gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Greetings Smilers  (Read 4223 times)
The Fireman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »

Hi everybody!

I just came across this board so I thought I'd register and introduce myself, if its okay with you all I'd like to chime in on some of the discussions and at some point ask a few questions of my own(I could think of a milion).l

I'm almost too embarrassed to admit how new I am to BB, if you had come to me a year or two ago and told me that I should be listening to The Beach Boys I would have thought you were crazy, I'm normally into underground music but there seems to have been a point in the 60's where bands like BB or The Beatles were at the top of the mainstream AND underground at the same time.... what fun times those must have been. I especially like the SMiLE era stuff.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »

So we have a Bicyclerider, and now a Bicycle Rider. I look forward to the who's who hijinks.

Welcome aboard. What sort of music do you regularly listen to other than the BBs? (You mention "underground.") I can say that when I became a fan in the mid/late 90s as a 20 to 22-year-old, it was like that for me, too. It didn't take long to go from HATING and mocking the Beach Boys to liking Brian Wilson but despising the rest of it to liking all the Wilsons but not the others to just admitting there's plenty of cool stuff there in all the eras.

Well, not the 80s.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
The Fireman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:53:58 AM »

I think I'll just change my name if I can, to avoid any hijinks. I actually tried to check to see if the name was taken but you have to be registered to view the member list... oh well, no big deal.

Glad to be aboard, thanks for having me Smiley

To answer your question Luther ,I started listening to industrial music and stuff like that in my teens and I moved on to various types of experimental music. I like any kind of music that has a strong psychedelic effect to it, so it was only a matter of time before I came to the 60's where that stuff began, but since Brian Wilson only made the psychedelic stuff for a short period I just never thought to listen to BB until I read all about how influenced the Beatles were by Wilson's material at that time and then it all just fell into place from there. In all my years of music listening, I have never absorbed so much information about any band in such a short time. Thanks to the internet in a period of just about two months I've read every bit of info available on BB, rented all the DVD's available and picked up all their main albums as well as some of BW's solo releases. I feel like I'm a BB expert even though I only know a fraction of what everybody around here must know about them.

I'm probably going along a similar path as you Luther... right now I'm all about the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era stuff but every thing Ive heard so far aside from that era sounds cool too. Given time, I'm sure all of the BB era's would grow on just about anybody.

Anyway I look forward to trying to become a regular around here.

Cheers everybody!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »

I think I'll just change my name if I can, to avoid any hijinks. I actually tried to check to see if the name was taken but you have to be registered to view the member list... oh well, no big deal.

Glad to be aboard, thanks for having me Smiley

To answer your question Luther ,I started listening to industrial music and stuff like that in my teens and I moved on to various types of experimental music. I like any kind of music that has a strong psychedelic effect to it, so it was only a matter of time before I came to the 60's where that stuff began, but since Brian Wilson only made the psychedelic stuff for a short period I just never thought to listen to BB until I read all about how influenced the Beatles were by Wilson's material at that time and then it all just fell into place from there. In all my years of music listening, I have never absorbed so much information about any band in such a short time. Thanks to the internet in a period of just about two months I've read every bit of info available on BB, rented all the DVD's available and picked up all their main albums as well as some of BW's solo releases. I feel like I'm a BB expert even though I only know a fraction of what everybody around here must know about them.

I'm probably going along a similar path as you Luther... right now I'm all about the Pet Sounds/SMiLE era stuff but every thing Ive heard so far aside from that era sounds cool too. Given time, I'm sure all of the BB era's would grow on just about anybody.

Anyway I look forward to trying to become a regular around here.

Cheers everybody!

Welcome!! I'd highly reccomend you check out the BBs early 70s albums, especially Sunflower, Holland, and In Concert. You won't be disappointed!!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Fireman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »

Welcome!! I'd highly reccomend you check out the BBs early 70s albums, especially Sunflower, Holland, and In Concert. You won't be disappointed!!

Thanks for the recommendations Alex, I actually have all the albums you mentioned except "In Concert" I'll have to check that one out, The BB were a great live band.

The 70's BB albums sound pretty good to me, I especially like the songs that have synthesizer parts.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx