gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 02:54:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Capitol Re-Issues and Collections - The \  (Read 3650 times)
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »

After looking at all the PS re-releases got me to thinking. Isn't it intersting the way things have been repackaged and the "wrong" versions of songs were used (or what we would think of as wrong).

Examples:

The LP versions of Be True To Your School and Help Me Ronda. And the LP mix of Fun Fun Fun

The wrong version of WIBN. And the LP mix of Fun Fun Fun

The LP version of Be True To Your School.

The "wrong" version of WIBN. And the LP version of CottonFields. It's funny that the above two CD's were suppose to show off the new remasters. How's about using the version of WIBN that Mark found, goobers?

The original 1995 version had the LP mixes of Ronda, Be True To Your School and Fun Fun Fun. The engineer Mark Chalecki was trying to make a 1995 Endless Summer.

Any more anyone can think of?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:30:34 PM by petsite » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:29:09 AM »

I never liked how "Sounds Of Summer" had the LP version of "Rock And Roll Music".  The 45 version is WAY better.  I can see a lot of casual fans skipping that track because it just sounds like a bunch of noise with the background vocals up too loud.

On that same note, the LP versions of "It's OK" and "California Saga" were used on "The Warmth Of The Sun".  The CD didn't suffer as much from these differences, but the 45 versions would have been better.  I think I remember reading that they couldn't find good sources for the 45 version of "It's OK".  Does anyone remember that?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:48:24 AM »

I never liked how "Sounds Of Summer" had the LP version of "Rock And Roll Music".  The 45 version is WAY better.  I can see a lot of casual fans skipping that track because it just sounds like a bunch of noise with the background vocals up too loud.

On that same note, the LP versions of "It's OK" and "California Saga" were used on "The Warmth Of The Sun".  The CD didn't suffer as much from these differences, but the 45 versions would have been better.  I think I remember reading that they couldn't find good sources for the 45 version of "It's OK".  Does anyone remember that?

IIRC they used the 45 version of "It's OK" on "Greatest Hits, Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years" and that sounded just fine (to my ears anyway). How come they couldn't find it for "The Warmth of the Sun"?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:26:45 AM »

IIRC they used the 45 version of "It's OK" on "Greatest Hits, Vol. 3: Best of the Brother Years" and that sounded just fine (to my ears anyway). How come they couldn't find it for "The Warmth of the Sun"?
Yeah, they also used the 45 versions of the other 2 songs I mentioned on there.  Maybe they thought that the sound quality wasn't up to par with everything else on WOTS and SOS?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:38:54 AM »

The 45 mixs of RNR Music, It's Ok and California Saga were not used on SOS and WOTS because Mark and Alan like the LP versions better (sonic wise). Personal preferance. As for the missing 45 mix, it was RNR Music that Andrew Doe was told had been really beaten up. Alan said they only copies of that track now are eq'd copies.

Bob
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »

Yup - I was told by someone I won't embarrass by naming (during an official interview, so I have it on tape) that the 45 mixes of "Cal. Saga" and "R&RM" had deteriorated too much to be used on the 1993 box set.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 12:48:16 PM »

I always find it amusing that compilers will say (like Steve Hoffman) that they HAVE to use the stereo versions of tracks as that is what the regular buyers want. Yet they will use mono versions when it suits them (that they like a certain version). It all does come down to personal choices.

It kind of chaps my hide that after collecting BB's since 1973, I didn't know until 2003 that there were 3 different versions of Fun Fun Fun. There is the mono LP version, stereo LP version and the mono hit single with the organ mixed hotter in the bridge. Kind of didn't know because all the comps used the stereo or mono LP mix. Even MADE IN USA and GH Vol 1 in 1999 used the mono LP version.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 12:50:33 PM by petsite » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »

On the original Reprise CD releases....On Love You, "Honkin' Down The Highway" is missing the drum intro. On MIU, the wrong mixes of "Come Go With Me", "Peggy Sue", and "Winds Of Change" are used.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

IF I'm not mistaken the 'wrong' version of WIBN from Made in U.S.A. was the only version around, I could've sworn the master of Brian's original vocal was lost at the time. CAN someone confirm this?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:23:04 PM »

It was lost. But there were other tapes to use if they had looked. Aside from the NY copy of PS, why not pull the master of Sunshine Dream? The track in on there in mono. The really didnt want to take the time to look. Steve Hoffman said that Larry Walsh (who put that comp together) really didn't like the BB music so he just kinda slammed it together.

Here is one that gets me. THAT version of WIBN was used on a sampler CD promoting the new CDs in 1990, including the new PS! Ok, why not use that master. You have it. But no, they used the other master.

Bob
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:18:59 PM by petsite » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 09:50:30 PM »

It was lost. But there were other tapes to use if they had looked. Aside from the NY copy of PS, why not pull the master of Sunshine Dream? The track in on there in mono. The really didnt want to take the time to look. Steve Hoffman said that Larry Walsh (who put that comp together) really didn't like the BB music so he just kinda slammed it together.
Thanks, GREAT POST!

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 01:47:37 AM »

I remember reading something about this a long, long time ago, but I've forgotten: what is wrong with the version of WIBN on Made In USA?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »

It is a rough mix. Mike Love's voice is single tracked for the first line of the bridge, and he hits a clunker of a note as well. From what I am told, that version has been removed from the Cap vault to prevent it from being used again. If you have the Still Crusin CD or any of the others I listed above, you can hear that version of the track.

Another little tidbit of info on that version that always struct me as funny. It was used on the above CD's even after Mark had found and pieced together the correct version (pulling the NYC version and tacking a multi-track mixdown of the intro to do away with the hiss). However, in 1990, a 2 CD set called California Gold (pictured above - a great comp!) used the correct version of WIBN. So if a Canadian CEMA product had that version, couldn't CAP USA use the correct one? It took Mark and Alan coming in and finally saying "WAIT!" to finally get some action.

My only regret on the 40th aniversary CD of PS (that Mark used a 1987 digital safety copy of the original master on), is that it uses the remixed intro/NYC version of WIBN. Just use the NY tape and be done with it. When listening to this comp's version, you can so clearly hear the tonal differences between the two sections which make it sound kinda funny. I even gave a copy of this to a friend without tellig him about it. A few days later he said he was listening to it and said "The begining of WIBN sounds weird, like its from 2 different tapes". I told him it was. So I gave him a copy of the 1996 boxset mono version. That is the version he listens to now.

Bob

PS - Someone asked me what the track listing for the above comp is. Here it is (pick this puppy up off of ebay, there is always a copy there. GREAT SOUND quality). There is also (as always it seems) a Japanese version of this set which of course is a little more pricey.

THE BEACH BOYS - California Gold

Disc 1
1. Surfin' U.S.A.
2. Surfer Girl
3. little Deuce Coupe
4. In My Room
5. fun fun fun
6. The Warmth Of The Sun
7. Be True To Your School
8. I Get Around
9. Don't Worry Baby
10. All Summer long
11. Little Honda
12. Wendy
13. Girls On The Beach
14. Do You Wanna Dance
15. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
16. Dance Dance Dance
17. Then I Kissed Her
18. Help Me Rhonda
19. California Girls
20. The Little Girl I Once Knew

Disc 2

1. Barbara Ann
2. Sloop John B.
3. You're So Good To Me
4. God Only Knows
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice
6. You Still Believe In Me
7. Caroline No
8. Good Vibrations
9. Heroes And Villains
10. Wild Honey
11. Darlin'
12. Friends
13. Do It Again
14. I Can Hear Music
15. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
16. Cottonfields (The Cotton Song)
17. Breakaway
18. California Dreamin'
19. Kokomo
20. Still Cruisin'
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:59:32 PM by petsite » Logged
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 10:00:43 PM »

It is a rough mix. Mike Love's voice is single tracked for the first line of the bridge, and he hits a clunker of a note as well. From what I am told, that version has been removed from the Cap vault to prevent it from being used again. If you have the Still Crusin CD or any of the others I listed above, you can hear that version of the track.

Another little tidbit of info on that version that always struct me as funny. It was used on the above CD's even after Mark had found and pieced together the correct version (pulling the NYC version and tacking a multi-track mixdown of the intro to do away with the hiss). However, in 1990, a 2 CD set called California Gold (pictured above - a great comp!) used the correct version of WIBN. So if a Canadian CEMA product had that version, couldn't CAP USA use the correct one? It took Mark and Alan coming in and finally saying "WAIT!" to finally get some action.

My only regret on the 40th aniversary CD of PS (that Mark used a 1987 digital safety copy of the original master on), is that it uses the remixed intro/NYC version of WIBN. Just use the NY tape and be done with it. When listening to this comp's version, you can so clearly hear the tonal differences between the two sections which make it sound kinda funny. I even gave a copy of this to a friend without tellig him about it. A few days later he said he was listening to it and said "The begining of WIBN sounds weird, like its from 2 different tapes". I told him it was. So I gave him a copy of the 1996 boxset mono version. That is the version he listens to now.

Bob

PS - Someone asked me what the track listing for the above comp is. Here it is (pick this puppy up off of ebay, there is always a copy there. GREAT SOUND quality). There is also (as always it seems) a Japanese version of this set which of course is a little more pricey.

THE BEACH BOYS - California Gold

Disc 1
1. Surfin' U.S.A.
2. Surfer Girl
3. little Deuce Coupe
4. In My Room
5. fun fun fun
6. The Warmth Of The Sun
7. Be True To Your School
8. I Get Around
9. Don't Worry Baby
10. All Summer long
11. Little Honda
12. Wendy
13. Girls On The Beach
14. Do You Wanna Dance
15. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
16. Dance Dance Dance
17. Then I Kissed Her
18. Help Me Rhonda
19. California Girls
20. The Little Girl I Once Knew

Disc 2

1. Barbara Ann
2. Sloop John B.
3. You're So Good To Me
4. God Only Knows
5. Wouldn't It Be Nice
6. You Still Believe In Me
7. Caroline No
8. Good Vibrations
9. Heroes And Villains
10. Wild Honey
11. Darlin'
12. Friends
13. Do It Again
14. I Can Hear Music
15. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
16. Cottonfields (The Cotton Song)
17. Breakaway
18. California Dreamin'
19. Kokomo
20. Still Cruisin'
This is dedication...period Grin

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 10:15:39 PM »

Hey I am commited......or should be!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »

Hey I am commited......or should be!
Some follow up on the alternate mix of WIBN, I recently watched An American Band and that also has the alternate mix. So since Sunshine Dream was 82 and had, presumably, the regular right mix, than the master must have been lost in 1982-83, right?

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »

IIRC, all the mixes in "An American Band" were made from the multitracks because they didn't have the rights to use the final released mixes in the film.  Malcolm Leo's access to the tape vault is what made some suspect he was behind the SOT Series, a claim which has since been debunked.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:11 PM »

Listen to the mix of "TTGA" from "American Band" - it's effectively upside down, hence you can hear Mike's part predominating.

Further to the 'Leo Controversy', I think it's significant that the person who told me it was him behind the SOTs turned out to have highly questionable integrity.  Three guesses...  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »

Listen to the mix of "TTGA" from "American Band" - it's effectively upside down, hence you can hear Mike's part predominating.

Further to the 'Leo Controversy', I think it's significant that the person who told me it was him behind the SOTs turned out to have highly questionable integrity.  Three guesses...  Grin

Hmm... who could that possibly B.E. ??    Cheesy

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 10:56:10 AM »

Hmm... who could that possibly B.E. ??    Cheesy
haha that was good!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx