gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Getcha Back" falsetto  (Read 33403 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 02:18:52 PM »

Jeff's BB vocal credits, from his own website:

wipe out

Thought I read somewhere that BW and JF are the only BBs on the track....

Personally, I lean towards just BW...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 04:29:41 PM »

The falsetto on "Getcha Back" is Brian.  Not saying Jeff isn't in the mix too, but the main falsetto part is Brian.  I've been told Terry should've received a producer's credit for "coaching" Brian into nailing it.  But it's Brian for sure. 

Jeff's on "She Believes In Love Again", and to me it sounds like he's on the intro to "It's Gettin' Late".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:41:12 PM by c-man » Logged
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 04:47:29 PM »

Brian can still sing more than acceptable falsetto. When he wants to.

I don't know if anyone here saw BW at the Hollywood Bowl on the Pet Sounds tour in 2000, but I remember he brought out the falsetto big time on "Don't Talk".  When he got to the line of "and listen to my heartbeat", he sustained the note for at least as long as 1966 Brian on the actual album.  It was amazing....I got chills.  Apparently a lot of people in the audience did too because half the Hollywood Bowl crowd jumped to their feet and started applauding in the middle of the song!  At one time I owned the bootleg of that performance (light years better than the Pet Sounds Live album) and my memory was confirmed by that part of the CD.

I also saw BW open for Paul Simon at the Greek Theater in June, 2001.  The significance of that show was that Paul McCartney showed up with Heather Mills in the middle of "God Only Knows".  This was actually rather interesting because as soon as McCartney sat down, Brian "upped his game".  After  a very impressive Heroes and Villains, he sang Surf's Up in the original falsetto and without much help from Jeffrey Foskett.  It was very cool in a way, because you could see the 1960's rivalry between him and the Beatles was still there.  Too bad most of the Paul Simon crowd really didn't understand the significance of what they were seeing.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 05:14:53 PM »

Brian can still sing more than acceptable falsetto. When he wants to.

I don't know if anyone here saw BW at the Hollywood Bowl on the Pet Sounds tour in 2000, but I remember he brought out the falsetto big time on "Don't Talk".  When he got to the line of "and listen to my heartbeat", he sustained the note for at least as long as 1966 Brian on the actual album.  It was amazing....I got chills.  Apparently a lot of people in the audience did too because half the Hollywood Bowl crowd jumped to their feet and started applauding in the middle of the song!  At one time I owned the bootleg of that performance (light years better than the Pet Sounds Live album) and my memory was confirmed by that part of the CD.

I also saw BW open for Paul Simon at the Greek Theater in June, 2001.  The significance of that show was that Paul McCartney showed up with Heather Mills in the middle of "God Only Knows".  This was actually rather interesting because as soon as McCartney sat down, Brian "upped his game".  After  a very impressive Heroes and Villains, he sang Surf's Up in the original falsetto and without much help from Jeffrey Foskett.  It was very cool in a way, because you could see the 1960's rivalry between him and the Beatles was still there.  Too bad most of the Paul Simon crowd really didn't understand the significance of what they were seeing.

Very cool remembrances.. thank you
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »

To me, the falsetto on "Getcha Back" sounds like the older, cleaned-up-by-Landy Brian, which is why I've never questioned it being Brian.

Yeah, that's what I think. I also thought technology might've helped a little.

While I like the falsetto a lot, it doesn't sound like it was one of the hardest ones Brian's ever done; it's not like one of the early/mid 60's ones.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »

To me, the falsetto on "Getcha Back" sounds like the older, cleaned-up-by-Landy Brian, which is why I've never questioned it being Brian.

Yeah, that's what I think. I also thought technology might've helped a little.

While I like the falsetto a lot, it doesn't sound like it was one of the hardest ones Brian's ever done; it's not like one of the early/mid 60's ones.

No it definitely wasn't like one of his early falsetto parts, but it was definitely more than anybody who destroyed his voice should have been capable of.  It really is quite remarkable that Brian was able to rehabilitate his voice like that, given how awful it was not too long before.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »

It's Brian. He has talked about it. And he said he did it for his old friend Terry Melcher.

Jeff sang it on the July 4th concerts that year, and it sounds different. Different timber. Jeff is much stronger.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:42:30 PM by petsite » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 06:45:28 PM »

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about but a) it doesn't sound at all like a classic BW falsetto b) it doesn't sound like JF in classic BW style c) it may be JF shadowing BW - but to my ears it sounds and has always sounded like 80's Brian attempting a high falsetto.

Also I remember seeing on youtube a video of Brian at some private party in the early 90's singing Surfer Girl - - falsetto and all - - just by himself. So its not like Brian's voice had an expiration date and once it was past that he could no longer do it anymore.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:47:34 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »

Speaking of Brian's falsetto on the BB85 album, he sang in semi-falsetto (or whatever) on "I'm So Lonely".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about but a) it doesn't sound at all like a classic BW falsetto b) it doesn't sound like JF in classic BW style c) it may be JF shadowing BW - but to my ears it sounds and has always sounded like 80's Brian attempting a high falsetto.

Also I remember seeing on youtube a video of Brian at some private party in the early 90's singing Surfer Girl - - falsetto and all - - just by himself. So its not like Brian's voice had an expiration date and once it was past that he could no longer do it anymore.

No one ever said it sounds exactly like how he used to, but I do think it's a lot closer in tone to how he used to sound than anything 15BO to present day. Despite the song not being great (I do enjoy it for what it is, though), I got chills when I first heard it and thought that part was Brian.

I'm certainly not saying his falsetto these days sucks or that he's incapable, either. But consider how badly this guy damaged his voice over time, it was incredible that he was able to get that sound in 1985.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:52:28 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »

I remember reading somewhere that it was indeed Brian, and out of respect for Terry Melcher he busted his ass to get that vocal right.  So the difference in quality may just be a question of time, effort and interest for that particular track.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2009, 02:18:53 AM »

It sounds to me like the falsetto on Getcha Back is looped, as if he nailed it once, and they kept repeating it for the duration of the song.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2009, 03:07:13 AM »

It sounds to me like the falsetto on Getcha Back is looped, as if he nailed it once, and they kept repeating it for the duration of the song.

Bingo. My thoughts.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »

I had never noticed it before, but I think you are absolutely right.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »

It's Brian. He has talked about it. And he said he did it for his old friend Terry Melcher.

Jeff sang it on the July 4th concerts that year, and it sounds different. Different timber. Jeff is much stronger.
Exactly. If it had been Jeff, it would have sounded better.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »

I had never noticed it before, but I think you are absolutely right.

Oh I'd bet my bottom dollar on that.  With the technology available, there was no sense in making him do a part that repeated over and over multiple times.  It's done all the time.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2009, 10:04:48 AM »

Too bad most of the Paul Simon crowd really didn't understand the significance of what they were seeing.

I saw a show on that same tour:  Wilson/Simon.  I thought the same thing!  Everybody was talking and halfway "enjoying" that "beach boy guy"
but just totally oblivious to the fact they were seeing Mozart or Gershwin.  Paul Simon's okay...not my cup of tee...but seriously not in the same league...and I suspect history to play out that way.

But this was well before BWPS...so to hear Heroes and Surf's Up...BLEW ME AWAY.  People must have been confused watching me!  "What's that guy's problem...and what Beach Boy song is this?"   LOL

I was blown away!!!  Hearing those tracks live, and with all the muscle of big live band --- was amazing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:08:42 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »

Too bad most of the Paul Simon crowd really didn't understand the significance of what they were seeing.

I saw a show on that same tour:  Wilson/Simon.  I thought the same thing!  Everybody was talking and halfway "enjoying" that "beach boy guy"
but just totally oblivious to the fact they were seeing Mozart or Gershwin.  Paul Simon's okay...not my cup of tee...but seriously not in the same league...and I suspect history to play out that way.

You would suspect wrong.  Paul Simon is easily one of the best songwriters of all time.  And dare I say it, but unlike Brian Wilson, Paul Simon has been *consistently* good throughout his career (with the small exception of that The Capeman disaster). 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »

Yup. History will prove Brian Wilson, Lennon/McCartney, Bob Dylan, and Paul Simon as the greats of that era.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »

Yup. History will prove Brian Wilson, Lennon/McCartney, Bob Dylan, and Paul Simon as the greats of that era.

...and Heinz.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jcc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2009, 10:51:38 AM »

I did stay for the rest of the show.  The Paul Simon portion really wasn't that great.  All he seemed to play were mostly things from "Capeman", a couple of songs from "Rhythm of the Saints" (which I wasn't familiar with at the time) and 1-2 songs from "Graceland".   Mostly it just seemed like every song was another opportunity for Paul Simon to show off how "multicultural" he was by bringing out one world music backing group and set of instruments after another.  Frankly, I would have enjoyed seeing him just sit on a stool with an acoustic guitar and playing stuff from the 1960's and 1970's.    However, if I remember correctly, he played one song from the Simon&Garfunkel era and it wasn't very memorable.  Ironically, at the end of the show, Paul McCartney came on stage with a guitar and did a solo performance of "I've Just Seen A Face".  That brought down the house, and was better than the entire Paul Simon show before it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »

You would suspect wrong.  Paul Simon is easily one of the best songwriters of all time.  And dare I say it, but unlike Brian Wilson, Paul Simon has been *consistently* good throughout his career (with the small exception of that The Capeman disaster). 

But honestly, and this is just my view.

Paul never really reached the heights of something like Pet Sounds or SMilLE

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:20 AM »

"You would suspect wrong.  Paul Simon is easily one of the best songwriters of all time.  And dare I say it, but unlike Brian Wilson, Paul Simon has been *consistently* good throughout his career (with the small exception of that The Capeman disaster). " And You're the One.  Everything else, I love.  Much as I think BW has had an infinitely greater influence on pop/rock, I think Simon's always likely to get the praise, his songs and lyrics being rather more obvioulsy in the American songbook tradition and his leanings towards jazz certainly don't hurt! Hey, I prefer BW's stuff, but I do like Simon.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:15:35 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2009, 07:58:52 PM »

The Getcha Back falsetto has always sounded like Brian to me.  The fact that it is heavily reverbed and not very upfront were indications to me, when I first heard the song, that Brain could still do it, but that a fair amount of processing was needed to give it a more listenable as well as classic sound.

And, I'll also add that Getcha Back has been, since it's release 24 years ago (with the single being released in May, followed by the LP in June, and the CD in August), one of my favorite BB songs.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »

"You would suspect wrong.  Paul Simon is easily one of the best songwriters of all time.  And dare I say it, but unlike Brian Wilson, Paul Simon has been *consistently* good throughout his career (with the small exception of that The Capeman disaster). " And You're the One.  Everything else, I love.  Much as I think BW has had an infinitely greater influence on pop/rock, I think Simon's always likely to get the praise, his songs and lyrics being rather more obvioulsy in the American songbook tradition and his leanings towards jazz certainly don't hurt! Hey, I prefer BW's stuff, but I do like Simon.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to knock anyone for not liking Paul Simon.  As to who was more influential, that's all apples and oranges.  They BOTH were significant as American songwriters and they will be remembered for that.  And yeah, You're The One did kinda suck.  But his most recent studio album Surprise was excellent.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx