gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 04:04:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dennis Wilson EPK  (Read 2524 times)
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:10:28 PM »

Whoops!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:11:59 AM by Outie 315 » Logged
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:50:45 AM »

Whoops Copy & Paste into your browser:

http://www.music.com/video/Dennis Wilson/Dennis Wilson EPK/1618633090
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 02:06:07 AM »

There: http://www.music.com/video/Dennis Wilson/Dennis Wilson EPK/1618633090

Spaces in URLs are always weird.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 07:12:33 AM »

Required. Viewing.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:37:33 AM »

Listening They did an incredible job with the remastered POB by bringing Denny's voice up and giving it more body and clarity. That was a regret of mine about both POB and Bambu. Due to his voice, it tended to get lost a bit in the mixes. I cherish the remastered POB even more than the original LP and the first CD release of it I have.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »

Listening They did an incredible job with the remastered POB by bringing Denny's voice up and giving it more body and clarity. That was a regret of mine about both POB and Bambu. Due to his voice, it tended to get lost a bit in the mixes. I cherish the remastered POB even more than the original LP and the first CD release of it I have.

I've often spoken about, (and think I was quoted in Stebbins book mentioning), the various reasons that I think Dennis intentionally bunted with P.O.B., when he could have hit a home run - to use an analogy Dennis had used; (was that  referring to Smiley Smile coming out instead of SmiLe?)  He had already begun burying his vocals as he obsessively continued mixing & juggling track selections, before he turned over the mastering to Moffitt.  Moffitt's ear has been questioned here before, (in discussions comparing BB albums that he mixed/mastered, to remastered ones), however, it can't be overlooked that he kind of 'had it in' for Dennis by the time of the mastering of POB.  When I first heard the test pressing, I wanted to cry.  I think I did cry when Dennis approved it! 
There are those who have heard some of his early mixes I have on cassettes, and they have heard tracks that sound much closer to the way Hanlon brought both albums back to life.  Such a tragedy that Dennis lacked the confidence to really go for it back that.  It begs the question, "What if...?"

By the way, regarding the EPK, I was so disappointed that Sony didn't want to spring for transferring my outtakes from the "River Song" promo, to use in the EPK.  Instead, they choose to repeat scenes from the often seen promo video, which includes his little rock star speech on the beach.  (Honestly, I can't believe that I let these film originals sit on the shelf, unseen even by me, for over 30 years!)  Thank heavens the BBC wasn't so short sighted when they were putting together the upcoming documentary on Dennis. Granted, they only 'advanced' me the money to do an archival restoration of the various audio &  film elements, but bless them for it!  And, while you'll still only see a small part of what's been uncovered, there will be more to come...  (There are some priceless moments of him on the beach; we did about a dozen takes, starting with him wearing the sweater before he ties it around his shoulders, until we were happy, and that is the take I used.  But there are some really funny flubs I'd totally forgotten about.)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »

[koff] "Bunt instead of a grand slam" was Carl's phrase...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »

Ed, I think the Denny flubs might be comforting to see. Humor softens the pain of losing him. Once the documentary is released here in the states, I want to buy it. I already snapped up the one Billy Hinche made about Denny. Which I personally think more talk with Dean might have been great. I know Dean would have some very funny stories to tell.
Jason
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:57:05 AM »

Ed, was there a period in '78 or so when Dennis did a complete overhaul on the POB mix that was eventually left unissued? I know that he had work mixes from the sessions, but that would be interesting if he had both work mixes and then finally a complete remix a year after the album dropped.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

If anybody should have worked with Brian on finishing SMiLE, it should have been Dennis....
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 06:14:10 PM »

think if Dennis and Brian worked on smile during the 'Love You' era...all the synths and gruff voices, woulda been really strange.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Outie 315
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:23:33 PM »

FIG PLUCKER
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx