gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:55:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Getcha Back" falsetto  (Read 33445 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »

Is it Brian channeling his old self, albeit temporarily, or is it Jeffrey Foskett channeling Brian? I've heard both. Any official word? What do you hear?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:26 AM »

I guess it's Brian on a good day.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:45 AM »

Adrian Baker?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »

Good question.  I always assumed it was Brian, but now you have me thinking.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:29:40 AM »

Good question.  I always assumed it was Brian, but now you have me thinking.

I certainly hear Brian in: 'I Need Her, But You Need Him', but I doubt very much if the falsetto is him too. My bet is on some stand-in, hence Baker.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:48:37 AM »

Definitely not Baker - he was long gone by this time. I know Jeff has said it's him, but there's a certain Brianesque tone about it. To these ears, anyway. My best guess is it's Jeff shading Brian.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:51:33 AM »

I can hear Brian singing a lower part of the vocal arrangement. His voice clearly is all over the song.
Alex11
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »

Hi, there was a quote from Terry Melcher in one of McParlands Books, he said something like he's proud of Getcha Back  because it was the last time Brian sang falsetto on a record.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:35:39 AM »

Hi, there was a quote from Terry Melcher in one of McParlands Books, he said something like he's proud of Getcha Back  because it was the last time Brian sang falsetto on a record.

Cheers, but that strikes me as odd - as far as I know, Brian had shed his bad habits by then for years... if that were true, he could easily still have filled whole albums with that falsetto.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 06:00:28 AM »

This is from the Good Vibrations box liner notes:

"So the group, prodded by CBS, began work with then-hot (Culture Club) producer Steve Levine. The result, a 1985 release simply titled The Beach Boys, was an album that suffered from not-strong enough songwriting and overprogrammed production. Included on the box from that disk is “Getcha Back” (Billboard #26), a Mike Love/Terry Melcher collaboration. With a nice group intro and Brian singing up top where he belongs, it feels like a Beach Boys record."

Doesn't make it true, but that's what it says.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:08:26 AM »

If you listen to "Getcha Back" with headphones on, the falsetto sounds very much like Brian. Not 1965 Brian, but older Brian.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:03:37 AM »

If you listen to "Getcha Back" with headphones on, the falsetto sounds very much like Brian. Not 1965 Brian, but older Brian.

For the longest time I didn't believe it was Brian, but the closer I listened, I became convinced.  It's certainly processed, but Brian seemingly did channel his old voice on that one.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 07:12:07 AM »

"So the group, prodded by CBS, began work with then-hot (Culture Club) producer Steve Levine. The result, a 1985 release simply titled The Beach Boys, was an album that suffered from not-strong enough songwriting and overprogrammed production. Included on the box from that disk is “Getcha Back” (Billboard #26), a Mike Love/Terry Melcher collaboration. With a nice group intro and Brian singing up top where he belongs, it feels like a Beach Boys record."

Liner notes to one of the Brother 2fers say Brian didn't make the Dutch trip.  Grin

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 07:40:08 AM »

Liner notes to one of the Brother 2fers say Brian didn't make the Dutch trip.  Grin

(sigh) there's so much evil in the world, eh Andrew? Sad

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:38:58 AM »

To my ears it sounds like Jeff Foskett shadowing Brian.  I hear Brian in there somewhere, but the prominent voice sounds more like Fosky to me.   I hear BW quite a bit in the other background vocals and of course the "I'll leave her, and you'll leave him" bit on the fade.

On the other hand, BW was still doing falsettos into the late 80s, witness "Heavenly Bodies" from the Usher sessions

One of the great mysteries of the universe....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 09:10:02 AM »

To me, the falsetto on "Getcha Back" sounds like the older, cleaned-up-by-Landy Brian, which is why I've never questioned it being Brian.

Glenn
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »

Anyone who questions the idea of Brian being able to do falsetto should check out the solo performance he gave of Surfer Girl back in 1991 at somebody's party.  It used to be on youtube, but I'm having trouble finding it now.  Brian sings his original falsetto part, and sings it well.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 09:54:32 AM »

For that matter, check out "she says that she needs me" on Imagination from 13 years later. In optimal studio conditions, Brian could still do a decent falsetto. That said, "Getcha Back" is unique for how darned high it is -- and how peculiar BW sounds (if indeed it's Brian).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:52 AM »

Brian can still sing more than acceptable falsetto. When he wants to.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

I'm almost certain Jeff is doing it on this live version...and you can hear the difference between it and the studio (which I believe in my heart is Brian)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0lRlXq3tc

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 11:50:39 AM »

Brian can still sing more than acceptable falsetto. When he wants to.
He nails it on "Live Let Live" from TLOS. Granted, he'll probably never do it half as good on stage again, but it's there on wax.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 12:11:53 PM »

This came up a while back.  I thought I had read it was Foskett and I had become convinced it was.  I still think so.

But someone here , supposdly an authority, absoultely insisted it was Brian.

I also read they programmed the drums to have a Dennis sound.  So I assumed they were going all out for an authentic old school BB sound on that single, whatever it took.  And it sort of worked.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »

Is it Brian channeling his old self, albeit temporarily, or is it Jeffrey Foskett channeling Brian? I've heard both. Any official word? What do you hear?

Does Jeff Foskett have a credit on this album?  I've always read that it was Brian singing the high part. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 01:36:05 PM »

Jeff's BB vocal credits, from his own website:

The Beach Boys (1980-90)
kokomo
still cruisin
island girl
make it big
wipe out
in my car
somewhere near japan
rock and roll to the rescue
california dreamin'
problem child
lady lynda / lady liberty
chasin' the sky
east meets west
happy endings (w/little richard)
getcha back
good vibrations (Sunkist TV Commercial Version)

GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »

Jeff's BB vocal credits, from his own website:

wipe out

Thought I read somewhere that BW and JF are the only BBs on the track....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx