gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:30:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Bruce do on Smiley Smile?  (Read 16859 times)
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »

I doubt Bruce would say anything bad about Doris Day, anyway..

I take it that you consider Bruces remark a compliment to Doris Day?

Sure. IF the idea behind the remark was meant to be flattering to the Beach Boys (which is was not), then yes, comparing the Beach Boys (success and talent) to Doris Day's (success and talent) would not be anything bad.

But it wasn't meant to be flattering, so I don't understand why you'd say that.

The implication in the 'Doris Day' comment by Bruce is that there is something lacking or undesirable about Doris Day that allows an unfavorable comparison. No amount of back pedaling with 'context' or 'intent' can change that.

Let's be generous and say that Bruces statement was an unwitting insult to Doris Day and an uncalled for comment about the Beach Boys. He should leave that kind of crap to musicologists and sociologists.
You do know that Terry Melcher was Doris Day's son, right? The two sang together as Bruce & Terry and the Rip Chords. That Terry produced The Beach Boys long after that quote was attributed to Bruce. Believe me, Doris Day knows her fan base and they were not the kids of the late sixties. You are taking all this stuff way too much to heart. It was a joke, son, as Foghorn Leghorn would say. Wink

Of course I knew that. Why, otherwise, would I have even mentioned Terry?
Alright then. If Doris and everyone's OK with it...then I'll concede.
But I still think Bruce needs some decent trousers..and to ease back a bit with the trained seal clapping. That's something I'd expect from 'The Wiggles'.  Smokin

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »

Sh*t.  The guy conceded.  Now what do we do?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2012, 05:21:01 PM »

I doubt Bruce would say anything bad about Doris Day, anyway..

I take it that you consider Bruces remark a compliment to Doris Day?

Sure. IF the idea behind the remark was meant to be flattering to the Beach Boys (which is was not), then yes, comparing the Beach Boys (success and talent) to Doris Day's (success and talent) would not be anything bad.

But it wasn't meant to be flattering, so I don't understand why you'd say that.

The implication in the 'Doris Day' comment by Bruce is that there is something lacking or undesirable about Doris Day that allows an unfavorable comparison. No amount of back pedaling with 'context' or 'intent' can change that.

Let's be generous and say that Bruces statement was an unwitting insult to Doris Day and an uncalled for comment about the Beach Boys. He should leave that kind of crap to musicologists and sociologists.
You do know that Terry Melcher was Doris Day's son, right? The two sang together as Bruce & Terry and the Rip Chords. That Terry produced The Beach Boys long after that quote was attributed to Bruce. Believe me, Doris Day knows her fan base and they were not the kids of the late sixties. You are taking all this stuff way too much to heart. It was a joke, son, as Foghorn Leghorn would say. Wink

Of course I knew that. Why, otherwise, would I have even mentioned Terry?
Alright then. If Doris and everyone's OK with it...then I'll concede.
But I still think Bruce needs some decent trousers..and to ease back a bit with the trained seal clapping. That's something I'd expect from 'The Wiggles'.  Smokin
He isn't changing. So, all I can tell you is don't go, don't watch, and don't listen. He has been dressing that way since he rejoined the band in the late 70s. Accept it, he ain't changin' and if nothing else, the man is consistent in his attire.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2012, 05:22:10 PM »

LOL

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2012, 05:36:59 PM »

Bruce more often than not seems to be praising the genius of Mike Love. Is he trying to keeep the Loverster happy?

First, Mike deserves to get praised for his great work with the band.
I first saw this radical praising of everything Mike does (even stuff that's not worth to be mentioned) when Brian was goin' 'round telling everybody that his new band is so much better than the Beach Boys and Mike and Bruce were not happy with that. IIRC Bruce posted that he still has all the respect for Brian but was very displeased with those statements. And from there on it really became enormous with his praise of Mike. At least that's how I remember it and of course all of that could have nothing to do with it.

Good point Rocker. Now that I recall, it was probably good of Bruce to defend The Beach Boys. Brian, at the time would seem to constantly being saying how much better his new band was. Still, I can't help thing that Bruce is a arse kisser to Mike, who gives him the best job in the world (standing on stage clapping, adjusting the mic......)
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2012, 05:44:02 PM »

LOL

Cheesy That is good. I like that.

But as far as what Bruce did on Smiley Smile?

I've never heard him on that record. I'm sure wherever he is on it, I don't want to know.

Suppose by now, you've concluded that I don't put much Beach Boy stock in Mr. Bruce Johnston and there's a reason for that.

He's an MOR guy. He don't ROCK. The best thing he ever did was 'Hey Little Cobra', and 'Gone'.

If he was to reprise that kind of energy with the Beach Boys, he'd be Ok by me.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »

Show some respect for the band you're lucky enough to be in.

This I totally agree with. I do feel that he pays lip service to "how great Brian is" and blah blah blah, but overall he seems to give off the vibe that he thinks The Beach Boys are hopelessly uncool and somewhat unserious music, and I don't really agree with that.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:19 PM »

This I totally agree with. I do feel that he pays lip service to "how great Brian is" and blah blah blah, but overall he seems to give off the vibe that he thinks The Beach Boys are hopelessly uncool and somewhat unserious music, and I don't really agree with that.
Many people here also agree that they are uncool. So uncool that they are now hip. I have been a fan since 1964 and I can't figure what they are after 48 years. Maybe Bruce is just as confused as I am. I have found out over the years that being hip or unhip within each new generation can cause a severe identity crisis. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »

Many people here also agree that they are uncool. So uncool that they are now hip. I have been a fan since 1964 and I can't figure what they are after 48 years. Maybe Bruce is just as confused as I am. I have found out over the years that being hip or unhip within each new generation can cause a severe identity crisis. Wink

They've always been cool. Cooler than hip, actually, ultra cool.

Why would anyone who thinks they are uncool even want to be here, let alone 'claim' to be a fan?

I'm sure there are members here who are associated with or have personal connection to the Beach Boys in some way or another. Those people, perhaps have good reasons for their opinions, and feel they have a need to be here, even if they can't stand the uncoolness.

Hipness don't count for beans in my world. I'm here for the music and the history.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:50 PM »

All of us are here for those same reasons. Bruce's Doris Day comment was not directed to the likes of us. It was towards those who did not listen them, mostly because of their name. They were considered irrelevent due to their name, imagine that? I met a 66 year old guy today and he knew about the new album and reaching 3 on the charts. Claimed he was a big Beach Boys fan. When I mentioned Saturday's show and that they did Marcella, California Saga, All This Is That, the guy looked at me like I was talking jibberish. Some big fan! I'm pretty sure by the late 60s he thought they were surfin' Doris Day's, as well.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:25:08 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »

I always thought that the Doris Day comment was in the wake of Do It Again. Which Bruce stated he didn't like at the time. I read that somewhere. But after 4 albums of doing non surf/car music that became less and less successful, then getting their biggest hit in over a year with a surf song certainly makes sense in that context. Although, is there a date to that quote?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

Surfin' Round the World actually did rock, in a big way.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »

I've never been able to hear Bruce singing on FRIENDS. Moreover, he is entirely absent from the songwriting credits on that album.
Bruce has no writing credits prior to 20/20. I would imagine that he is on Friends, as it would have been tough recording with Mike being missing during much of that time.
didn't he help co-write: "Good Lord, How She Boogled It"?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »

Yeah, it's funny. You didn't hear Bruce on Smiley Smile but you heard him a little bit on Wild Honey, and a tiny bit on Friends but a little more on 20/20. 

Come to think of it, you didn't hear him much on Pet Sounds (with exception to the God Only Knows tag) or SMiLE either.

Bruce's heyday was the albums released from 1969 - 1971. Then I think he was on one of the songs on C&TP. Then when did he come back again, for L.A. Light in '79 and then one album in '80, then '85? 

Wow. For most of the 70's, Bruce wasn't on a Beach Boys record!
Bruce is quite evident on backing vocals for TSS Wonderful....and I've read on the BBB that it's his favorite Smile tune...go figure those interactions are prolly why.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »

I've never been able to hear Bruce singing on FRIENDS. Moreover, he is entirely absent from the songwriting credits on that album.
Bruce has no writing credits prior to 20/20. I would imagine that he is on Friends, as it would have been tough recording with Mike being missing during much of that time.
didn't he help co-write: "Good Lord, How She Boogled It"?

Yeah, he's the one who came up with the word "Boogle", which was the scary version of the popular word game Boggle.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »

Remember, Bruce is the one that didn't wanna be an old man & touring the greatest hits.....that's flip flop if you ask me....with where he is in Beach Boy Camp (Camp Love)...btw...is Steve Love on this tour to enforce Brian's participation?  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:39 PM »

Yeah, it's funny. You didn't hear Bruce on Smiley Smile but you heard him a little bit on Wild Honey, and a tiny bit on Friends but a little more on 20/20. 

Come to think of it, you didn't hear him much on Pet Sounds (with exception to the God Only Knows tag) or SMiLE either.

Bruce's heyday was the albums released from 1969 - 1971. Then I think he was on one of the songs on C&TP. Then when did he come back again, for L.A. Light in '79 and then one album in '80, then '85? 

Wow. For most of the 70's, Bruce wasn't on a Beach Boys record!
Bruce is quite evident on backing vocals for TSS Wonderful....and I've read on the BBB that it's his favorite Smile tune...go figure those interactions are prolly why.
Good point....and what is Bruce's favorite Beach Boys album, as mentioned in the EH documentary? Sunflower. On which BB album does he have the largest presence? Well, I really like Sunflower too. I'm not sayin'...just sayin'....
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:09 AM »

We're kinda missing the point a bit here. A flippant comment regarding the BB's supoosed lack of cool several decades ago is neither here nor there. Bruce saying one thing in one interview then changing his mind in the next - that's relevant to this conversation, especially when it involves him being negative about great songs and fellow band members.

Oh, and agreed - Bruce really needs to prise his head out from between Mike's bum cheeks. Perhaps his love of Love is behind his Dennis dismissal(s)....
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2012, 01:36:23 AM »

It seems like once Mike got his head "straight" with TM in '68, it became a big boost for Al and Bruce. They became Mike's clean-cut buddies, and I think that really changed the dynamic of the BBs.

Before TM, Mike claims he was abusing pot and alcohol. There is the story, for example, of Mike & Brian writing "She's Goin' Bald" while they were stoned and watching a movie one night. I imagine Brian was having a lot of fun, getting really stoned with the Boys, recording in his home, and having  complete artistic freedom. Even Al probably toked up a few times.

Though Smiley Smile bombed, Brian had to know he was releasing a strange record. With Wild Honey, he took a more direct, commercial direction and scored a top 40 and top 20 hit. Sure, it didn't equal the success of albums like Today! or Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), but it had to be reassuring just to at least get back on the charts. Brian gets ambitious again, bringing in old session players for Friends tracks, improving the production quality, and writing odes to love, peace, and harmony.

However, sometime during all this, Mike comes back from India a new man and everything changes.

Scene: Mike drives over to Brian's spacious new mansion to write a song and talk about his experiences in India. Brian pulls out some hashish and a pipe.

Brian: "Hey Mike, wanna smoke grass? I've got some really good stuff from up north, man."
Mike: "Naw, sorry Brian. It's just ever since I went to India and met the Maharishi with the Beatles, I've been on this transcendental meditation kick and it's been way better for me than any high. You should try it."
Brian: "Transcendental meditation? Yeah, I'll have to try that some day." [Brian lights his pipe] "Hey, what was it like meeting the Beatles?"

Scene: Al is in Brian's living room listening to some new tracks with Carl. Brian pulls out some hashish and a pipe.
Al: "This is great, Brian."
Carl: "Really groovy."
Brian: "Hey Al, wanna smoke some grass? This stuff I just bought is really groovy, a really good, clean head high. You'll like it. It doesn't make me feel all tired like some stuff does." [Brian exhales a huge puff of smoke and laughs.]
Al: "Gee, Brian... I'd like to, it's just... I've been trying to take a break from that stuff. Y'know, clear my head."
Brian: "OK. Cool. I can respect that. Carl?"

A few months later, Friends bombs. There's trouble in paradise again. At subsequent recording sessions, you have the Wilsons in one corner, getting high, and Mike, Al, and Bruce in the other corner, tolerating what's going on but clearly not participating. Soon, Mike is wondering aloud what it might be like if the band took different directions, perhaps writing a retro surf song or relatable love songs, getting away from the strange "day in the life" songs and spacey instrumentals. Al and Bruce like the idea. Carl thinks it might be worth a try - maybe.

And soon enough, Brian stops showing up to the sessions...

This sounds plausible, might just have gone down this way.  Fun read Dada!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
MBE
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:20 AM »

I remember he was asked how often he plays Beach Boys music and he replied "Why would I have that sh*t at home". In the same interview he was calling Brian brilliant. WEIRD!

Bruce again does have talent, but nothing he's done since Disney Girls has impressed me in the least. Maybe some back up singing since then but otherwise nada.
I can't even compare him to Mike. Love has contributed a lot more to the Beach Boys in a positive way (and to be fair negitive as well). Bruce has always praised Mike as a writer. I just saw a 1980 clip where he says Brian and Mike wrote all the best songs. So much for Mike's credits being only down to the lawsuits, though I'm sure the majority of us know that already. Still how can Bruce seem so dense and yet obviously know music? I do have to agree that he was the only one who didn't seem too hip by 1968 or so. The others had an unfair labeling but Bruce seems to have regressed to MOR around then. Why I don't know. He did cut some very credible rock and roll things from 1963-66 and except for the long piano outro on Tears I do like his 1970-71 contributions. Yet he didn't rock at all in his writing as a Beach Boy bar HSBITM.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2012, 07:00:48 AM »

I remember he was asked how often he plays Beach Boys music and he replied "Why would I have that sh*t at home". In the same interview he was calling Brian brilliant. WEIRD!

Not so weird. I remember the interview you're referring to (in Uncut in 1998) and the comment there was in reply to a question that wasn't repeated in the article verbatim, but was rather paraphrased, about if he owned copies of all the albums.

Depending on how the question was phrased (for example he could have been asked "do you have the albums the band made before you came back, like 15 Big Ones and MIU?") it could have been a perfectly reasonable response...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2012, 07:27:52 AM »

Remember, Bruce is the one that didn't wanna be an old man & touring the greatest hits.....that's flip flop if you ask me....

The other quote that I keep remembering (and was posted on the BBB Board which somewhat disappointed fans at the time) was when Bruce said a couple of years ago that he wasn't interested in a Beach Boys reunion, and if there ever was one, he'd sit in the audience about 10 rows back from the stage and watch (or whatever it was).

Sure, Bruce. After all the money you've made this tour, care to elaborate?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2012, 07:37:34 AM »

People say a lot of dumb stuff when they are young (take here, for instance), but realize when they are older that they still have more to contribute, more than they thought they would when they were young or in mid-life. I will say that Bruce's comments on a reunion was a bit strange. I am assuming with the state of things back then between Brian & Mike's comments, along with suite against Al, that back then the reunion was almost an impossibility. He'd be so amazed if it happened that he would sit the audience amazed, along with all of us.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:08 AM »

To somewhat contradict my own statement above, even as far back as 2004-2005, I knew inside that the reunion and an album would happen. I  was a year off, but I knew it would happen. Jason (TheRealBeachBoy) will back me up on what I'm saying, as we had many discussions about this through the years. Funny, Bruce couldn't see it coming, though.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:17 AM »

Bruce again does have talent, but nothing he's done since Disney Girls has impressed me in the least. Maybe some back up singing since then but otherwise nada.
I can't even compare him to Mike. Love has contributed a lot more to the Beach Boys in a positive way (and to be fair negitive as well). Bruce has always praised Mike as a writer. I just saw a 1980 clip where he says Brian and Mike wrote all the best songs. So much for Mike's credits being only down to the lawsuits, though I'm sure the majority of us know that already. Still how can Bruce seem so dense and yet obviously know music? I do have to agree that he was the only one who didn't seem too hip by 1968 or so. The others had an unfair labeling but Bruce seems to have regressed to MOR around then. Why I don't know. He did cut some very credible rock and roll things from 1963-66 and except for the long piano outro on Tears I do like his 1970-71 contributions. Yet he didn't rock at all in his writing as a Beach Boy bar HSBITM.

I got to say, Mike, that your comments on Bruce over the last week have really been eye opening. Thanks for your valuable insights.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx