gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:21:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What did Bruce do on Smiley Smile?  (Read 16866 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2012, 08:28:58 AM »

Having said that, i would now like retract my apology having just watched Bruce talking about the Friends album. Is he getting confused with MIU or something? ''Not a bunch of great songs''? ''I'm surprised it even got to 126. 1026 maybe...''? And then he sneers about Little Bird - a song which is way better than anything he's ever contributed to the catalogue.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »

Little Bird - a song which is way better than anything he's ever contributed to the catalogue.
Word.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2012, 08:50:04 AM »

Yeah, it's funny. You didn't hear Bruce on Smiley Smile but you heard him a little bit on Wild Honey, and a tiny bit on Friends but a little more on 20/20. 

Come to think of it, you didn't hear him much on Pet Sounds (with exception to the God Only Knows tag) or SMiLE either.

Bruce's heyday was the albums released from 1969 - 1971. Then I think he was on one of the songs on C&TP. Then when did he come back again, for L.A. Light in '79 and then one album in '80, then '85? 

Wow. For most of the 70's, Bruce wasn't on a Beach Boys record!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »

Bruce is probably on "Susie Cincinnati" on 15 Big Ones and is definitely on "I'll Be He's Nice" on Love You.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »

And then he sneers about Little Bird - a song which is way better than anything he's ever contributed to the catalogue.

I recall reading Bruce being asked about plans to reissue Pacific Ocean Blue, and he said he didn't care, didn't like it, he preferred Carl Wilson's solo albums, and that POB wasn't commercial and a reissue wouldn't sell (!). So clearly he doesn't rate Dennis all that highly. Funnily enough though, I also remember an interview with him from 1970 in I think the NME or Melody Maker (it's probably scanned on this site somewhere) where he's asked if he has any solo plans, and he says a Dennis Wilson solo album would be more commercial than anything he might be able to do.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:53:16 AM by William Bowe » Logged
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »

And then he sneers about Little Bird - a song which is way better than anything he's ever contributed to the catalogue.

I recall reading Bruce being asked about plans to reissue Pacific Ocean Blue, and he said he didn't care, didn't like it, he preferred Carl Wilson's solo albums, and that POB wasn't commercial and a reissue wouldn't sell (!). So clearly he doesn't rate Dennis very highly. Funnily enough though, I also remember an interview with him from 1970 in I think the NME or Melody Maker (it's probably scanned on this site somewhere) where he's asked if he has any solo plans, and he says a Dennis Wilson solo album would be more commercial than anything he might be able to do.

I'm pretty sure Bruce praises "Baby Blue" quite a bit here and there, maybe because he was more involved with the Light Album.

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

I recall reading Bruce being asked about plans to reissue Pacific Ocean Blue, and he said he didn't care, didn't like it, he preferred Carl Wilson's solo albums, and that POB wasn't commercial and a reissue wouldn't sell (!). So clearly he doesn't rate Dennis all that highly. Funnily enough though, I also remember an interview with him from 1970 in I think the NME or Melody Maker (it's probably scanned on this site somewhere) where he's asked if he has any solo plans, and he says a Dennis Wilson solo album would be more commercial than anything he might be able to do.

Bruce who, let us not forget, wrote the Barry Manilow (s)hit 'I Write The Songs'. We can all await the exctatic reviews and record sales that will no doubt greet any future re-issue of Going Pubic. Sorry, Public.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »

Bruce has talent but sometimes has questionable taste. He probably bugs me the most of the Beach Boys, mainly because I see him as a sort of syncophantic goody-goody to whatever the corporate line happens to be at the time*. But whatever. He's a Beach Boy and for the half dozen or so songs he contributed, you have to give him props. Well you don't have to. But I do.

*unless it's hippy-inflected.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »

Bruce is a square, the Pat Boone of the BB's, but at least he calls 'em like he sees 'em.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »

I recall reading Bruce being asked about plans to reissue Pacific Ocean Blue, and he said he didn't care, didn't like it, he preferred Carl Wilson's solo albums

Not surprising....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »

I used to think it was Brian, but now I think it's Dennis singing "close your eyes and lean back" in a goofy voice before finishing the rest of the verse.

Can't say I agree, the pronunciation is totally Brian, and the setup of the vocals for the song dictates that someone else should sing that part. See the beginning - Brian sings, "Hanging down from my window" Mike sings "Those are my wind chimes." The "On a warm breeze" line, Carl sings "On a warm breeze the little bells..." and then Dennis sings "Tinkle like wind chimes." The entire song follows that setup, thus it'd be odd for one person to do an entire line. Add to that that it sounds just like Brian, and well...

If you can find the bootleg rough stereo mix, Brian actually sang "Close your eyes and lean back now" as per the original version. Hearing the way "now" is sung, the case for it being Brian grows even stronger, to my ears.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:01:37 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
MBE
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »

Like on all things Bruce flip flops a lot. I've heard him trash Smile and heard him say he loves it. Same with Dennis, same even with Brian at times. Just a strange character.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »

Like on all things Bruce flip flops a lot. I've heard him trash Smile and heard him say he loves it. Same with Dennis, same even with Brian at times. Just a strange character.

True. He's got mad eyes. I remember him saying in a Q interview several years ago re SMiLE: 'Brian had us crawling around doing stupid farm animal impressions, it was f**king embaressing [humiliating]'. Now here he is saying he loves it...
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

In that interview series he calls Dennis an amazing musician and underrated. I truly enjoy Bruce for his interviews. What he says in them can be at times bewildering. Bruce more often than not seems to be praising the genius of Mike Love. Is he trying to keeep the Loverster happy?

On stage I have no idea what he contributes. I guess he figures waving, clapping, and adjusting his microphone serve his musical abilities the best. I know Love gets a lot of flack for being the cheesemeister but Bruce IMHO is just  as much up there in the area of fromage.
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »

Agreed, specially with the last sentence! Bruce was/is Mr.Riddle of The Beach Boys imo. His inconsistencies are beyond me.

His inconsistencies explained: Bruce is an unenlightened person. He doesn't pay attention. He has talent, but not the kind the Beach Boys need that much, unless you consider 'trained seal' clapping talent.

Isn't Bruce the 'guy' who came up with that brilliant concept of the Beach Boys being just surfing doris days?
If I had to single out one member of the Beach Boys who seems like a 'surfing doris day' it would be Brooce.

Message to Bruce. Get some proper trousers; get your boom mic stand repaired; keep your hands on the keyboard; discard the dopey hawaiian shirts and stand up straight. Show some respect for the band you're lucky enough to be in.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2012, 02:33:54 PM »

Bruce more often than not seems to be praising the genius of Mike Love. Is he trying to keeep the Loverster happy?

First, Mike deserves to get praised for his great work with the band.
I first saw this radical praising of everything Mike does (even stuff that's not worth to be mentioned) when Brian was goin' 'round telling everybody that his new band is so much better than the Beach Boys and Mike and Bruce were not happy with that. IIRC Bruce posted that he still has all the respect for Brian but was very displeased with those statements. And from there on it really became enormous with his praise of Mike. At least that's how I remember it and of course all of that could have nothing to do with it.

Isn't Bruce the 'guy' who came up with that brilliant concept of the Beach Boys being just surfing doris days?

Context !
"The public thinks of us as surfing Doris Days."

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »

I don't think Bruce needs his mic boom repaired. I saw him repeatedly adjust his mic in Berkeley earlier this month and I've seen him mess with it a lot on previous YouTube videos when he sang Disney Girls. I think it's a nervous habit. It's better than watching him adjust his schwanz, I guess. Bruce feels more secure in his white shorts walking across the stage smiling and clapping his hands and waving to the crowd. But I did see him do a helluva good version of Disney Girls out West here.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:13:34 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2012, 03:17:01 PM »

Context !

That's the quote, yes. Doesn't excuse the fact that he (Bruce) launched that inappropriate concept into Beach Boy lore.

First off, it's total b*llsh*t, even IF there was someway to prove it, which there is not.
What purpose does a comment like "the public thinks of us as surfing doris days." serve? It's not constructive. It's really more a veiled insult than a serious explaination of anything and it, more than any of his many questionable statements, belies the shallowness he commands.

Secondly, it's a double insult on Doris Day, who is a very talented and genuinely nice person who Bruce needlessly drags into his ridiculous comparison. She doesn't surf or perform rock and roll. So what he's really saying is that, like Doris Day, the Beach Boys are 'white bread'. Implication? The public rejects 'white bread'.

If 'white bread' is not the implication, then he's implying that Doris Day herself is short on public appeal. Which again is false.

I've often wondered what Terry thought about Bruce's thoughtless statement.

Certainly Bruce counted himself 'rather clever' with that little remark. Just like he probably thinks 'Tears in The Morning' is one terrific Beach Boy classic.  Roll Eyes

So when Bruce's comment is righteously unpacked, it reveals Bruce to be playing reverse devil's advocate for the sake of a moments media titilation and his own sense of 'cleverness'.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

Bruce was also quite good on his backing vocals at the Camden, NJ show Saturday night. Al fiddles around with his guitar quite a bit during shows, like guitarists always did betwwen songs back in the 70s. Believe me, everyone up front was quite happy that Bruce was interacting with them throughout the show. Watching from afar or being right there makes all the difference when viewing what Bruce does at concerts.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »

Context !

That's the quote, yes. Doesn't excuse the fact that he (Bruce) launched that inappropriate concept into Beach Boy lore.

First off, it's total b*llsh*t, even IF there was someway to prove it, which there is not.
What purpose does a comment like "the public thinks of us as surfing doris days." serve? It's not constructive. It's really more a veiled insult than a serious explaination of anything and it, more than any of his many questionable statements, belies the shallowness he commands.

Secondly, it's a double insult on Doris Day, who is a very talented and genuinely nice person who Bruce needlessly drags into his ridiculous comparison. She doesn't surf or perform rock and roll. So what he's really saying is that, like Doris Day, the Beach Boys are 'white bread'. Implication? The public rejects 'white bread'.

If 'white bread' is not the implication, then he's implying that Doris Day herself is short on public appeal. Which again is false.

I've often wondered what Terry thought about Bruce's thoughtless statement.

Certainly Bruce counted himself 'rather clever' with that little remark. Just like he probably thinks 'Tears in The Morning' is one terrific Beach Boy classic.  Roll Eyes

So when Bruce's comment is righteously unpacked, it reveals Bruce to be playing reverse devil's advocate for the sake of a moments media titilation and his own sense of 'cleverness'.

See, the thing is that when he actually said the Doris Day quote, the hip and trendy did look at The Beach Boys that way. You need to understand the time and context that it was said in, not like he said it yesterday.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2012, 03:40:01 PM »

I doubt Bruce would say anything bad about Doris Day, anyway..
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »

I take it that you consider Bruces remark a compliment to Doris Day?

Sure. IF the idea behind the remark was meant to be flattering to the Beach Boys (which is was not), then yes, comparing the Beach Boys (success and talent) to Doris Day's (success and talent) would not be anything bad.

But it wasn't meant to be flattering, so I don't understand why you'd say that.

The implication in the 'Doris Day' comment by Bruce is that there is something lacking or undesirable about Doris Day that allows an unfavorable comparison. No amount of back pedaling with 'context' or 'intent' can change that.

Let's be generous and say that Bruces statement was an unwitting insult to Doris Day and an uncalled for comment about the Beach Boys. He should leave that kind of crap to musicologists and sociologists.

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »

Sure. IF the idea behind the remark was meant to be flattering to the Beach Boys (which is was not), then yes, comparing the Beach Boys (success and talent) to Doris Day's (success and talent) would not be anything bad.

The implication in the 'Doris Day' comment by Bruce is that there is something lacking or undesirable about Doris Day that allows an unfavorable comparison. No amount of back pedaling with 'context' or 'intent' can change that.

Let's be generous and say that Bruces statement was an unwitting insult to Doris Day and an uncalled for comment about the Beach Boys. He should leave that kind of crap to musicologists and sociologists.
Are you on something? Never heard anybody talk that much about Doris Day before...

(Bruce was friends with Doris Day's son, by the way..)

EDIT:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:52:39 PM by Lowbacca » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »

You do know that Terry Melcher was Doris Day's son, right? The two sang together as Bruce & Terry and the Rip Chords. That Terry produced The Beach Boys long after that quote was attributed to Bruce. Believe me, Doris Day knows her fan base and they were not the kids of the late sixties. You are taking all this stuff way too much to heart. It was a joke, son, as Foghorn Leghorn would say. Wink
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:55:18 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »

Doris lives just up the coast from Bruce's house.  He was heavily involved in the writting and production of Doris' album last year:

http://www.dorisdaytribute.com/blog/2011/09/09/rock-legend-bruce-johnston-of-working-with-terry-melcher-on-doris-days-album-my-heart

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx