that Surfsiders LP. Tremendous stuff. On Little Honda, the lead singer sounds so scared that you'd imagine his undies are not clean at all anymore. And how they completely manage to ruin the intro of California Girls... that is pure deconstructive DaDa art to me.

JeffRetro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 07:46:27 AM »

I know that Surfsiders LP. Tremendous stuff. On Little Honda, the lead singer sounds so scared that you'd imagine his undies are not clean at all anymore. And how they completely manage to ruin the intro of California Girls... that is pure deconstructive DaDa art to me.

Deconstructive DaDa art; that's perfect!  But then the album is a budget release on the budget Design label using sub-budget musicians and singers playing arrangements that are chordally wrong vocally and iinstrumentally.  Considering all that, the recording quality is surprisingly good - and true stereo - so go figure.

There's still some question as to whether Lou Reed does some singing on "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Surfin'" though I believe the current thinking is leaning towards him NOT being on the album (He was involved with several other albums and singles on this and other budget labels prior to forming the Velvet Underground).
SG7
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:17 AM »

Deconstructive DaDa art; that's perfect!  But then the album is a budget release on the budget Design label using sub-budget musicians and singers playing arrangements that are chordally wrong vocally and iinstrumentally.  Considering all that, the recording quality is surprisingly good - and true stereo - so go figure.

There's still some question as to whether Lou Reed does some singing on "Little Deuce Coupe" and "Surfin'" though I believe the current thinking is leaning towards him NOT being on the album (He was involved with several other albums and singles on this and other budget labels prior to forming the Velvet Underground).

When I was still friends with Darian Sahanaja, he was totally convinced it was going to be worth so much $$ because Lou Reed was on it.  LOL LOL
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx